2009 AL Central Thread

daa84

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
Welcome to the site, HM! You're a damn good poster.

Anyways, I think the Twins will win this thing. Just a hunch.

i don't get this - they've got zero pitching. Tigers pitching blows too (with the obvious exceptions of Verlander and Jackson). Sox will finally extract their heads from their asses at the plate and win it, or it will become a battle of the worst staffs. IMHO, that is.

both minny and kitties lose. Sox 3 back.

Edited by The Ginger Kid

Maggs is getting benched. He hasn't hit for power and he's in the same boat Frank Thomas was in with the Blue Jays last year. A huge option becomes vested if he gets enought plate appearances. Personally, I think its good for the Sox. Maggs would eventually start mashing.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2009 -> 10:01 PM)
Maggs is getting benched. He hasn't hit for power and he's in the same boat Frank Thomas was in with the Blue Jays last year. A huge option becomes vested if he gets enought plate appearances. Personally, I think its good for the Sox. Maggs would eventually start mashing.

I think he's done. Stick a fork in him.

I wonder if he won't get traded to the Reds. There was talk a while back that Dusty was interested in him. I think he'd be a great acquisition for some team. I would not be surprised if the Tigers made an aggressive move to get Holliday or possibly Jeremy Hermida.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 12:16 PM)
Carlos Guillen is going to likely miss the rest of the year for Detroit. Per Foxsports

Thats a big blow to their team, they are going to need all the offense they can get. Esspecially with the way Willis and Galarraga have been struggling. According to The Detroit Free Press , the Tigers will be buyers. I'm guessing they will try to add another starting pitcher and a left fielder with offensive pop. My question is, will Detroit be the only buyer in the AL Central division? I'm thinking the Twins will likely stick with what they have and hope to compete with that. The Royals are closer than last season, but still need to address many possitions, they'll likely be sellers in hope to address those positions for next season. Cleveland is a big mess, injuries, lack of pitching depth and so on. They need to sell DeRosa now while his stock is super high.

The Sox are in a weird position, they have potentially 4 experering contracts that will shed about 40 million from their payroll next season, do they sell those players now? Or do they sit back and wait alittle longer to determine if they can be in this thing the rest of the way? If they can get to .500 by July 1st and be about 2-3 games back, i garuntee you KW will be a buyer. He won't be a significant buyer (meaning he won't trade away his farm depth) but he could easily add another bat in the lineup to add pop to the top of the order.

The Tigers are in line to lose about $50 million this year. I really can't see them adding anything.

I really wonder if he is a PED guy. His power numbers have gone completely into the toilet.

I really wonder if he is a PED guy. His power numbers have gone completely into the toilet.

Canceco already put him on blast as a PED user when they were teammates. I'll bet $$ he's one of the 103 left on that Mitchell report but won't shock anyone cause of Canceco already mentioning him.

At the end ofhe day, which is near. letting Maggs go for Dye was another of the KW moves that were masterful.

Either he is really lucky or just good.

Would Dye and Dotel for Dickerson be a good move?

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 07:56 AM)
Would Dye and Dotel for Dickerson be a good move?

Dickerson is a 27 year old, soon to be 28 year old, who made his MLB debut last year at the age of 26. The highest OPS he put up in the minors was .863, but that was as a 26 year old in 2/3 of a season in AAA. Before that he put up a .778 career minor league OPS. He has decent stolen base numbers, but isn't an ideal top of the order guy; he strikes out a ton and doesn't hit for a high average.

He put up a crazy line in his first 102 MLB at bats last year, 6 HR, 1.021 OPS. THis year he's back down to the .721 OPS he typically puts up.

Unless your scouts have serious reasons to think this guy is a late, late bloomer, Dye and Dotel for Chris Dickerson is a salary dump in exchange for a guy who on most teams would be a platoon/backup OF.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 07:23 PM)
I suggested something very much like this but without Dye, Dotel for Johnson plus maybe a prospect, and got blasted. You want to throw Dye in there too?

It's sarcasm...if you're unloading Dye and Dotel, you're obviously going into a rebuilding period. Thus, why would you want a veteran 4th outfielder?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 19, 2009 -> 01:24 PM)
It's sarcasm...if you're unloading Dye and Dotel, you're obviously going into a rebuilding period. Thus, why would you want a veteran 4th outfielder?

I was 50/50 on the sarcasm, someone suggested Dye going out earlier.

I still think, if we're serious about this year, Dotel for Reed Johnson plus the right type of prospect is something worth pursuing, as I think Johnson would be better than Anderson. Obviously I'd prefer we got a more serious impact OF, but that may not be possible, and would of course cost more.

I can't believe Houston beat Detroit. What a good deal that is.

The Royals are a mess again. My god. Meche gets raked once more. Olivo with big baserunning gaffe tonight and they flop at Pitt. Some sorry baseball in Kansas City again this year with KC 10 below .500.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 11:30 PM)

The Royals are a mess again. My god. Meche gets raked once more. Olivo with big baserunning gaffe tonight and they flop at Pitt. Some sorry baseball in Kansas City again this year with KC 10 below .500.

Time to ship Jose Guillen out of there. I've been there 6 times in the past 2.5 seasons now to see the Sox, and the fans there despise him, and rightfully so. He comes across as a total tool, he K's a bunch, and he doesn't get on base. He hits HR's and has a cannon.

Why am I not surprised to not get a Royals update from High Millege after the Cardinals swept them? I love how Trey Hillman came out and said they were going to pitch to Pujols and Albert absolutely crushed them.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jun 27, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)
Why am I not surprised to not get a Royals update from High Millege after the Cardinals swept them? I love how Trey Hillman came out and said they were going to pitch to Pujols and Albert absolutely crushed them.

I don't get e-mail notifications from this site and the search function doesn't work, so I don't check in much. And yes, Hillman was stupid for pitching to Pujols. Hillman's days are numbered...