Sox close to signing 2 pitchers??

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would you guys think about someone like Andy Petitte? I noticed he recently rejected the yankees offer to return

The New York Times reported late Monday that Pettitte has rejected the Yankees' one-year, $10 million offer, and the Yankees no longer have a standing offer for the 36-year-old left-hander.

Perhaps he wants years? He's a great pitcher when healthy

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 01:29 AM)
What would you guys think about someone like Andy Petitte? I noticed he recently rejected the yankees offer to return

Perhaps he wants years? He's a great pitcher when healthy

I think Pettitte wants the Yankees or retirement, from everything I have read anyway.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 08:14 AM)
I didn't realize that Pettitte is only 36. I say 'only' because I thought he was one of those guys that was pitching into his 40's.

He's a f***ing roider. Not that that has anything to do with your post!

Seems everyone forgot Mr. Pettitte was on the juice too.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 08:20 AM)

Those steriods were given to him by the latter day saints,so give him a break.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 08:20 AM)

No one ever suggested he was on steroids. He admitted to using HGH. Bid deal. I'm eating a bowl of HGH right now.

Either way, Petitte is pitching for the Yankees or he's not pitching.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 11:17 AM)
nobody cares about PED use now. half the league was/is using them.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
Fixed for you. I care.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
I care

I care mainly because players who aren't on PEDs anymore have usually gotten worse since that time. Pettitte really is no different, and he's much older at this point. I want nothing to do with him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 12:09 PM)
I care mainly because players who aren't on PEDs anymore have usually gotten worse since that time. Pettitte really is no different, and he's much older at this point. I want nothing to do with him.

That is one of the reasons why I care. PED's tend to be good in the short term and while they are on them, but as time goes on and/or they stop, they tend to break down pretty badly.

35 is the new 40.

I think this has to be something of a concern with Roberts as well, at least in the back of KW's mind. Maybe even Hudson.

We're unlikely to see the players improving or sustaining career numbers well into their late 30's (like Bonds) or improving them. "Prime" years for any baseball player revert back to 26/27-29/30.

Players just losing their skills pretty suddenly (like Roberto Alomar) will be more the norm again.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)
35 is the new 40.

I think this has to be something of a concern with Roberts as well, at least in the back of KW's mind. Maybe even Hudson.

We're unlikely to see the players improving or sustaining career numbers well into their late 30's (like Bonds) or improving them. "Prime" years for any baseball player revert back to 26/27-29/30.

Players just losing their skills pretty suddenly (like Roberto Alomar) will be more the norm again.

at the same time, there may be players who are actually good players that looked worse during the PED era because everyone else was that much better. For whatever reason...probably naivete...that Mark DeRosa fits into that category rather than as a PED user. It's not often that a dude has the best season of his career at the age of 33.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 6, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
at the same time, there may be players who are actually good players that looked worse during the PED era because everyone else was that much better. For whatever reason...probably naivete...that Mark DeRosa fits into that category rather than as a PED user. It's not often that a dude has the best season of his career at the age of 33.

Willie Bloomquist will.

Interesting rumor. I'd like the idea of Lyon. He had a great 2007 and a great 1st half of 08. I'm assuming something went wrong with him and hopefully it was a minor injury and he'd be better for the 09 season. That would be a nice depth signing for the pen. I'm also really curious to see if the Sox could find a way to free up some cash because given the way the market is they could get some quality prospects for the players traded and than add back some quality FA veterans at discounted rates.

Oh and I would take a chance on Pedro for the right price but would prefer a Jon Garland type. Pedro with a heavily incentive based deal would be a nice move if the Sox could get him in semi shape to give them 150 innings. That way they could have a veteran take some time in the rotation which gives Marquez/Poreda a bit more time to develop. Plus I still think Pedro will find a way to have one or two pretty solid seasons because he has good enough secondary stuff to be an above average pitcher without the dominant fastball. Of course you do have some serious injury issues (obviously).