2009 AL Central Thread

daa84

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 10:23 PM)
Yeah I see your point for sure. But at the same time, if they're very close to the division lead, or have the division lead by the time Mauer comes back, it's going to be hard to beat them. That's why it's horrible seeing the Mariners gift wrap this game and send it in the mail for the Twins.

Mauer will be back in a month roughly. Probally should concede before he even gets back... because everyone knows if a team is ''close'' or actually ''has'' the division lead one month into a season you are phucked.

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 10:35 PM)
Mauer will be back in a month roughly. Probally should concede before he even gets back... because everyone knows if a team is ''close'' or actually ''has'' the division lead one month into a season you are phucked.

I didn't know he'd be back in a month. I tuned into KFAN earlier today and they mentioned that he might be out until mid June. But I didn't hear the whole story so maybe they were saying it hypothetically.

I was watching ESPN Gameday when Gomez was up with 2 outs and nobody on. There was a 2.43% chance (according to ESPN Gameday) of MN scoring 2 runs or more. 40 to 1 chance of winning! No matter the ump'ing or pitching I like that comeback!!!

from a Twins fan...

Thought it was funny that everyone is complaining that beat writer LaVelle Neal at the Star Tribune is a "closet" White Sox fan, that the Twins won't win games like that next year (Span's infield chopper would have been a routine putout) in the new stadium AND that Carlos Gomez is now better than even Harrelson thinks he is because he was able to coax a walk in that situation.

Actually prefer the idea of the White Sox "stalking" the Twins like the Twins stalked us all throughout the second half of the season last year...with us taking another one game playoff after the Twins have led for most of the year.

By the way, it looks like Redmond will be DLed too. Maybe we can swap Lucy/Armstrong/Flowers for Delmon Young? Like that would ever happen!!! This first series against the Twins at home will be very interesting, these series are always about momentum and one team or the other usually sweeps or makes the other team look like a pretender temporarily.

And least the Tigers are demonstrating that their bullpen acquisition Brandon Lyon is far from a sure thing. Will be a rough week in DET if the Tigers get off to another slow start after the MSU debacle. There will be a ton of pressure on young Mr. Porcello to come through.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 10:05 PM)
Their fans will be shocked to see how much of a home field advantage they lose without the dome.

I still love that their org isn't changing their scouting or development theory and just plan to cut the grass real short like they do in Texas, completely ignoring that the theory likely won't work without Texas weather! (Unless they're just b.s.'ing The Hawk)

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 8, 2009 -> 12:40 PM)
they hit like .305 with RISP last year. Does anyone really think they're going to be able to do that again?

The last 5 years they've never hit below .271 with RISP, and they've been in the top 5 in the league in BA with RISP 3 of those 5 years. They may not hit over .300 again, but they're above .270 with RISP every year, and if I could do cumulative over the last 5 years they'd be very near the top.

So, to sum up our division so far:

1) Royals are improved offensively in terms of their everyday line-up

2) Lee and Carmona got rocked, but it's hard to really measure any ballclub that's playing on the fast track in Arlington, even in April

3) Tigers' bullpen will be shaky all year with Lyon/Zumaya/Rodney, but Miner and Edwin Jackson have pitched lights out

4) Twins are still the same old annoying/pesky Twins at home

the twins were ridiculous with RISP last year...adn with 2 outs and RISP i think they were even better

tigers, twins, and indians all look like they could have some big problems...especially that rotation in cleveland

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
im laughin pretty hard at that pavano outing....1 IP 7 runs so far...on the hook for potentially 9

1IP, 9ER.

Oops.

Here's a crazy thought though. Everyone talked Detroit being able to score over 1000 runs last season, could the Rangers do it this season I wonder?

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 02:19 PM)
1IP, 9ER.

Oops.

Here's a crazy thought though. Everyone talked Detroit being able to score over 1000 runs last season, could the Rangers do it this season I wonder?

The closest they get to a thousand runs is omar vizquel being apart of the last 1000 run team.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Apr 9, 2009 -> 12:19 PM)

They have to keep it up on the road away from Arlington. When you play in those conditions, the change is huge. It grates on their pitching staff but it sets up their hitters too. Give you an example...Hamilton's OPS at home last year 1.019, on the road, .779. Their team away OPS last year was .760, at home it was .866.

Of course, even with an .866 OPS at home, they didn't even score 500 runs at home last year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2...texmlb_detmlb_1

Cabrera had 6 RBI's. Of course, Nick Swisher had 5 the other night...

The Tigers have gotten excellent pitching from Jackson, Miner and Galarraga today. Porcello pitched very well until he reached the middle innings. I don't think they are going to lay down and die this season by any stretch of the imagination.

Swisher had a horrible defensive play in the outfield but the Royals' scorekeeper gave his player a gift double.

Indians were up on the Blue Jays but the Jays have rallied for four runs to go up 4-3 in the middle innings against Scott Lewis.

Edited by caulfield12