2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 01:35 PM)
That's an excellent guy for the Rockies to pick up given their ballpark.

I'm a pretty big fan of Matty Murton, so i hope he works out their. If he and Carlos Gonzalez work themselves out they've got a pretty solid future. They really need to get rid of Helton in the worst way though.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 4, 2009 -> 02:59 PM)
I'm a pretty big fan of Matty Murton, so i hope he works out their. If he and Carlos Gonzalez work themselves out they've got a pretty solid future. They really need to get rid of Helton in the worst way though.

they have Helton for 3 more years at ridiculously expensive prices. They'd have to eat probably two bad multi-year contracts just to get the team to listen. It's probably worth it just to keep him unless some team is willing to eat the entirety of the contract (teams wouldn't even think of it until the last year, and even that would have to be at the deadline) and just let him continue putting up monster OBP's.

Twins say that Crede looks only 75% healthy. I'm sure it's been mentioned on here since it was on Rotoworld, but funny nonetheless. Boras, of course, says Crede is perfectly healthy.

The Twins have been monitoring [Crede's] recent workouts in Arizona and came away believing he was only moving at 75 percent.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/39...QL7PQLanchO7DiU

Pirates extend Nate McClouth:

He gets a $1.5 million signing bonus and salaries of $2 million this year; $4.5 million in 2010; and $6.5 million in 2011. Pittsburgh has a $10.65 million option for 2012, with a $1.25 million buyout.

In addition, he can earn up to $1.75 million in escalators. For 2011 and 2012, his salary could increase by up to $500,000 annually: $200,000 if he was an All-Star the previous year; $200,000 if he was a Gold Glove winner the previous year; and $100,000 if he was a Sliver Slugger winner the previous year.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/basebal...0,4840838.story

O's closing in on extension with Roberts

Sources: Club nearing 4-year deal with 2-time All-Star second baseman

By Jeff Zrebiec10:02 AM EST, February 18, 2009 FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - The Orioles and second baseman Brian Roberts are close to completing a four-year contract extension that could be announced as early as tomorrow, according to several team sources.

Terms of the deal aren't known at this point, but one source familiar with the negotiations said that the two sides are "close." Some details still have to be worked out, the source said, and Roberts will have to pass a team physical, which could take place tomorrow before the first workout of position players.

The Orioles will hold a news conference after the physical to announce the deal with Roberts, a homegrown talent who has developed into a two-time All-Star and one of the game's better leadoff men.

In recent days, Orioles president Andy MacPhail acknowledged that he has narrowed the gap with Mark Pieper, Roberts' agent. Roberts deferred comment yesterday until tomorrow, an indication that perhaps a deal is near.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 02:57 PM)

The deal is finalized. Per ESPN

ORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Brian Roberts has signed a $40 million, four-year extension so he won't have to worry about being traded anytime soon, nor will money be an issue in the foreseable future.

The Baltimore Orioles second baseman already was due $8 million this year and would have been eligible for free agency after the World Series. His new deal calls for salaries of $10 million annually through 2013.

The 31-year-old Roberts played in 155 games with the Orioles in 2008. He set a team record with 51 doubles and reached career highs with eight triples and 181 hits. He is a two-time All-Star entering his 11th season with the organization.

What a f***ing tool:

Toby Hall will undergo shoulder surgery to fix a torn labrum.

The Astros are now allowed to void his minor league contract and will probably do just that. It was a tough decision for Hall, but he's fourth on the team's depth chart anyway. "It gives me a little peace of mind to go get (the surgery)," Hall said. "Seeing the MRI and seeing what I've been dealing with the last couple of years, it kind of puts me at ease to go get it fixed.