Anderson on the CF Situation

ThunderBolt

Good article on MLB.com about BA's outlook on the Owens/CF Situation http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...s&partnerId.

He seems very resigned to playing second fiddle to Owens this Spring, and while he appears to be right it’s unfortunate to hear him talk like he knows he has very little to fight for.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 03:31 PM)
Fixed.

The only thing Owens does better than Anderson is run. Other then that, Owens is a failure in all aspects of the game. He is terrible in the outfield who does not know how to read a flyball, and his arm is about as good my grandma's. He's clueless at bat, and has absolutely no power.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)
The only thing Owens does better than Anderson is run. Other then that, Owens is a failure in all aspects of the game. He is terrible in the outfield who does not know how to read a flyball, and his arm is about as good my grandma's. He's clueless at bat, and has absolutely no power.

Owens' '07 > anything Anderson has ever done offensively

And this coming from probably the second biggest BA fan on this board. Brian is simply a terrible offensive player. He's improved from 2006. But what does that say? It's a shame. I think he's one of the most gifted defensive players in all of baseball. Just too much of a liability with the stick.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 04:50 PM)

In terms of walk rate and Batting Average you're correct, however, in roughly eleven more at bats than Owens’ 2007 campaign, BA in 2006 managed 13 more Extra base hits, and seven more homeruns. Not an exponential improvement, but a minor one. Plus, given their Minor League track records I’d put BA at a better percentage at succeeding in the Cell then I would Owens.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
Good article on MLB.com about BA's outlook on the Owens/CF Situation http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...s&partnerId.

He seems very resigned to playing second fiddle to Owens this Spring, and while he appears to be right it’s unfortunate to hear him talk like he knows he has very little to fight for.

I hope that if Ozzie/KW do in fact decide to go with Jerry Owens as an everyday CF, it isn't just because he fits the role of a "typical leadoff hitter".

Unless big changes are in the works, it seems silly to me to have one guy that can play small ball, followed by: AJ, TCQ, Dye, Thome, Konerko, Alexei and Fields. This really makes ZERO sense.

We don't need Jerry Owens trying to steal second base when he is followed by seven "all or nothing" hitters.

Ozzie is two years from being rid of Dye, PK and Thome. If he wants to try and play NL baseball at the Cell, let him committ suicide in 2011; Until then we need guys that can play defense, get on base and not clog the bases.

Sorry, no jokes in this one.

Edited by GREEDY

I was all about Owens last year. But the dude cant stay healthy... Im back on the Anderson bandwagon. He is our best defensive outfielder. Having him out there will probably save us many runs this year. If he can just hit .250 i'll be more than pleased...

The only issue we have right now is who the hell is our leadoff hitter? Its asking an aweful lot for Getz to jump right in as a leadoff hitter...

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 09:50 PM)

And this coming from probably the second biggest BA fan on this board. Brian is simply a terrible offensive player. He's improved from 2006. But what does that say? It's a shame. I think he's one of the most gifted defensive players in all of baseball. Just too much of a liability with the stick.

I'd rather take the given of BA's gold glove CF (I believe this board can agree BA at minimum is an above avg CF) than the hope of Owens' offense and suspect defense. This pitching staff puts the ball in play a TON, we need someone to chase down balls all 9 innings, not just the 9th. Besides, at least BA has some pop in that bat and isn't a Konerko on the bases either.

QUOTE (Allsox @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 03:49 AM)
I'd rather take the given of BA's gold glove CF (I believe this board can agree BA at minimum is an above avg CF) than the hope of Owens' offense and suspect defense. This pitching staff puts the ball in play a TON, we need someone to chase down balls all 9 innings, not just the 9th. Besides, at least BA has some pop in that bat and isn't a Konerko on the bases either.

That! ^

We have pitchers that pitch to contact. We need, no make that NEED, to have a very solid defense. Personally, I don't think we can count on much offensively from either of them. I'd have to go with BA as a starter just for the defense.

I just can't see signing Hudson.

Trading would have to get rid of Konerko/Dye and getting rid of Dye/Konerko. There would be no way to remain revenue-neutral if we traded Floyd and even were asked to bring in someone else like Mora as part of a larger deal. The only way would be to trade Dye/Konerko for younger pitching and/or Top 25 level minor league prospect in High A/AA ball. Then you could flip flop salaries and bring in someone like Hudson/Roberts and especially Figgins (cheapest option). Although from all the talk around the Net, Hudson might be forced to take $7-9 million for one season, maybe even a tick less.

