ST Game: 3/01 Sox @ Dodgers - 2:05 pm CST

joejoesox

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cubano @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
I want to see somebody to hit a thunder at him. He has not strikeout yet by the way. He swang a bad slider for strike one, but he showed good eye with the same pitch with two strikes.

well he just did, he doesn't seem to be recognizing any pitches, whether it's due to nervousness or something else idk

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)
Corky Miller looks like a good back-up catcher candidate.

He's a very good defender, and a smart player. But look at his career hitting numbers - he just can't hit. I hope he's suddenly "figured it out", but, I doubt it, and this is a very small sample size. I'd rather have Stewart as of this point, but we'll see how the rest of spring goes.

Also, we're in game 5, and this is the number of games/at-bats we've seen the candidates for backup C so far:

Flowers: 3 games, 5 AB

Miller: 2 games, 4 AB*** (playing today)

Stewart: 1 game, 3 AB

Armstrong: 1 game, 1 AB

Lucy: 0, 0

I am starting to think that Lucy isn't seen as a real candidate for the job. I guess he'll be in Charlotte trying to prove he's healthy.

And we are seeing very little of Cole so far as well, which surprises me.

This MIGHT be because they want to see Flowers early before sending him to minor league camp, since I don't think they are really considering him for backup C this year.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
well he just did, he doesn't seem to be recognizing any pitches, whether it's due to nervousness or something else idk

I really don't see Dayan making the squad for opening day. I think Viciedo could be very good, but he's very raw, and as long as Fields is looking good, there isn't any good reason to carry Viciedo just yet.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 03:01 PM)
I really don't see Dayan making the squad for opening day. I think Viciedo could be very good, but he's very raw, and as long as Fields is looking good, there isn't any good reason to carry Viciedo just yet.

don't let anyone fool you, viciedo will not make the team out of spring training, it's not a real competition.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 03:03 PM)
It was not a good at bat for Viciedo. You have to give credit to Milton.

How about that Betemit guy?

he's not an everyday player, and doesn't look to be any good defensively at SS

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)

How good has Fields look?

One hit and caught stealing yesterday.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)
Fool me? I just said the same thing you did.

i know you agree with me, my point was there will probably be people in the media or in the Sox FO that will continue discussing "the battle at 3B" which could end up convincing people otherwise

QUOTE (Cubano @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
Send Betemit to Rookie ball please.

It's March 1, if this was June 1 and he was an everyday player doing this all the time I'd feel different. Betemit is a utility player.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
How good has Fields look?

One hit and caught stealing yesterday.

Fields hit 23 homeruns and 67 RBI in 373 atbats in 2007

Fields has far and away the advantage in this "competition".

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
It's March 1, if this was June 1 and he was an everyday player doing this all the time I'd feel different. Betemit is a utility player.

Utility players must caught the ball if they are in the Majors. These are not rockets guys. These connections are very catchable. I bet you that Betemit played in the Winter League. I have to check though.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
Utility players must caught the ball if they are in the Majors. These are not rockets guys. These connections are very catchable. I bet you that Betemit played in the Winter League. I have to check though.

I'm saying this is the first week of spring training games. The idea is to work on these things and get ready for the season.