ST Game 2: Sox @ Rockies (Tucson)

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 06:13 PM)
Anyone see Slayer as a possible leadoff guy when he hits the big leagues? He certainly has shown the tools from what I've seen and heard so far

he certainly could leadoff...he's not going to be "prototypical" leadoff hitter like ichiro...probably won't steal more than 20-25 bases....but absolutely ...i actually think its a very good spot for him if he shows patience like i believe he will ....I'm thinkin sort of like a right handed hitting Curtis Granderson....he could also hit 2nd as previously suggested

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and this ball game is ovah! looks like a nice job from the pitchers today....Floyd Broadway Egbert and Carassco all go 2....only 7 hits, 6 of them singles...(1 2b off of floyd)..Kruger and Miller helped themselves out as did lillibridge

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 04:03 PM)
Beckham steals 2nd.

I want Beckham instead of Getz. Too bad it won't happen.

Is it safe to assume that in 2010, 2B is pretty much cemented to Beckham and these guys playing the position this year won't even get a sniff next year?

Which leaves a pain in my stomach that we passed on one year of Hudson

Saw the box, an impressive line from the pitchers. Good to see Carrasco striking guys out. Broadway and Egbert look like 6th starter fringe types but perhaps one of them can pitch well in spot starts or out of the pen this year.

Viciedo ripped a single and Beckham the BB and SB.

Yep, it's spring training. Time for the ...

ohyea3.GIF

A few hilights. Sox with 3 stolen bases, Beckham , Lillibridge and Brandon Allen. Kroeger and Lillibridge 2 hits, Corky Miller 3 hits , Miller and Betemit with the only extra base hits (doubles).

Egbert, Carrasco, Broadway each pitched 2 innings without giving up any runs. Broadway paticularly impressive with 2 K and 4 GO's . Perhaps working on a splitter, sinker or cut fastball that dives ?

SO the very, very early surprises of ST.

Josh Kroeger keeps hitting and ends up stealing an outfield spot...only 36 games to go on that one.

Miller, who most assumed would get no more than 3 hits per month, gets 3 in one ST game. Flowers has been a non-factor.

Lillibridge, who seems to have the best combination of speed, defensive ability and versatility, impresses.

Nix, who everyone says could win a Gold Glove at 2B, comes charging out of the gate and actually looks like a hitter (so far) too.

It looks like it will be a very interesting competition among Richard, Marquez, Poreda, Nunez, Jimenez, Carrasco, Egbert and Broadway for the final spot in the rotation (if Colon/Contreras start on DL) and the last spot or two in the bullpen. I think they really like Nunez...nice to see him come into the game in the 9th and shut the Rockies out, seems like our young pitchers have come into that situation in the past springs many times and given up the lead.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 08:18 PM)
So what happens if we have more non-roster invitees play well enough to earn spots than we have spots?

I imagine that means we'll never hear from Carrasco and Wise again with young(er) guys taking their place.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 05:36 PM)
You probably know that answer just as well as anyone else. It sorts itself out eventually besides BA is expendable right ? :P

If someone beats out Anderson, I have no problem with him going to AAA (what always annoys me with his case is that it's never actual performance that relates to whether or not he plays, but all the other grindy things). But guyz like Owens and Getz are out of options IIRC, right?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 06:07 PM)
Getz has all 3 options remaining, Owens is out.

So if we make our team out of guys who are out of options or who have to pass through waivers, it becomes Owens, Betemit, Lillibridge, Kroeger, Nix, and then an open spot if you count starting 2b and CF? Does Lilli have an option left? Who am I missing?

Edit, was missing Wise. So unless Lillibridge has an option left, we're talking Owens, Wise, Betemit, Lillibridge, Kroeger, Nix, with a backup catcher somewhere presumably.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 08:11 PM)
So if we make our team out of guys who are out of options or who have to pass through waivers, it becomes Owens, Betemit, Lillibridge, Kroeger, Nix, and then an open spot if you count starting 2b and CF? Does Lilli have an option left? Who am I missing?

Edit, was missing Wise. So unless Lillibridge has an option left, we're talking Owens, Wise, Betemit, Lillibridge, Kroeger, Nix, with a backup catcher somewhere presumably.

Read it:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4797/2009...actsheetns8.jpg

I included option years.

I have no problem with Nix stealing the job from Getz. If Owens/Anderson both struggle I really think we would be better off with lillibridge at SS where he is supposedly a defensive wiz and Alexi in CF though. But it would probably at the begining atleast be other way around.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 09:05 PM)
Read it:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4797/2009...actsheetns8.jpg

I included option years.

Very nice.

You know you could probably get a s*** ton of traffic if you created one of those things for every MLB team. That's a very valuable resource for some of the wannabe GM's like us. Easily the most impressive and easy to read contract layout sheet I've seen. Great job.

Corky 3-for-3 on the day, including a double.

How in the flying f*** did Corky f***ing Miller go 3-3?? My god.

The same Corky Miller that only got 5 hits in 60 at-bats last season? And got like what 10-15 hits in 6 years? Damn I guess even a s***ty/weak looking squirrel can get a nut every once in a...... generation.