Norm Van Lier

This is hitting me harder than I thought. My grandfather (and uncle) shared some great stories about the bulls in the 60's and 70's. He always said you couldn't find anyone play harder than Stormin' Norman. He and Sloan were the best defensive backcourt in any era. I had the chance of actually meeting Norm back in 2003 downtown in Chicago. Really nice guy. I'll even admit, I cried alittle when I found out on CTL. I hope Derrick Rose has even half of Norm's defense and "intesitay" not to mention Norm's high basketball IQ, which was ridiculous. He'll be missed. :(

God rest your soul Stormin' Norman. I listened to the Bulls on WIND radio when it was Norm, Sloan. Bob Love, Chet Walker, Tom Boerwinkle and Coach Dick Motta. Could never make it past the Lakers in the playoffs but some great teams. Enjoyed Norm on Comcast, his personality shined through kind of like a Bill Cosby type style who loved his music and basketball. Norm you will definitely be missed.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 11:45 PM)
I know Red has backed down alot from the booth this year....but can you honestly imagine watching a Bulls telecast without these 2 names being said. Everytime I think pre or postgame....I just hear the name Norm Van Lier. Everytime I watch the game...I just hear the name Red Kerr

Unbelievable

And let this be a lesson to those who continually bash Hawk for his long-winded/homerism. You NEVER EVER know what you have until it's gone. Very sad day indeed.

Edited by Jordan4life

This only infuriates my hate for Jerry Reinsdorf. They man not only didn't get Norm an invitation to Red Kerr's ceremony (which devested him) but he didn't even get his number retired from all these years. Jerry has always been a jerk to the media, but he's been downright despicable to the Bulls organization as a whole for many years now. Hell, even waiting THAT long for commemorate Johnny Red Kerr for what he's done for 40+ years for us was just downright stupid.

A co-worker of mine, Satish, just told me a pretty cool story about Van Lier:

Back in the mid 90's, Satish had a job downtown. While at lunch one day, he saw a sign "donate money to United Way and get an autograph from Norm Van Lier". So Satish donated some money, and when it was his turn in line to get an autograph, this was the convo:

Van Lier: "Who am I signing this to?"

Satish: "To Satish"

VL: "Sa what? What does that mean in your country?"

Satish: "Smooth, Common"

VL: "Smooth! I'm gonna sign it to Smooth!"

The autograph said "To Smooth, from the Storm"

Satish only had a 1 minute convo with Van Lier, and he said he was just the nicest guy. I heard the same thing on the Score this morning. RIP Van Lier, you will be missed.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 10:45 AM)
I heard a great thing on ESPN 1000 this morning.

Norm Van Lier was Charles Barkley on TNT before Charles Barkley on TNT.

RIP Stormin' Norman...all of Chicago will miss you.

I thought of that same thing last night, Norm was really the original Charles Barkley in terms of basketball commentary, and as much as I love what Sir Charles does on TNT, it's not an original thing because Norm started it. As I mentioned in the Red thread and as somebody mentioned in this thread earlier, I just can't imagine Chicago basketball without Red and Stormin', it will never be the same.