Bridgeport Neighborhood

nitetrain8601

Long story short, my girlfriend plans on moving and Bridgeport is one of the areas she's thinking about. I've heard mixed things about Bridgeport, however in terms of how safe it is and such. She does have a child so that would be a huge concern. I wanted to call on you fellow Chicagoans and former ones to give me a bit of info.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 01:04 AM)
I'm from the next neighborhood over. I didn't realize there were different parts of each neighborhood. It's plenty safe...it's not the ghetto.

Well we just wanted to know because she has a child and we really don't know too much based off our own experiences about Bridgeport.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 01:11 AM)
Well we just wanted to know because she has a child and we really don't know too much based off our own experiences about Bridgeport.

If she has a kid, the biggest thing to consider might be schools. In general, the Chicago Public Schools are not great, though there are some that are good.

Police station isn't there anymore. On 31st and Halsted now, but that area should still be calm. I think the area between 35th and 38th on Lowe, Union, Emerald is calm.

Most of Bridgeport is good to live in. There are some s***ty blocks, but I think you can just drive down a block once and know.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 09:36 AM)
If she has a kid, the biggest thing to consider might be schools. In general, the Chicago Public Schools are not great, though there are some that are good.

Yeah. I think the main public schools would be Healy and Mark Sheridan, which are literally two blocks from each other (Wallace St, 28th-30th). Other that that it's mostly catholic schools. If she works downtown or takes public transportation a lot, somewhere close to the Red Line/the Cell (30th-34th & Wells, Princesten, Shields, even Normal) or Orange Line would work too, although I would say the area by the Red Line is better than the Orange Line.

QUOTE (Molto @ Jan 2, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
Yeah. I think the main public schools would be Healy and Mark Sheridan, which are literally two blocks from each other (Wallace St, 28th-30th). Other that that it's mostly catholic schools. If she works downtown or takes public transportation a lot, somewhere close to the Red Line/the Cell (30th-34th & Wells, Princesten, Shields, even Normal) or Orange Line would work too, although I would say the area by the Red Line is better than the Orange Line.

I believe one of the apartments she is looking at is two blocks north of the one on 28th and Wallace.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 1, 2009 -> 11:00 PM)
Long story short, my girlfriend plans on moving and Bridgeport is one of the areas she's thinking about. I've heard mixed things about Bridgeport, however in terms of how safe it is and such. She does have a child so that would be a huge concern. I wanted to call on you fellow Chicagoans and former ones to give me a bit of info.

Hey nine...ask Molto or Shipps. They both live in Bridgeport and are very familiar with the area.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)
Why Bridgeport though? Its a nice enough area and has some extremely overpriced properties and some undervalued properties, but why is she looking at that area in particular?

It's close to all highways she would need to get a hold of, not far off from downtown at all, and she likes the schools in the area.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jan 3, 2009 -> 09:42 PM)
oh God no! Not Wrigley Field! haha

Well, Boystown is a pretty decent neighborhood too, if you don't mind a bunch of rainbows and whatnot on the main street in your town. :)

Edited by lostfan