knightni

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't let that new thread smell last:

I went out early last night so I'd be home to ring in the new year with my kid, and even at 10:30 PM people were driving like assholes. Weaving all around, changing lanes with no signals, merging with no warning, speeding up instead of backing off when there was congestion.

You know, the usual....

EDIT: Colin Cowherd sucks. He's filling in for Mike & Mike, reminding me why I'm so glad his show is not broadcast in Chicago regularly.

Edited by The Critic

So this year 2009, I thought I would use it for the betterment of myself; So I made the following resolutions for myself.

Speak Spanish at an intermediate level by the end of the year.

Lose 50 pounds, I'm currently sitting at 269, I'm 6'4 as it stands though.

For the Spanish speaking half I've gotten a hold of Michel Thomas Spanish CDs. I can honestly say this is the best way ive ever approached learning a new language and id strongly recommend his method to anyone looking to learn and speak a new language. Right now i've got his 8 cd set sitting on my ipod and i recently learned how to made full pdfs into albums on iphoto so i put the accompanying book on my ipod as well.

for the weight loss, thats only a pound a week a for a year. I'll accomplish this by running again and and cutting pop and fast food out of my diet and cooking more meals myself, also i recently got the book eat this not that! its been pretty helpful.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 03:15 AM)
Unless something drastically happens in the next three days, (and by that I mean if everything goes right) I will have to quit my job and move back in with my mom... :(

maybe if you didnt have such a pinched face these things wouldnt happen. ;)

are in you danger of being laid off then?

QUOTE (beautox @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 01:18 AM)
So this year 2009, I thought I would use it for the betterment of myself; So I made the following resolutions for myself.

Speak Spanish at an intermediate level by the end of the year.

Lose 50 pounds, I'm currently sitting at 269, I'm 6'4 as it stands though.

For the Spanish speaking half I've gotten a hold of Michel Thomas Spanish CDs. I can honestly say this is the best way ive ever approached learning a new language and id strongly recommend his method to anyone looking to learn and speak a new language. Right now i've got his 8 cd set sitting on my ipod and i recently learned how to made full pdfs into albums on iphoto so i put the accompanying book on my ipod as well.

for the weight loss, thats only a pound a week a for a year. I'll accomplish this by running again and and cutting pop and fast food out of my diet and cooking more meals myself, also i recently got the book eat this not that! its been pretty helpful.

Those are good goals and you have good plans. Is Spanish becoming a need, or just something you've wnated to do?

Keep us updated and good luck.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 03:15 AM)
Unless something drastically happens in the next three days, (and by that I mean if everything goes right) I will have to quit my job and move back in with my mom... :(

Tough blow my man, hope everything works out for ya.

I'm not sure my iPod was designed by engineers. Seems like maybe it was designed by sales or marketing people. Or maybe retarded mountain goats.

Why on earth did they decide to design the iPod without the ability to restart it? Or shut it down? I cannot think of another piece of electronic equipment made by ANYONE that you cannot shut down/restart. Seriously. Seems basic, doesn't it?

So, my iPod is frozen, sort of. If I hit a button, the screen is just solid white. After a while, it fades to black, like it normally would. I plug it into my computer, and it says everything is normal. Sees all the files. Just the display is f***ed. So, you'd think I'd want to restart thing. But, alas, in all their wisdom, the engineers at Apple didn't feel that anyone should need to restart their iPods. And since its not frozen with the screen on, its going to take for f***ing ever for this thing to wear down the battery, so that I can restart it. It will take days, or weeks.

Drives me up a wall.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 10:21 PM)
I'm not sure my iPod was designed by engineers. Seems like maybe it was designed by sales or marketing people. Or maybe retarded mountain goats.

Why on earth did they decide to design the iPod without the ability to restart it? Or shut it down? I cannot think of another piece of electronic equipment made by ANYONE that you cannot shut down/restart. Seriously. Seems basic, doesn't it?

So, my iPod is frozen, sort of. If I hit a button, the screen is just solid white. After a while, it fades to black, like it normally would. I plug it into my computer, and it says everything is normal. Sees all the files. Just the display is f***ed. So, you'd think I'd want to restart thing. But, alas, in all their wisdom, the engineers at Apple didn't feel that anyone should need to restart their iPods. And since its not frozen with the screen on, its going to take for f***ing ever for this thing to wear down the battery, so that I can restart it. It will take days, or weeks.

Drives me up a wall.

Hmmm. You know you can restart them correct?

Sometimes it helps to read the instruction manual...or even use google....

I think you're supposed to press Menu + Center Button at the same time, and hold it for a while. Keep doing that for like 10 seconds at a time. If it doesn't work the first time, flip the safety switch on top so that the buttons don't work, and press the buttons really hard for a few seconds, turn off the safety switch, and do the 10 second thing again. Should work eventually.

So my dad tells me that my brother is getting evicted because of an incident that happened a couple weeks ago. My brother told me his landlord was talking about putting him out but I assumed it was because of something financial since he had a rough couple of months. But my dad told me it's because he was sitting outside drinking with his workout buddy, who is an ex-con (vehicular manslaughter, which was no surprise to me when I found out since the guy drives like a complete f***ing asshole), and somehow during the course of that conversation the dude gets pissed and says "why didn't you tell me my old lady was f***in someone else while I was in jail" and punches my brother in the face. So he is knocked unconscious, when he comes to, the cops are there, he misses 10 days of work.

IMO, it's bulls*** that he's getting evicted, I could see if he was starting trouble, but his only mistake here was having an asshole for a friend, so this is literally insult to injury. It's even more bulls*** if it prevents him from being able to rent another place because he was kicked out of this one. He thinks it's because they're trying to get a bunch of middle-aged tenants with kids to live there, and since he's the last young guy it's a convenient reason to kick him out.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 10:13 AM)
Those are good goals and you have good plans. Is Spanish becoming a need, or just something you've wnated to do?

Keep us updated and good luck.

Its something I've wanted to do for a while, and it'll help me in my job a lot; so its a win win in my eyes.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 11:11 PM)
Hmmm. You know you can restart them correct?

Sometimes it helps to read the instruction manual...or even use google....

I've had the iPod awhile, don't have the manual anymore. Looked online and the algorithm of keys didn't work for me. My search may not have been very good.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 11:30 PM)
I think you're supposed to press Menu + Center Button at the same time, and hold it for a while. Keep doing that for like 10 seconds at a time. If it doesn't work the first time, flip the safety switch on top so that the buttons don't work, and press the buttons really hard for a few seconds, turn off the safety switch, and do the 10 second thing again. Should work eventually.

I did eventually get a message from someone on how to reboot it, and this worked:

Slide the lock switch to locked, then unlocked.

hold the play button and the center button at the same time for about 2 seconds.

Hold the menu button and the center button at the same time for about 10 seconds.

I still wonder why Apple couldn't just have a power button.