Loaiza Selected to Start All Star Game

Chisoxfn

SN Report: Loaiza Selected to Start All Star Game

By Mario Scalise

July 14, 2003

SoxNet.net

(SN Report #569) - On Monday, White Sox ACE Esteban Loaiza was selected by all-star manager Mike Scioscia to start the all-star game on Tuesday at U.S. Cellular Field. He will be opposing the San Fransisco Giants' Jason Schmidt for the National League.

Loaiza, 31, ranks in the top 10 in the AL in wins (11, 7th), ERA (2.21, 1st), strikeouts (106, 5th), winning percentage (.688, 8th), WHIP (1.06, 3rd), innings pitched (130.1, 7th) and batting average against (.223, 4th). This will be Loaiza's first all-star appearance.

After years of mediocrity, inconsistency and injury, Loaiza has seen his career take a turn for the best in his first season with the Sox, giving up two runs or less in 14 of his 19 starts.

Coming into the season, Loaiza had never won more than 11 games nor posted an ERA below 3.62. He is on pace to win 20-plus and throw over 200-plus innings, which will be another career first.

Shortly before spring training, Loaiza signed a minor league contract with the Sox, one that consisted of him getting $500,000 if he made the team out of spring training and a $3.5 million team option for 2004.

I'm glad that Loaiza was selected as the starter! Congrats to him, he definitly deserves being the starter with the kind of year he's had after he was supposed to be our 5th starter who could give us 10-11 wins and now he's the ace of our staff.

I'm glad that Loaiza was selected as the starter!  Congrats to him, he definitly deserves being the starter with the kind of year he's had after he was supposed to be our 5th starter who could give us 10-11 wins and now he's the ace of our staff.

Correction, Mark Buehrle is the ace of our staff.

Correction, Mark Buehrle is the ace of our staff.

Uh, sorry, but no. Mark is the #2 starter on our staff.

You cannot deny Loaiza's numbers. He has clearly been better then MB.

Not only that, but the matchups as well. A R-L-R rotation I think would be better, and that would put MB in the #2 spot.

Uh, sorry, but no.  Mark is the #2 starter on our staff.

You cannot deny Loaiza's numbers.  He has clearly been better then MB. 

Not only that, but the matchups as well. A R-L-R rotation I think would be better, and that would put MB in the #2 spot.

We'll see how the numbers stack up at year's end. MB will be the ace and I already consider him the ace right now.