Sox close to signing 2 pitchers??

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 03:53 PM)
Considering Lowe has a top offer of 3-36 I dont think Garland, who is not close to the pitcher Lowe is, will get anywhere close to 12. I bet he signs for around 7-9 per.

Lowe will get more than $12M. Remember, that's the offer he turned down.

Things have been slow, but the free agent feeding frenzy looks like it's starting to pick up a little.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scenario @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 10:51 PM)
I'd be willing to bet someone offers Garland 3 years - $36M.

And I can't see him getting less than $10M per year.

I'm not suggesting that he's worth $12M per year, or that we should pay that.

But I think somewhere along the line before the season starts some pitching hungry team will pony up the money.

He's healthy. He's still relatively young. He doesn't walk alot of people. He's had success in the relatively recent past. He's had successful playoff experience.

Yeah... somebody will pony up.

And I doubt it will be us.

$8-$10M a year tops. I think the big money is gone and reality sets in. Gareland will get what he has been getting alhtough incentives might be an option. I have always liked Jon Garland, but whether signing with the Sox is an option is a different story

QUOTE (scenario @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 03:56 PM)
Lowe will get more than $12M. Remember, that's the offer he turned down.

Things have been slow, but the free agent feeding frenzy looks like it's starting to pick up a little.

That doesn't mean the money will be there. I bet Lowe gets $13-14 mill a year and Garland winds up getting $8-9. I'd also be more inclined to believe that a lot of the young-ish players, such as Garland, will take 1 year offers to build up their value. Sheets might fit into that category as well, but he had a pretty damn good year last year so I don't know how much more he can build up his value.

Sheet is the most intriguing of the guys still out there, but KW would have to pay $12-14 million to get him for just one year I think...not sure if he will be relegated to an incentives-laden deal like Crede perhaps. The only thread of logic is some of these guys signing just one year contracts with the hopes of going back into the market off healthy years...on the other hand, they could get hurt, the economy could further tumble and they would be SOL.

Perez is represented by Boras, is he not? Wolf is MEH for the money he's going to make, just like Garland.

I like the idea of a guy like Pedro just as a "bridge" for one year. Take him out of the AL/NL East and he might have a chance for half a season. Maybe he would be a good presence to mentor/tutor Danks/Floyd and the younger pitchers, as well as having him around to look after Viciedo and increase his professionalism.

Lyon would be good insurance for Linebrink and Dotel...and he's not costing us Type A compensation, that's big. You know with the bullpen, those guys can rebound and have lights-out years after crappy ones, especially in a new league where most hitters haven't seen him (like Linebrink in 2008) for a long time.

Lowe will probably end up with $13-14 million per season over 4, Garland around $9-11 over 3. Since Burnett, Lowe, Wolf, Garland and Perez are the last five legitimate starters on the market standing, and there's still a huge need within many organizations, that will keep the prices inflated compared to the LF/DH market, where there are too many players fighting it out for fewer and fewer positions. Hudson remains intriguing too, if his price falls far enough...but will it ever be far enough for KW to turn around and lose the first rounder he'll get for Cabrera (hopefully)?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 10:47 PM)
Do you really think Garland would take 3 for 21 after making 12million in 2008?

well, since the market has constricted he may not have a choice.

back to the topic at hand though. do people think a combination of pedro, contreras, marquez, richards, and poreda could get the sox through a season pitching out of the 4 and 5 slots?

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
Do you really think Garland would take 3 for 21 after making 12million in 2008?

Judging by how fast the market has fallen for 2nd tier free agents, I would be surprised if Garland signs a deal worth more than $21 million or three years.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 01:09 AM)
That's why you are Mr. Pessimism!

Nothing KW has said leads me to believe he will sign him. So I think it is very possible.

Anyone that remembers me from the Cubs/Dbacks series 2 years ago knows how much I love Lyon. However, I don't believe these "XM radio" reports. No offense to the person who started this thread.

If this is true, which I have doubts about, I like it as long Martinez's contract is incentive laden. I think Martinez could potentially play a role similar to El Duque did in 05. He's a bigger injury risk though, but he's a solid vet who might not have real good stuff anymore, but knows how to pitch.

