Free agent comp question

BamaDoc

At what point in time can a Type A free agent lose the draft pick compensation? Depending on the time, I have a feeling several players may be waiting for that point as teams seem to be valuing their draft picks more highly at this time. Could affect us with Cabrerra.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 07:46 AM)
At what point in time can a Type A free agent lose the draft pick compensation? Depending on the time, I have a feeling several players may be waiting for that point as teams seem to be valuing their draft picks more highly at this time. Could affect us with Cabrerra.

bump- does anyone know the answer to this question?

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 07:06 PM)
bump- does anyone know the answer to this question?

The CBA does not provide an answer. I would guess you have until the beginning of the next season, but it might literally go on forever if the player never retires.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 07:26 PM)
I figured maybe until the draft. His compensation is based for the 2009 draft, correct?

That would be the likely answer.

I don't see any of the 7* remaining type A free agents intentionally waiting until June to sign.

*Varitek, Hudson, Juan Cruz, ManRam, OCab, Ollie Perez, Sheets

Supposedly Sheets is considering 2 years and $18 million somewhere. To put it in its proper perspective, Jon Garland made $15 million last year.

Some feel this is a sign that Sheets might have some concerns about his health and wants the guaranteed money instead of the ability to make $10+ million in just one year and wait for the "economic crisis" to lift. From what you see on the Net, there are a lot of offers out there similar to the Penny or Smoltz one with higher base salaries and the ability through meeting all incentives to get into the $13-16 million range.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 08:27 PM)
Supposedly Sheets is considering 2 years and $18 million somewhere. To put it in its proper perspective, Jon Garland made $15 million last year.

Some feel this is a sign that Sheets might have some concerns about his health and wants the guaranteed money instead of the ability to make $10+ million in just one year and wait for the "economic crisis" to lift. From what you see on the Net, there are a lot of offers out there similar to the Penny or Smoltz one with higher base salaries and the ability through meeting all incentives to get into the $13-16 million range.

Garland made $12M last season.

Oooops. I guess my Obama Overexuberance got the best of me today...with the sometimes soaring rhetoric, even past salary numbers were inflated, old White Sox greats were raised from the dead, the 2003 season actually ended up in our winning the World Series and Hawk's period as GM never actually happened, with Fisk going into the HOF in a White Sox hat.

"Hope and virtue." Sounds like all White Sox fans the last 100 years. Haha.

Rosenthal notes that free agents who accept offers of arbitration do not have guaranteed contracts. However, players such as Orlando Cabrera and Jason Varitek would've had to be released for clear baseball reasons, not to save money. Otherwise the teams would be in hot water with the Players Association.

mlbtraderumors.com

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
Incorrect. Once the draft passes he's free to sign anywhere without compensation.

I was just talking about the offseason, there is no offseason deadline. If you actually read the rest of the thread you'd see that your conclusion was reached and discussed further 3 days ago.