The Bears Suck

Hawkfan

well who out there do you think the bears can get that is a quarterback to build a franchise around? I think there will be some good options. Off the top of my head I'm thinking Orton, Mcnabb, Cassel, Thigpen, chris simms. any other better names out there? I like mcnabb, hopefully he doesn't win the superbowl this year

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Dec 30, 2008 -> 09:21 PM)
well who out there do you think the bears can get that is a quarterback to build a franchise around? I think there will be some good options. Off the top of my head I'm thinking Orton, Mcnabb, Cassel, Thigpen, chris simms. any other better names out there? I like mcnabb, hopefully he doesn't win the superbowl this year

this is the strangest looking franchise QB list I have ever seen

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 30, 2008 -> 08:07 AM)
Bradshaw's stats look bad by today's numbers, but they were good back in the day. For example 1977 he had seemingly a horrible passer rating of 71. But that was good for 7th best in the entire NFL.

But he only finished higher than sixth in passer rating twice in his entire career. He wasn't bad, but the fact that people lump him in with the all time greats is a complete joke.

What's the status of Cassel going into next year? Is he a free agent? I'd throw a bone at the Patriots and try to grab him. He won a lot of games this year against good teams even though he's got a defense full of 50 year old has-beens. Grant it, he has Moss, but still.

Even if we're stuck with Orton next year, lets draft a QB and groom him for the future. I'd be willing to sit through another season or two of mediocre play if it meant that there was someone waiting in the wings.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 09:25 AM)
What's the status of Cassel going into next year? Is he a free agent? I'd throw a bone at the Patriots and try to grab him. He won a lot of games this year against good teams even though he's got a defense full of 50 year old has-beens. Grant it, he has Moss, but still.

Even if we're stuck with Orton next year, lets draft a QB and groom him for the future. I'd be willing to sit through another season or two of mediocre play if it meant that there was someone waiting in the wings.

No, he has moss, a pretty good stable of running backs, one of the best lines in the league, and a team around him that went undefeated through the regular season last year.

Cassell is gonna be getting paid, I pray that the Bears are not writing those checks

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 11:08 AM)
No, he has moss, a pretty good stable of running backs, one of the best lines in the league, and a team around him that went undefeated through the regular season last year.

Cassell is gonna be getting paid, I pray that the Bears are not writing those checks

Yes, thank you, beat me to it.

I said the week after Brady got hurt to my boss and another co-worker, both Patriots fans, that Cassel was going to do fine filling in for Brady, for all those reasons. The Patriots are like a machine, take out one cylinder and as long as the other cylinders are firing, a replacement won't be as good, but it'll still work fine. If I'm the Patriots, I'm hoping I can keep Cassel another year or two somehow, since it's starting to look like Brady's setbacks will keep him out for part of '09.

I really doubt Cassel will do anything on the Bears, or do much anywhere else for that matter.

I disagree. You don't put up games with 300+ yards and 3+ td's unless you have talent. Plug Orton into the Patriots offense and you wouldn't get that kind of production.

And their running backs were not solid - they were hurt all year. Kevin Faulk isn't exactly a quality back. Moss was big, but name me another big time threat they have?

I'm not saying he's the next Tom Brady, but give the guy a decent line with some decent passing threats and I think he'll be a winner.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 10:15 AM)
Yes, thank you, beat me to it.

I said the week after Brady got hurt to my boss and another co-worker, both Patriots fans, that Cassel was going to do fine filling in for Brady, for all those reasons. The Patriots are like a machine, take out one cylinder and as long as the other cylinders are firing, a replacement won't be as good, but it'll still work fine. If I'm the Patriots, I'm hoping I can keep Cassel another year or two somehow, since it's starting to look like Brady's setbacks will keep him out for part of '09.

I really doubt Cassel will do anything on the Bears, or do much anywhere else for that matter.

The Broncos were like this for years with their running backs. Their O-Line was so damn good (and so damn dirty) that Denver could throw just about anyone in at RB and they were putting up huge numbers.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)
I disagree. You don't put up games with 300+ yards and 3+ td's unless you have talent. Plug Orton into the Patriots offense and you wouldn't get that kind of production.

And their running backs were not solid - they were hurt all year. Kevin Faulk isn't exactly a quality back. Moss was big, but name me another big time threat they have?

I'm not saying he's the next Tom Brady, but give the guy a decent line with some decent passing threats and I think he'll be a winner.

Um, Wes Welker? Jabar Gaffney? Sammy Morris? BenJarvis Green-Ellis? Kevin Faulk? Lamont Jordan? Ben Watson?

Sure, some of those guys got hurt, but they all contributed

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 11:58 AM)

Yeah... you probably would actually. Not identical numbers but 3000+ yards, 20 TDs, and a decent QB rating. Nobody's confusing Kyle Orton's jersey number with Peyton Manning, but even Orton can complete deep passes to Randy Moss when he has all day to do it, and did you forget about Wes Welker, who always seems to be open?

edit: also, that last statement kind of contradicts because the Bears don't have anything like that... an average line at best (with holes, but in fixable condition), good running game, good TEs, but horrible WR corps.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Dec 31, 2008 -> 08:47 PM)
Actually, NE franchising Cassel isn't unlikely at all. They might do it just for insurance. If Brady is 100%, Cassel'll walk after next year. If not, Cassel will get franchised again or signed long term.

