Poll: Vazquez or Colon or neither?

Marky Mark

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather have pitching as our 4th starter in '09?

• Javy Vazquez ($11.5 Million)
    • Bartolo Colon ($1-2 million)
    • Let both the 4 and 5 SP spots go to an in house option ($400K)

I voted for Javy. I know he had a big contract, but he would of been the 4th starter on the staff going into ST and if you can pencil in a 4th starter to be average or slightly better and pitch 30 starts and 200 innings you have to take that.

Don't get me wrong, for the money I think the Colon signing was very good, but at this point (obviously the prospects can tear it up and prove me dead wrong) I'd lean towards Javy

This is an unfair poll. Sure, I'd prefer Javy, you're more than likely getting 200 innings out of him. Anyone who would say otherwise is nuts.

However, you just can't compare the two player's salaries, especially given the economic safeguard the White Sox seem to be in right now.

Straight up...Vazquez vs. Colon...with the salary constraints, you still go with Vazquez, but it's narrow.

But...Vazquez vs. Colon + the catching prospect we so sorely needed in Flowers, clearly that goes to the latter. Especially when you add in $10 million. And Lillibridge.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)
I take Colon,Braves Prospects and 10 Mil saved over Javy.

edit: forgot to include nut sack .

that's exactly it. This signing may very well end up with the Sox looking at the prospects in the rotation this season, but atleast with Colon you have a shot at having him pitch well during the season. If I'm the Sox training staff though, and Colon's healthy for interleague, I absolutely tell him to either bunt or not swing the bat at all. No need having him injure himself doing that.

so basically this question is .....are we better now than we were before the vazquez trade....it all depends on how that extra money is used...right now 1 mil of the 11 on javy salary was used on colon...which is a pretty good start...that leaves 10 mil unaccounted for...but we'll see how thats used...

i think sox fans who hated javy (jated havy) and are so excited that he is gone need to realize how important and valuable 600+ IP (over 3 years) at average to slightly above league average performance is....thats not to say we can't make up those innings with other players, but its not the easiest thing in the world to do

Edited by daa84

If we wanted to compete this year... Javy. If we want to rebuild and build a strong team for after this year, Colon, the prospects, and the 10 million.

And I believe Kenny is doing the later. I don't think he honestly believes we'll be a major playoff contender this year, but he's planning on building a solid young core for after this year (Thome will be gone, we'll have more prospects coming up, we'll have a bunch of saved money to make a splash in the free agent market-especially if the economy recovers-if we wanted to, etc). If we do wind up being a playoff contender next year, that's gravy, but I think KW saw the same things we saw, a very mediocre team that got into the playoffs by winning a weak division, and the only possible way for a world series was if they got EXTREMELY hot. I think KW wants to rebuild, and I have no problem with that. Right now we are an old, slow, all or nothing, weak pitching team. In a couple of years though, with the way our farm is looking, and all the salary we will be saving, that could all change.

It's amazing how people here forget how frustrating it was to watch Javy,how soon everyone forgets how she folds in big games...I d rather take my chances on a 400 lb injury prone former Cy Younger or Contreras coming back or even one of our young arms then on Vazquez.

Maybe I'm still bitter about watching Vazquez choke every time he took the mound towards the end of the season...you know, when we needed him. I would take Colon any day of Vazquez, especially considering the $. Forget about the bum, he's Atlanta's problem now.