Illinois Driving Record

Flash Tizzle

When filling out an application yesterday I noticed a section concerning tickets and it made my grab my collar a bit. See, I've had A LOT of tickets since first receiving my license -- I'm conservatively guessing eight. Atleast four within the last five years. This isn't even including the numerous parking tickets and (one occasion) citation for not wearing a seat belt. Concerning traffic tickets I've never had any reason to doubt that filling out "Plead Not Guilty -- Attend Traffic Court" on the forms would guarantee no mention of the offense with the secretary of state.

Since I didn't have enough time from filling out the application to returning it to know how everything works, I marked down on the application that my license is currently under probation for receiving two speeding tickets within 12 months. I immediately regret doing this, as I'm not even sure I'm on probation; or whether it's the appropriate term to use. Wouldn't supervision be more appropriate? I just thought I'd rather be honest then neglect this information. The other, and more frightening, side to this is admitting my license is on probation may lead to my immediate removal from the application process.

I'm thinking, and hoping, that when this police department is reviewing my driving history there won't be any mention of past tickets. Why the hell would anyone plead not-guilty and attend traffic school to avoid a conviction with the secretary of state only to have it remain on file anyways? It's ridiculous.

Anyone order a driving record before and are familiar with its contents?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

It depends on a lot of things. If you get supervision they might get dropped even if you get ticketed again depending on the situation. However, if a police department wanted to they can see what youve gotten. Or I would look into getting any older violations expunged at your county courthouse.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Feb 1, 2009 -> 12:52 AM)
It depends on a lot of things. If you get supervision they might get dropped even if you get ticketed again depending on the situation. However, if a police department wanted to they can see what youve gotten. Or I would look into getting any older violations expunged at your county courthouse.

You are correct. When a police officer runs your drivers license information, all that he is privy to is drivers license status, convictions on your driving record, the date of the conviction, and any citations or written warnings issued to you over the past 1-2 years.

An abstract from the Secretary of State's Office will show every ticket you ever received over the past 5 years and/or every suspension/revocation/cancellation on your drivers license, the date of the ticket, subsequent court ruling/conviction, any pending traffic citations not yet ruled upon by court, and possible suspensions pending.

Traffic citations are a petty offense unless they're misdemeanors/felonies (DUI, suspended/revoked DL, Speeding over 40 MPH, etc.) No expungment needed in simple traffic. You're either convicted or not and the only way to overturn a conviction is an appeal or, after supervision, it is stricken from your driving record after 5 years and not applicable in other traffic court offenses

Edited by CubKilla

QUOTE (3E8 @ Feb 1, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)
Can a police officer from one state scan a license from another state and get the information?

Yes. Cops will always have access to your license status in all 50 States. Court will have a copy of the drivers abstract from the State of licensing if he/she requests a court date with most if not all or more of the info I outlined above.

Yes I always have thought that was weird. If you get caught going 40 in a 25 or going 75 in a 60, your punishment is the same. Yet in the first case you 60% over the limit, while in the second only 25% over

You don't even want to know what the punishment is for going 287% over is.

QUOTE (mreye @ Feb 1, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)
OK, I'll say it. How can you have so many tickets? Slow the hell down, you're going to kill someone! I haven't had a ticket since 1996 and I'm not some senior citizen driver (Like Tex and FlaSox).

I haven't had much respect for speed limits in my life. Not that I'm consistently driving 30 above, but at the minimum 10 over. Atleast I haven't until now. And I know the question is "how can you expect to enforce speeding violations as a police officer when you speed yourself." The obvious answer would be because on duty it's a different mindset. It's not as if I'd say "oh, well I speed so you can go free!"

Of course, I'd never say that during an oral interview. That's the truth, though. I'd probably say I would enforce speeding violations as I would expect any officer to do the same to me.

I figure, if worst comes to worst and I'm disqualified because of my driving record it's not anything that will affect me forever. I'm confident about everything else as an applicant aside from this. All I would need is space between my last ticket and whatever department I apply for afterwords. I'm graduating with a masters in Criminology next fall, so if I go until then without a citation of any kind then I'll be in a better position to convince someone I've learned from my mistakes.