Franchising a QB right now will cost like $14 million in cap space next year, all guaranteed $. No way the Pats do that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 03:29 PM)
Franchising a QB right now will cost like $14 million in cap space next year, all guaranteed $. No way the Pats do that.

There was an article somewhere(can't remember where) basically stating the Pats were considering it because of Brady and they are also thinking about doing it and then trading him. I don't know if that would be legal or not as I'm not familiar with the NFL's CBA.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 11:02 PM)
There was an article somewhere(can't remember where) basically stating the Pats were considering it because of Brady and they are also thinking about doing it and then trading him. I don't know if that would be legal or not as I'm not familiar with the NFL's CBA.

Franchising him and trading him is totally allowed also. But the problem again becomes the gigantic cap hit. $14 million is monstrous. Basically, that's the kind of cap hit you expect to take to sign a QB to a multi-year deal, and they'd be signing him to a 1 year deal and thus guaranteeing him a gigantic contract. More than 1/2 the league would be immediately out of the running for him because they don't have the cap space, and a good chunk of the rest already have QB's or have other needs to spend their cap space on.

Give you some comparison. When Derek Anderson had that great season for the Browns, they signed him to a 3 year deal. The guaranteed money? Basically $14.5 million. But that's spread out over a couple seasons. So, to sign Cassell to a longer deal than that 1 year, you'd have to guarantee him a lot more than the $14 million guaranteed he'd get if he were franchised.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 30, 2008 -> 08:34 PM)
Why? You can groom a franchise QB more easily than drafting one and getting lucky. There are probably more franchise qb's that are later round picks than 1st round picks. The problem is teams like the Bears think that guys that suck (or are mediocre at best) for multiple seasons will somehow turn it around. Or, more accurately, they believe that putting a mediocre QB on the field with an expected good running game and defense is a recipe for success. I think history shows that your odds of success are pretty low using that formula (like 2 super bowl appearances in four decades). Who on the roster are they grooming for the future? They have no plan. For the 5th year in a row now we're hoping some mediocre QB can manage a game and allow the defense to win it for us. It's pathetic.

The Titans, Vikings, Ravens, Dolphins, Steelers, Panthers, Falcons, and Giants all agree that it's a pretty good philosophy.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 01:02 AM)

I believe the way it works is that once they place the franchise tag on Cassel, it just means that they have exclusive rights to negotiate with him. He can take the one year deal or they can offer a multi-year dear. Or they can trade him but they get 2 draft picks out of the deal.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
Roethlisberger, Delhomme and Eli Manning are mediocre?

yeah. I'm probably being nice to Roethlisberger too, because he was pretty terrible this year.

In regards to QB rating...Manning 15th (86.4), Delhomme 18th (84.7), Roethlisberger 24th (80.1).

I don't know why you didn't question Chad Pennington, seeing as how he had the 2nd best QB rating in the game, but my reasoning behind him is merely that I think he is. He was fantastic this year, but overall has been a mediocre QB.

I will also say that Eli Manning might be the most overrated player in the entire NFL. People consider him an elite QB when quite frankly he is anything but an elite QB. Mediocre completion percentage, yards thrown, touchdowns thrown, and QB rating...the only thing he was good at, and pretty much fits hand in hand with a mediocre, game managing QB, is that he didn't turn the ball over much (10 INTs, 2 lost fumbles). Eli Manning is not a franchise QB.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)
yeah. I'm probably being nice to Roethlisberger too, because he was pretty terrible this year.

In regards to QB rating...Manning 15th (86.4), Delhomme 18th (84.7), Roethlisberger 24th (80.1).

I don't know why you didn't question Chad Pennington, seeing as how he had the 2nd best QB rating in the game, but my reasoning behind him is merely that I think he is. He was fantastic this year, but overall has been a mediocre QB.

I will also say that Eli Manning might be the most overrated player in the entire NFL. People consider him an elite QB when quite frankly he is anything but an elite QB. Mediocre completion percentage, yards thrown, touchdowns thrown, and QB rating...the only thing he was good at, and pretty much fits hand in hand with a mediocre, game managing QB, is that he didn't turn the ball over much (10 INTs, 2 lost fumbles). Eli Manning is not a franchise QB.

I think one of the things that has stood out for Eli in the past two years is that he has become one hell of a closer. He usually has bleh first halves, and tends to have pretty good second halves to comeback and win the game.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)

Well, I think the thing with Chad is he was a great QB until he blew out his arm. Combine that with the suckiness of those Jets teams and you get a bad Chad Pennington.

As for Eli, I think he's a franchise QB in the making, but he hasn't lived up to the hype and I don't think he ever will. Most guys don't. Hell, Brandon Clausen was supposed to dominate college and he's sucked IMO.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 08:45 PM)
Well, I think the thing with Chad is he was a great QB until he blew out his arm. Combine that with the suckiness of those Jets teams and you get a bad Chad Pennington.

As for Eli, I think he's a franchise QB in the making, but he hasn't lived up to the hype and I don't think he ever will. Most guys don't. Hell, Brandon Clausen was supposed to dominate college and he's sucked IMO.

Jimmy?