Beckham article...

JPN366

We've had times in Sox history where we've had more prospects, many of which had higher ceilings, but I can't remember a time since I've been a Sox fan where we've had so many young guys that I actually have confidence in. I have total faith in Beckham, Viciedo, Fields, and Jordan Danks as starters; I'm confident Getz and Poreda will all make for decent at worst MLB players (Getz at least as a UT guy, Poreda at least as a lefty setup man); and I'm optimistic about Allen, Shelby, Flowers, and Lillibridge, although those would be my biggest candidates for possible busts.

I'll throw this out there right now: if some of the rumors and deadline speculation going around becomes true, then our logjams seem to coincide brilliantly with Toronto's largest areas of need. And that's all I'll say.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 06:00 PM)
We've had times in Sox history where we've had more prospects, many of which had higher ceilings, but I can't remember a time since I've been a Sox fan where we've had so many young guys that I actually have confidence in. I have total faith in Beckham, Viciedo, Fields, and Jordan Danks as starters; I'm confident Getz and Poreda will all make for decent at worst MLB players (Getz at least as a UT guy, Poreda at least as a lefty setup man); and I'm optimistic about Allen, Shelby, Flowers, and Lillibridge, although those would be my biggest candidates for possible busts.

I'll throw this out there right now: if some of the rumors and deadline speculation going around becomes true, then our logjams seem to coincide brilliantly with Toronto's largest areas of need. And that's all I'll say.

We sure do have some good young talent waiting in the wings for sure

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)
Impressive that they already have the kid pegged as the starting SS in Birmingham this year. I look forward to hearing what you have to say about him if this is the case.

I just got my Baseball America Prospect Guide, it had Beckham pegged for half the season at A, then the other half in AA. Since Greg Paiml would be the only other possible starting SS at B'ham this year, it's seeming more likely that Gordo my spend all 140 games with the Barons. I'll be more than happy to give all of y'all first hand reports on him if he's in B'ham.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
I just got my Baseball America Prospect Guide, it had Beckham pegged for half the season at A, then the other half in AA. Since Greg Paiml would be the only other possible starting SS at B'ham this year, it's seeming more likely that Gordo my spend all 140 games with the Barons. I'll be more than happy to give all of y'all first hand reports on him if he's in B'ham.

I would have agreed with the BA guide off of the top of my head. But if the kid is advanced of a hitter as it sounds like, send him to B'ham. Challenge him right off of the bat.

Where do you guys foresee our prospects starting? Heres how I see it

Beckham: BHam...could move to AAA by the end of the year, and even a sept callup isn't out of picture if he rakes like i anticipate

Viciedo: I dont think he'll make the big league team. Probably will start at AAA but also wouldn't be surprised if he's at AA. I know most on this site have higher hopes, but people need to remember how young this kid is

Flowers: Bham...could be in charlotte by end of the year...I love this kids stick...lets hope he can develop behind the plate

Poreda: Could be on the big league team, otherwise will start at Charlotte

Shelby: Starting CF in Bham

Danks: Starting CF in W-S

Allen: BHam probably....could move up to AAA by end of year

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 08:52 AM)
Hers's the link to Cora making Beckham fess up for not knowing who Harold Baine's was. http://csnchicago.com/pages/soxdrawer

"I'm learning very quickly, but I don't know if I'll open my mouth again for 10 minutes before I say something," Beckham said after he was presented with a photo of Baines posing next to his statue at U.S. Cellular Field.
Link

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2009 -> 05:33 PM)

This is why baseball is awesome, and why this group of whitesox are easy to love. I think Ozzie understand the importance/tradition of the game, the history of the organization, and is willing to f*** with anyone. These qualities rub off on the team, and for the most part... they all seem to get it.