Also, listen to this logic -- the following offenses can be expunged and sealed from your record:

-possession of marijuana, possession of a controlled substance, prostitution, Uninsured motor vehicle, Suspended registration for non-insurance, Display of false insurance, Reckless driving, Retail theft

.....yet simple speeding tickets aren't included. It's ridiculous to think someone with a clean driving record, yet guilty of any of the above can be in a better position than me if they have had their record expunged.

Eh, nothing I can really do but drive safe from here on out. I know it's my fault in every instance, but it's never encouraging to know there is nothing you can do about something that happened in the past.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Feb 1, 2009 -> 09:09 PM)
I haven't had much respect for speed limits in my life. Not that I'm consistently driving 30 above, but at the minimum 10 over. Atleast I haven't until now. And I know the question is "how can you expect to enforce speeding violations as a police officer when you speed yourself." The obvious answer would be because on duty it's a different mindset. It's not as if I'd say "oh, well I speed so you can go free!"

Of course, I'd never say that during an oral interview. That's the truth, though. I'd probably say I would enforce speeding violations as I would expect any officer to do the same to me.

I figure, if worst comes to worst and I'm disqualified because of my driving record it's not anything that will affect me forever. I'm confident about everything else as an applicant aside from this. All I would need is space between my last ticket and whatever department I apply for afterwords. I'm graduating with a masters in Criminology next fall, so if I go until then without a citation of any kind then I'll be in a better position to convince someone I've learned from my mistakes.

Also, listen to this logic -- the following offenses can be expunged and sealed from your record:

-possession of marijuana, possession of a controlled substance, prostitution, Uninsured motor vehicle, Suspended registration for non-insurance, Display of false insurance, Reckless driving, Retail theft

.....yet simple speeding tickets aren't included. It's ridiculous to think someone with a clean driving record, yet guilty of any of the above can be in a better position than me if they have had their record expunged.

Eh, nothing I can really do but drive safe from here on out. I know it's my fault in every instance, but it's never encouraging to know there is nothing you can do about something that happened in the past.

Just be honest. If they ask, they know. Lying will be what would disqualify you. If they're interviewing you in person, they have an interest in hiring you and they want to see if you have integrity. Police department's aren't looking for perfection. I know a few that were hired with suspended licenses and a DUI.

QUOTE (CubKilla @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 12:26 PM)
Just be honest. If they ask, they know. Lying will be what would disqualify you. If they're interviewing you in person, they have an interest in hiring you and they want to see if you have integrity. Police department's aren't looking for perfection. I know a few that were hired with suspended licenses and a DUI.

I figure they aren't expecting a perfect applicant, but in today's job market -- where applicants are literally tripling compared to past years -- it makes me question whether they'll consider me too much of a hassle.

I understand the importance of honesty, though. In the application process you're asked about past departments and whether or not you were disqualified from the hiring process. I'm an Eagle Scout, and being dismissed due to deceiving someone sure doesn't look good.

I'm curious how long ago were those hires involving suspended licenses and a DUI? I wouldn't expect you to list the exact departments, but were they ones where conditions/pay are terrible, such as Markham, Robbins, Harvey, etc. I'd be shocked if a well-to-do suburban police department hired someone under those conditions unless they had some "juice"

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 12:47 PM)
I'm curious how long ago were those hires involving suspended licenses and a DUI? I wouldn't expect you to list the exact departments, but were they ones where conditions/pay are terrible, such as Markham, Robbins, Harvey, etc. I'd be shocked if a well-to-do suburban police department hired someone under those conditions unless they had some "juice"

You'd probably be surprised but, as you stated, they may have an in. And it's also true that with the possiblility of more applicants, a dept may be able to become more selective. But it has been my experience that an oral interview is quite later in the hiring process. If you made it that far, there's probably a real desire to hire you. Just remember, if they ask, they know.