As for Lloyn, he'd be a decent innings eater out of the pen with some closing experience.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 07:11 PM)
Judging by how fast the market has fallen for 2nd tier free agents, I would be surprised if Garland signs a deal worth more than $21 million or three years.

Pat Burrell getting 2 years, 16 million is a pretty clear indication that players who would have made 12-14 million last year won't be getting that this year. I can definitely see Garland only getting 3 years 21-24 million. Hell, even the Milton Bradley deal is cheap compared to what type of contracts players were getting in the previous 2 years (it was in 06 when contracts started to get crazy, right? That's when the Cubs signed Soriano and set the market, I believe).

I like how the other poster pretty much indicated that Garland would not settle for 7 million a year, even though Burrell made 14 million last year.

Edited by BearSox

I think the difference between the Burrell or Bradley and Garland, is that Garland is a starting pitcher and if he even has a decent season this year he could make a lot more money next year.

Id guess Garland signs a 1 year deal and tries again next year if he cant get anything that great.

Even if you only take 5mil this year, as long as you can get 2 for 20 next year you come out ahead of 3 for 24.

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 07:47 PM)
not question your credibilty... but you just joined the site and posted w sox fav for jones... which no one has picked up...... and this rumor is same ..... no media outlets, no other sites reporting it as well

Burrell and Giambi are pretty good though too.

I have no problem with the report...not a misleading title, citing a source, and merely asking opinions. If it turns out to be false, which is likely, then it's false. Big whoop.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 06:16 PM)
well, since the market has constricted he may not have a choice.

back to the topic at hand though. do people think a combination of pedro, contreras, marquez, richards, and poreda could get the sox through a season pitching out of the 4 and 5 slots?

I'm very nervous about that with or without Pedro. That's why if there's any smoke to the Floyd/Roberts rumors KW has to have something else for SP'ing.

As it stands now I hope he has something, even an average inning eating vetran would help a ton.

With Danks/MB/Floyd/?/and the mysterians as the rotation right now, that could seriously tax the pen too. Let's say a good case scenario pans out and the Sox get a serviciable 4th and 5th starter out of the names mentioned above, I just can't see any of those names going consistently deep in games. Not to mention Danks and Floyd are no sure things at this point.

I know I got ripped for supporting Javy, but as I've said numerous times, he was a luxury a high payroll team, like the Sox, can afford. He's going to be average at worse and eat through innings. Last year sucked because the rotation set up for him starting some vital games, most other teams would have been hurt if their 4th or 5th starter were starting those games.

We'll see, I had similar concerns last year and KW was right, the best part of this is some of us will be right and some of us will be wrong once the season starts

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 5, 2009 -> 06:43 PM)
Sheet is the most intriguing of the guys still out there, but KW would have to pay $12-14 million to get him for just one year I think...not sure if he will be relegated to an incentives-laden deal like Crede perhaps. The only thread of logic is some of these guys signing just one year contracts with the hopes of going back into the market off healthy years...on the other hand, they could get hurt, the economy could further tumble and they would be SOL.

Perez is represented by Boras, is he not? Wolf is MEH for the money he's going to make, just like Garland.

I like the idea of a guy like Pedro just as a "bridge" for one year. Take him out of the AL/NL East and he might have a chance for half a season. Maybe he would be a good presence to mentor/tutor Danks/Floyd and the younger pitchers, as well as having him around to look after Viciedo and increase his professionalism.

Lyon would be good insurance for Linebrink and Dotel...and he's not costing us Type A compensation, that's big. You know with the bullpen, those guys can rebound and have lights-out years after crappy ones, especially in a new league where most hitters haven't seen him (like Linebrink in 2008) for a long time.

Lowe will probably end up with $13-14 million per season over 4, Garland around $9-11 over 3. Since Burnett, Lowe, Wolf, Garland and Perez are the last five legitimate starters on the market standing, and there's still a huge need within many organizations, that will keep the prices inflated compared to the LF/DH market, where there are too many players fighting it out for fewer and fewer positions. Hudson remains intriguing too, if his price falls far enough...but will it ever be far enough for KW to turn around and lose the first rounder he'll get for Cabrera (hopefully)?

Didn't Burnett already sign with the Yankees?