Yanks to sign Manny?

DaTank

According to a report in the Dominican newspaper Impacto Deportivo, the Yankees are on the verge of signing Manny Ramirez to a three-year, $75MM deal. They say negotiations are advanced and an announcement would take place Monday or Tuesday. If true, this would be an incredible scoop. However there is reason for skepticism.

per MLBTR

http://www.impactodeportivo.com.do/?op=dis...amp;format=html

The link's in Spanish.

Could somebody please use Google Translator and translate it into English for everyone else? When I tried to translate the link, it just took me to the Impacto Deportivo homepage still in Spanish.

Edited by jenks45monster

Sorry, I couldn't translate it because I'm on my phone.

But anyway... I'll be shocked if Manny signs with the Yankees. He whined about being in the fishbowl of Boston, I think he'll whine just as much or more if he ends up in the fishbowl of New York.

Something tells me the "Manny being Manny" thing won't be tolerated as much by the Steinbrenners as it was until Boston finally traded Manny to the Dodgers.

I'm actually surprised if Manny won't sign a contract with the Dodgers.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 11:33 PM)
Sorry, I couldn't translate it because I'm on my phone.

But anyway... I'll be shocked if Manny signs with the Yankees. He whined about being in the fishbowl of Boston, I think he'll whine just as much or more if he ends up in the fishbowl of New York.

Something tells me the "Manny being Manny" thing won't be tolerated as much by the Steinbrenners as it was until Boston finally traded Manny to the Dodgers.

I'm actually surprised if Manny won't sign a contract with the Dodgers.

IIRC, the Dodgers offer was at 2 years/$45 mil. a few weeks ago, and I believe Manny was seeking at least 3+ years at $25(ish) mil. per year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 11:44 PM)
And they're still the third best team in their division, IMO.

The AL East is getting more and more interesting each year. It will get even more interesting in a few years as the O's have a few interesting prospects in Wieters, Matusz, and Tillman, along with the possibility of them signing Tex.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 11:50 PM)
The AL East is getting more and more interesting each year. It will get even more interesting in a few years as the O's have a few interesting prospects in Wieters, Matusz, and Tillman, along with the possibility of them signing Tex.

Don't forget about Jake Arrieta. The O's certainly could be damn good in 2-3 years (they raped the Mariners in the Bedard trade). And the AL east is easily the best division in baseball.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 10:52 PM)
Could somebody please use Google Translator and translate it into English for everyone else? When I tried to translate the link, it just took me to the Impacto Deportivo homepage still in Spanish.

It basically says what was in the MLBTR note + Manny wanted to stay with the Dodgers but they weren't willing to pay.

That's about it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 03:04 AM)
It really depends on if or who Tampa adds to their lineup. Burrell or Bradley would be solid pieces for them at DH.

This is true, but pitching ultimately wins. Lets not forget, NYY only finished 8 games back of TB. I don't think either Burrell or Bradley is a big enough upgrade for them to counter what the Yankees have added. Last season, the Yankees only had 2 starters (Mussina and Pettite) who had 30+ starts. Darrell Rasner was their #3 SP and Sidney Ponson was their #4. They get a healthy Wang back in 09 AND they're expected to make Joba a full time starter. They have essentially gone from

Mussina

Pettite

Rasner

Ponson/Kennedy

Wang/Hughes/Pavano

to

Sabathia

Burnett

Wang

Chamberlain

Hughes/Pettite/Rasner/Kennedy/Pavano

Thats one hell of an overhaul in the rotation. Now obviously they have question marks. Can Burnett and Wang stay healthy? Will Hughes pan out? How will Joba handle a full time starter role? Will Pettite come back? Thats a very good rotation on paper.

Updates per MLBTR:

MONDAY, 8:27am: MLB.com's Bryan Hoch asked Yankees GM Brian Cashman about this report. Cashman responded: "Not true."

3:34pm: Impactivo Deportivo sticks to its guns despite the Cashman denial.

I doubt that he would ever sign there. Why? Simple reason! Since the Yankees stress the essence of having all of their players "Clean Cut" , do you honestly thing that Manny would lose the doo-rag, and whack off that whole grease mop of gnarled up licorice whips from his head? No friggin' way!