Is Joey Gathright the next Willy Taveras?

caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 06:14 AM)
Join the debate. The Royals have non-tendered him.

Who would you rather have batting leadoff or 9th?

Getz? Taveras? Lillibridge? Brian Anderson? Gathright? Reggie Abercrombie?

Explain.

Actually, I would love it if the Sox gets Joey Gathright. I've been a fan of his since he was in Tampa. I think he has more potential than Owens and Anderson, mainly because of his blazing speed, and I would also pick Gathright over Taveras because Taveras has a stress fracture on his leg just recently. I think Joey Gathright is due for a break-out season, and it would be nice if it happened while he was playing on the south side.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 13, 2008 -> 07:14 AM)
Join the debate. The Royals have non-tendered him.

Who would you rather have batting leadoff or 9th?

Getz? Taveras? Lillibridge? Brian Anderson? Gathright? Reggie Abercrombie?

Explain.

1) Lillibridge

2) Anderson

3) Getz

Last people on earth

Gathright

Reggie

I really don't want to see one of our young guys leading off because I think that puts too much pressure on them. The last thing we'd want to do is thrust these guys into a position that increases their chances of failure. Getz (at 2B) should hit second because that role actually takes pressure off him, as it makes him concentrate more on fundamentals and actually seeing the baseball. OBP is Also, when he make outs in sacrifice situations he would be actually rewarded for it as opposed to looked down upon for the decline in batting average.

If Taveras is acquired (because Gathright won't be, and the Hudson/Figgins/Roberts options all appear to be unrealistic at this point), I'd lead him off to start with while the young players get acclimated to the big leagues. Getz would be an ideal fit for the 2 hole, but if Nix or Lillibridge become the 2B I wouldn't want them there. With Taveras leading off and Getz out of the picture, Lilli/Nix hit 9th and Alexei hits second.

If things remain as they are, I'd probably lead off with Alexei because he has the most MLB experience of all the candidates and he makes very good contact, even though he rarely walks. If Anderson or Lillibridge end up in CF (because I'm not even considering Owens although I understand Ozzie and Kenny are) then the winner of the job would hit 9th. I'd have Getz hit 2nd if he wins the 2B job, but if Nix or Lillibridge take it and Getz becomes a bench player (which I don't see as likely BTW) then I'd have AJ hit second again behind Alexei, simply because options would be so limited. Lillibridge and Anderson don't make enough contact to hit well in that spot.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Dec 15, 2008 -> 02:09 PM)
Joey Gathright is one of my favorite players of all time when he is making the league minimum. I think Jenks might get a little pissed if he comes here though.

Because Gathright was the one who broke Jenks' streak in 2007? lol Hmmmm, it'd be interesting how Bobby would react had they both played on the same team.