LA Times guide to Spring Training in Glendale

Balta1701

No idea if there's something similar in the Tribune, but frankly, we're a lot closer out here. Again, it's written from the Dodgers' perspective, but it's the same bloody field.

Let's start off with the link to the cool online interactive map of the park.

Followed by a good 4 pages of details about the park facilities. I've excerpted a lot, but there's a lot more. Details on food, parking, how to get there, ticket prices, etc. I thought the "Good/bad" seats seemed particularly useful if you wanted to go.

At Camelback, the teams have separate offices and clubhouses that overlook the stadium's main field. Each team has 6 1/2 practice fields that fan out from the central hubs. The Dodgers' offices and fields are on the left-field side, the White Sox's on the right.

This setup makes it easy for fans to wander around before a game and study the nuances of activity on nearby fields without having to walk miles. (In nearby Goodyear, at the new Indians complex -- the Cincinnati Reds will join them next year -- many of the practice fields are an inconvenient third of a mile from the stadium those teams will share.)

Contributing to the atmosphere, the Dodgers and the White Sox sides of the complex are divided by a waterway, with two large ponds connected by a spillway that runs about 1,300 feet. The winding walkways on both sides of the channel eventually will become separate Hall of Fame walks honoring each team's players and personalities from the past.

Baseball isn't the only sport on site: The lower of the two ponds is stocked with carp and soon will have a mix of bluegill, bass and catfish, so fishing is encouraged. (Because the water cycles from and to the Glendale Water Treatment plant, city officials are encouraging catch and release.)

Another unique feature: Instead of entering through the stadium's front gates, most fans will walk from the parking lots to a central rotunda entrance behind center field, next to the upper pond, a large plaza with ticket offices, food concessionaires and a bandstand. It's adjacent to the largest practice fields of both teams.

This space creates a centralized gathering point in the middle of the complex. Think park-like setting instead of a setting next to a parking lot.

Four places you want to sit

* Sections 14 to 16, right behind the plate. But these seats, closest to the field, are also the most expensive: $90 to $100 a seat.

* The best combination of location, price and roominess: sections 108 and 109 on the first-base side and 119 and 120 on the third-base side. Close to the plate, seats cost $24 to $28. (The higher ticket price in all cases is for five so-called premier games.) These sections have just eight seats per row, providing easy access to concessions and bathrooms behind them. But avoid the first two rows, for reasons explained below.

* If it's breezy and you lust after a home run ball, head for the grassy left-field berm, as close to the fence and the corner of the Dodgers' bullpen as you can get. The wind blows west to east and will push balls that way.

* If you are a sun lover, anywhere will do, but if you prefer shade, bring a cap and plenty of sunblock. With 1:05 p.m. starts, about the only shade in the stands will be in the upper rows of sections 110 to 113 on the first-base side and even then, only during late innings of a slow-moving game.

Four places you don't want to sit

* Avoid what appear to be premium seats in the first two rows of sections 106 to 124. A walkway looping the field in front of these seats is only about 3 feet below you, so unless ushers police the access, a distracting tide of humanity will cut off your view of the field. Rows C and above in these sections don't have this problem.

* If you have even a trace of claustrophobia, steer clear of seats in the middle of any of the rows in sections 103 on the first-base side and 127 on the third-base side. These are the largest sections in the park, with as many as 24 seats per row; there's minimal legroom, and getting in and out of the aisles will be a pain.

* The sections farthest down the lines from the plate -- 29 on the third-base side, 1 on the first-base side -- are deceptively enticing because they bump into fair territory. But the trade-off, especially in the front rows of these sections, is a bad angle on home plate.

* Unless you are related to or hoping to date one of the relief pitchers, the bullpen patio areas in distant right and left fields don't feel worth $30 to $36 to be that far from the action.

Couple other features, "Where to stay and eat in Phoenix and Scottsdale", Planning your trip to Glendale and 10 restaurants to sample in Phoenix and Scottsdale

Thanks for posting Balta. Gotta say though...the restaurant selection they gave was sketchy (mostly who the hell wants to drive to Chandler to eat). I figure most people will be staying on the west side or northwest (Arrowhead area). Here's my suggestions for eats.

Arrowhead area:

Abuelo's- Mexican. (South of Bell off of 83rd Ave. By the Harkins theater). OUTSTANDING! Definately in my top 3 favorites to eat at!

Cucina Tagliani- Italian. (Right on Bell and 83rd Ave area) VERY good.

Ah So- Sushi/Japanese. 2 locations. 1 at 75th Ave and Paradise Lane (just below Bell). The second is at 61st Ave and Bell. Smaller place but MUCH better food IMO.

Skye Restaurant A little upscale. Fine dining with entertainment. Excellent food!!! A little on the pricey side though. VERY NICE place. Check it out online: skye-restaurant.com/

Downtown Glendale (55th Ave & Glendale Ave)

Downtown Glendale is kind of a historic/quaint area. But these to places ARE THE BOMB.

