.eco

HuskyCaucasian

Al Gore's Alliance for Climate Protection has joined a group applying for the ".eco" World Wide Web, I'm told.

Gore's alliance has formed a partnership with the environmentalists heading Dot Eco Ltd, which is applying to the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers for the rights to the generic top-level domain associated with the environment, the equivalent of ".org" or ".com" in Internet infrastructure.

“We fully support Dot Eco LLC in its efforts to secure the .eco top level domain through the ICANN application process and look forward to working with Dot Eco LLC to promote .eco. This is a truly exciting opportunity for the environmental movement and for the internet as a whole,” says Gore in a statement going out this evening.

The group says its profits will go largely to environmental causes. The producer of Gore's "Inconvenient Truth," Davis Guggenheim, sits on its board.

And Gore, who never actually quite claimed to have invented the Internet, though he did have some hand in getting it up and running, can claim to have partially invented a domain.

Others applying for the new domains are expected to include corporations, local governments -- New York City will seek ".nyc" -- and a new group of applicants using different alphabets.009.

Ok, for starters, ".eco" is not a "World Wide Web"... it's a top-level domain.

That aside, interesting idea

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 07:33 AM)
Al Gore has made himself very wealthy off of this whole movement.

Which I don't have a problem with. But I'd hate to see us go wasting money and effort on some stupid move like this, when that money could go towards... you know... actually helping the environment?

Its all about share of mind and branding. The part I do not like when we add a top level domain is the multiple address confusion it creates. Some brands will have to buy up that one, and it will have zero to do with the environment. But just like some copanies buy .com .org and .net, this may be another situation where they need it to block.

The positive would be if those corps used it to highlight their environmental policies and results.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 5, 2009 -> 07:34 AM)
Which I don't have a problem with. But I'd hate to see us go wasting money and effort on some stupid move like this, when that money could go towards... you know... actually helping the environment?

Don't be silly. We don't actually do anything to help the environment, we just talk about or study about helping the environment -- and that costs a LOT of money!

I still find it funny that until Gore was ousted by the media for using 20X more energy to power his Tenn mansion than the rest of the ENTIRE STATE he didn't bother installing solar to assist powering his glorious estate. He's a con artist, and the worst kind IMO, he masquerades as a person who cares.

Although old, it's still important to not forget the kind of people these politicians are -- "The former vice president's mansion in the posh Belle Meade area of Nashville consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, says the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, citing data from the Nashville Electric Service."

Enough said. Gore can kiss my nature loving ass.

Edited by Y2HH