This argument keeps going around in circles....Lillibridge, Owens, Getz. It seems we're stuck with the idea that if we don't add a leadoff hitter, Owens has to play, bat first and leadoff. Therefore, Anderson is SOL. At least for now. Maybe he can finally take the job in ST or Owens will be hampered by lingering injuries again. It will be interesting, to say the least. I don't think most posters here expected to see BA still around here after the conclusion of the 2006 season. Here we are 2 years later.

Edited by caulfield12

2008 Brian Anderson: 21 XBH in 181 AB (as a 4th outfielder)

2007 Jerry Owens: 13 XBH in 356 AB (as a full time player)

550 AB Brian Anderson: 64 XBH (24 HR, 40 doubles)

550 AB Jerry Owens: 20 XBH

I'd rather have Brian Anderson hitting .235 w/ 24 home runs and 40 doubles while playing GG defense in CF (which is probably the most important defensive position right now, seeing as the CF'er will be flanked by Dye and Quentin), than having Jerry Owens' pansy ass hitting .260 with garbage D and some stolen bases.

Edited by Jimmywins1

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
that's giving brian some really good power numbers right there.

I don't think it'd be out of the question for BA to hit 20 if given significant playing time. He's shown decent power at every level, the only thing that's ever suffered is his average and his walk rate.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 10:48 PM)
I was all about Owens last year. But the dude cant stay healthy... Im back on the Anderson bandwagon. He is our best defensive outfielder. Having him out there will probably save us many runs this year. If he can just hit .250 i'll be more than pleased...

The only issue we have right now is who the hell is our leadoff hitter? Its asking an aweful lot for Getz to jump right in as a leadoff hitter...

I like both Owens and Anderson, but Brian is better offsnively and is avery good fielder. Owens can run like the wind, but my concern is we might be looking at a player in the Pods mode and that ain't good cause he would be injured like 1/2 the year

And if Brian goes 2006(the last year he got regular playing time) on us again with the bat? No amount of defense will make up for that. Not in the AL. The key with Jerry is to obviously stay healthy and get on base at a good enough clip that his speed can be an asset. I think I'd rather take my chances there.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 05:25 PM)
I swear, some of you have mechanisms in your brain that cause you to have a psychotic break at the mention of Jerry Owens's name.

Well because everyone remembers last year when JO was the starting outfielder and Quentin was the 4th OF out of ST. Only a broke groin kept that abomination from happening.

What you have to remember is BA hit just .232 with Ozzie cherry picking his starts. If he were thrown to the lions and faced everybody on the other team's staffs he could easily come in at .192 again or maybe worse. In '06 the White Sox could carry him for the first half because the rest of the team hit so well. When they cooled off Ozzie had no choice but to get him out of there because he was killing the team.

The other problem with him is doesn't have a clue about situational hitting. If he could just move runners with some of his outs you could look at him differently. But as he is, he is such a hole in the lineup that even his great defense doesn't make up for it.

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 10:12 AM)
2008 Brian Anderson: 21 XBH in 181 AB (as a 4th outfielder)

2007 Jerry Owens: 13 XBH in 356 AB (as a full time player)

550 AB Brian Anderson: 64 XBH (24 HR, 40 doubles)

550 AB Jerry Owens: 20 XBH

I'd rather have Brian Anderson hitting .235 w/ 24 home runs and 40 doubles while playing GG defense in CF (which is probably the most important defensive position right now, seeing as the CF'er will be flanked by Dye and Quentin), than having Jerry Owens' pansy ass hitting .260 with garbage D and some stolen bases.

Be wary of extrapolating like that, because BA in 2008 was held to facing left-handed pitching as much as possible. His power numbers against lefties were better (8 HR vs 0 HR). As a starter, he will have to face righties in a much larger percentage of his ABs, and will not record over 60 extra-base hits. BTW I am in no way indirectly advocating that Jerry Owens should start

While that is true, you have to take into account that BA had 181 AB's in sporadic playing time, he had no chance to get into an offensive groove, he didn't have a chance to get the hot streaks & slumps that a full time player gets, I'd rather give BA a chance to have 60+ XBH and risk him hitting .200 with his defense than allow Jerry Owens to hit .260/.320/.321 over a full season with s***ty defense and one of the more overrated stats in baseball, stolen bases.

Edited by Jimmywins1

I've seen in other discussions on this same article (the comments from the link for example) people are saying BA is whining. I don't see any whining at all, it sounds like he was asked questions about his role within the organization and he gave honest answers. This wasn't like last year where he was basically pouting, it sounds like he still thinks he can make it if he gets a shot (as any player should) and he might not get that shot with the Sox.