La Piazza al Forno. Some of THE BEST food I've ever had. Great Pizza. Great Italian entrees.

Haus Murphy- German food. Great food and beer selection!

A few of my other favorites:

Pappadeaux- Cajun/Seafood. (North of Peoria Ave on the I-17 access road) One of my favs. I highly recommend crab fingers with dirty rice. Gotta have a Swamp Thing to drink too!

Texaz Grill- 16th St & Bethany Home (Phoenix). Kind of a hole in the wall steakhouse. GREAT steaks and THE BEST Chick Fried Steak you'll ever eat!

Also here's a list of places to go at Westgate (area right next to the football and hockey stadiums):

http://www.goglendaleaz.com/food/westgate_restaurants.html

Out of these places I prefer Yard House and Gordon Biersch and their ridiculous slew of beer choices.

Hope this helps a little for the people new to the area.

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 15, 2009 -> 04:20 PM)
Be nice if the Chicago papers ever did this for the Sox fans.

We're a lot closer. If I manage to know that I have a job next year from a phone call/email in the next couple weeks, I'll suddenly be considering a drive to Glendale.

Great article Balta, this will help on our trip.

Also us Sox fans from Chicago will need to know where the closest Jack-n-the Box is, they took all of ours away.

I noticed Luke Air Force Base is just down the street, maybe they can do fly overs at each game.

Why are there fishing ponds at a baseball stadium ?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 15, 2009 -> 06:22 PM)
We're a lot closer. If I manage to know that I have a job next year from a phone call/email in the next couple weeks, I'll suddenly be considering a drive to Glendale.

Great article, Balta. Thanks for posting.

Just curious, anyone planning on making the trip to Vegas for the Sox/Cubs spring games (I think like March 4/5 or so)? I'm going to try and make it out there, pending my work schedule, so if anyone is going to be in the area, I'd love to help show people around (I live in this wretched town).

QUOTE (Wanne @ Feb 15, 2009 -> 06:17 PM)
Thanks for posting Balta. Gotta say though...the restaurant selection they gave was sketchy (mostly who the hell wants to drive to Chandler to eat). I figure most people will be staying on the west side or northwest (Arrowhead area). Here's my suggestions for eats.

Arrowhead area:

Abuelo's- Mexican. (South of Bell off of 83rd Ave. By the Harkins theater). OUTSTANDING! Definately in my top 3 favorites to eat at!

Cucina Tagliani- Italian. (Right on Bell and 83rd Ave area) VERY good.

Ah So- Sushi/Japanese. 2 locations. 1 at 75th Ave and Paradise Lane (just below Bell). The second is at 61st Ave and Bell. Smaller place but MUCH better food IMO.

Skye Restaurant A little upscale. Fine dining with entertainment. Excellent food!!! A little on the pricey side though. VERY NICE place. Check it out online: skye-restaurant.com/

Downtown Glendale (55th Ave & Glendale Ave)

Downtown Glendale is kind of a historic/quaint area. But these to places ARE THE BOMB.

La Piazza al Forno. Some of THE BEST food I've ever had. Great Pizza. Great Italian entrees.

Haus Murphy- German food. Great food and beer selection!

A few of my other favorites:

Pappadeaux- Cajun/Seafood. (North of Peoria Ave on the I-17 access road) One of my favs. I highly recommend crab fingers with dirty rice. Gotta have a Swamp Thing to drink too!

Texaz Grill- 16th St & Bethany Home (Phoenix). Kind of a hole in the wall steakhouse. GREAT steaks and THE BEST Chick Fried Steak you'll ever eat!

Also here's a list of places to go at Westgate (area right next to the football and hockey stadiums):

http://www.goglendaleaz.com/food/westgate_restaurants.html

Out of these places I prefer Yard House and Gordon Biersch and their ridiculous slew of beer choices.

Hope this helps a little for the people new to the area.

thx for the info.

Can you recommend any live music venues?

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 16, 2009 -> 10:35 AM)
thx for the info.

Can you recommend any live music venues?

Depends on what kind of music.

Martini Ranch-Downtown Scottsdale. Probably the best IMO. Other clubs near by also like Axis.

Char's- A little hole in the wall (an old house off of Camelback and 7th Ave). Blues music. I actually like this place.

Margaritaville at Westgate has bands on Friday and Saturday I know. Haven't been there yet though.

Not sure if downtown by Chase Ballpark will have bands yet (usually when it warms up)...but still nice to go down there and look around and even stop by Marjerle's.

Or...

Alice Cooper's

Jackson's on 3rd.

These 2 places have live bands...but again not sure if they'll start up by March.

All in all...not much on the west side yet in terms of live music clubs. Probably have to go to Scottsdale or Mill Street at ASU for that. I'd probably recommend Martini Ranch 1st though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 16, 2009 -> 11:11 AM)
I can't wait until the end of March when I'm out there.

2009 NCAA® DIVISION I MEN’S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

Thursday, March 26 and Saturday, March 28

Hosted by Arizona State University

At University of Phoenix Stadium

Glendale, Arizona