Iraqi "journalist" throws shoes at Bush

Gregory Pratt

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 14, 2008 -> 03:24 PM)
Yeah just...why a shoe? I hate to bring in a terrible austin powers joke, but who throws a shoe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_tossing

In the Arab world: a gesture of contempt

In the Arab world, shoe flinging is a gesture of extreme disrespect.{{{author}}}, {{{title}}}, [[{{{publisher}}}]], {{{date}}}. A notable occurrence of this gesture happened in Baghdad, Iraq in 2003. When U.S. forces pulled down a giant statue of Saddam Hussein during the 2003 invasion of Iraq, many Iraqi detractors of Hussein threw their shoes at the fallen statue.

This may be an ancient gesture from the Middle East; Psalms 60:8, speaking of some of the traditional enemies of Judah, says that "Moab is my washpot; over Edom will I cast out my shoe...." (KJV)

The shoe represents the lowest part of the body (the foot) and displaying or throwing a shoe at someone or something in Arab cultures denotes that the person or thing is "beneath them." Showing the bottom of one's feet or shoes (for example, putting one's feet up on a table or desk) in Arab cultures is considered an extreme insult. Examples include Iraqi citizens smacking torn-down posters of Saddam Hussein with their shoes, and the depiction of President of the United States George H. W. Bush on a tile mosaic of the floor of the Al-Rashid Hotel's lobby, forcing all visitors entering the hotel to walk on Bush's face to enter the hotel.

During President George W. Bush's surprise visit to Iraq in December 2008, an Iraqi man threw shoes at him during a press conference with Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Kamel al-Maliki.[1]. President Bush later told reporters that he did not feel the incident was a "big deal" and that it "did not represent the Iraqi media as a whole."

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 14, 2008 -> 10:23 PM)
Someone should have beat the s*** out of him. Regardless of your level of derangement, he is still our president, and those bastard-ass jackholes should show him some respect.

Bulls***. We, as Americans should. But, I won't judge how they feel about him in Iraq.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 14, 2008 -> 08:23 PM)
Someone should have beat the s*** out of him. Regardless of your level of derangement, he is still our president, and those bastard-ass jackholes should show him some respect.

Someone finally did what 70% of Americans have wanted t do for a long tine now.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 15, 2008 -> 12:50 AM)
Someone finally did what 70% of Americans have wanted t do for a long tine now.

I think there are better, more effective, and less violent/silly methods out there to voice your opinion. But then again, it is getting attention...

I mean effective in that not many Americans will appreciate their president being attacked by shoes, or will just laugh at it.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Dec 15, 2008 -> 01:47 AM)
I think someone has a bright future at CNN!

Seriously though, who hasn't thrown a shoe at the TV when W is giving a speech? At least once.

In the first couple of years of his first term I used to cringe nervously. Then I just started to laugh.

President Bush.

Signing will be announced at US Cellular Field on Tuesday, as soon as US State Department background checks are approved and a visa is issued.

Kennny Williams had a brief statement for the media at 702 CST:

"That guy can bring it! And he's not afraid to throw at people to get them off the plate. In the past, Ozzie had problems with Sean Tracey and Jon Garland decking opponents. Well, we like this guy's long arm motion, extension and wrist snap, and feel that with a few adjustments, we can get his fastball up into the mid 90's. If he can throw a pair of shoes at speeds of 73 MPH (our JUGS assessment from video analysis), just think what he'll be able to accomplish with an offseason of tuturing with Don Cooper? We're already at the breaking point with our payroll, and, after looking at what the Pirates did in creatively assessing the pitching market and signing two former Indian national team cricket players, we think we're opening up a new Middle Eastern Pitching Pipeline, just like our vaunted Cuban Connection. Not to mention that our White Sox logo has been recently showing up on Iraqi hip hop videos as well as Al-Jazeera broadcasts. It just seemed like a good fit in terms of merchandising, and Brooks Boyer agreed that bringing more Islamic fans to Comiskey could be just the revenue stream (the Cubs just announced a plan to allow fans to skate for $10 at Wrigley Field on January 4th http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,0,65793.story) we needed to let us go out and add a Willie Taveras/Gathright/Gomez burner type that might really put us over the top in terms of competing once again for the AL Central title." The unnamed prospect will sign a one year deal for the major league minimum. "The last time I signed someone strictly from watching video, it was Tad Iguchi. We feel this guy can have a similar impact down the line for us," offered the always-interesting Williams.

Ozzie Guillen, relatively a White Sox expert on political affairs, and someone who's been unafraid to take on fellow countryman Hugo Chavez had this to say.

"We can't really go wrong with this pick-up. It's classic KW, low-risk, high-reward. He's always joking with me about our team being the United Nations. With the president's approval rating at all-time lows, we felt that the attendance boost alone by putting him out there on the mound instead of Marquez might be beneficial to our bottom line. We anticipate a walk-up gate of 5,000 plus on the nights when he pitches." Guillen had just gotten off a conference call with local Birmingham McDonald's franchisees, having forwarded a picture of Cuban 3B prospect Dayan Viciedo with a promise to send ANY cashier a $100 voucher for White Sox merchandise in return for refusing to serve Dayan any combo meal, even medium size.

Edited by caulfield12

I'd say it's a high risk low reward signing in that he assaulted the President of the United States and will likely not see the light of day for a long time.

And I don't know how much throwing he'll get to do in the Iraqi Penal league.

Edited by G&T