2009 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering...Kerry Wood. How does a closer with a 4.97 ERA have even as many as 15 Saves? It's boggling my mind.

Why is that boggling your mind? Saves is pretty much a worthless stat. Give me the best pitcher in any scenario. Screw the "closer" mentality crap.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 06:09 AM)
Why is that boggling your mind? Saves is pretty much a worthless stat. Give me the best pitcher in any scenario. Screw the "closer" mentality crap.

haha

Its pretty clear some guys are not made to throw the ninth. Like when Linebrink was good last year if you pitched him in the 9th he sucked, but in the 8th he just shut guys down.

The worst stat in baseball is Wins tho, at least a save has generally some pressure to it, one last inning, 1 run game, its harsh

a win, you throw 5 innings, get killed, but your team hits well and u get the win, lol.

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 10:48 PM)
The worst stat in baseball is Wins tho, at least a save has generally some pressure to it, one last inning, 1 run game, its harsh

a win, you throw 5 innings, get killed, but your team hits well and u get the win, lol.

meh some people say its worthless, but you know a pitchers good if they're able to gather a ton of wins on a bad team. And you don't fluke yourself into a career thats like 50-100 games over .500

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 10:48 PM)

To just disregard the win stat is as bad as people who solely judge pitchers on it. I mean obviously there are a lot of stats to look at when judging a pitcher and sometimes people concentrate just on wins, that being said it is a very important stat just not the end all.

Didn't want to waste a new thread on this guy. Hope this report is wrong. Hineybirdi to the once-proud

Tribune.

Oh well, maybe his Oz/Kenny rants keep the team honest. He's really the only critical, albeit piece of s*** columnist in the city at least from what I can tell.

I really dislike his columns, though.

Cesar Carrillo, my former high school teammate at Mount Carmel, is making his ML debut tomorrow for the Padres. He's battled all kinds of elbow trouble since being drafted, but it's still great to see him make it to the bigs! I was able to take the day off, so I'll gladly make the short trip to Milwaukee to cheer him on! Congratulations and good luck, Cesar!

Edited by BaseballNick

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
Wouldn't surprise me to see him end up in Chicago, with either the Sox or Cubs. KW was interested in him in the past.

I'd believe it. With the bullpen struggles from both clubs, one of them may as well give him a shot.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 02:22 PM)
Very low risk move too. Its been two years since he's been good, but he was really good for a 3 year run.

I think he'd need regular work though and that would be hard for him to find as a righty. IMO we'd be better off staying with Nunez because we could freely send him up and down depending on what our needs are ATM, specifically with the 5th starter situation until Peavy gets back.

I'd also like to call up each one of Link, Harrell, and Santeliz for a quick cup of coffee before Aug. 31 since they're already on the 40-man roster. That way, if any of those 3 or Nunez goes on a run at the end of September as September call-ups that player will be playoff eligible.

However I do hope Kenny is looking at Wagner and any other power lefties he can find who might be able to clear waivers. I don't trust Randy Williams. I'd name more lefties but I can't think of any other ones that would slip through waivers.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 10:29 AM)
Cesar Carrillo, my former high school teammate at Mount Carmel, is making his ML debut tomorrow for the Padres. He's battled all kinds of elbow trouble since being drafted, but it's still great to see him make it to the bigs! I was able to take the day off, so I'll gladly make the short trip to Milwaukee to cheer him on! Congratulations and good luck, Cesar!

My cousin faced him in high school. Told me he had one of the ugliest K's against him. He was also a hellova hitter also. I actually wished I got a chance to face him.. :P But he was alittle older than me.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
I think he'd need regular work though and that would be hard for him to find as a righty. IMO we'd be better off staying with Nunez because we could freely send him up and down depending on what our needs are ATM, specifically with the 5th starter situation until Peavy gets back.

I'd also like to call up each one of Link, Harrell, and Santeliz for a quick cup of coffee before Aug. 31 since they're already on the 40-man roster. That way, if any of those 3 or Nunez goes on a run at the end of September as September call-ups that player will be playoff eligible.

However I do hope Kenny is looking at Wagner and any other power lefties he can find who might be able to clear waivers. I don't trust Randy Williams. I'd name more lefties but I can't think of any other ones that would slip through waivers.

Doesn't Wagner still have a year left on his contract? Harell is currently on the 7 day DL, I believe. Link hasn't pitched well.

Santeliz and Nunez are two guys the Sox like though. I think you'll see Nunez back shortly not sure when we'll see Santeliz, probably after the Barons playoff run.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 03:12 PM)
He had a small cult following here, led by Dick Allen. I think Speier will make more than Linebrink next season.

Yep, he signed a big contract and had a great debut with the Angels and than stunk the past season and a half. His velocity took a big dip so his stuff really isn't very good anymore (used to have a nice fastball). Whomever gets him will only have to pay the league minimum though so that is nice.