Who's Been to Camelback: Tips and Advice?

champs2005

Greetings Sox Fans,

Im taking the family to spring training. Got tix for 3/20 Giants and 3/21 Cubs. Has anyone been yet and can you offer any tips or advice? We would love to watch some players up close on the practice fields. How early can you get in? Which fields are best to scope out? Where is best place to park? Does anyone know which hotel the Sox stay in? Can you recommend any good restaurants? Any other tips are appreciated!

Thanks much.

if you are there for a couple of days take one day and go early to watch the players on the practice fields. Security is a little tight so don't think that you can walk onto a field and chit chat. the day i went very little was going on but i did shake hands with Ned Coletti th dodgers Gm. Every is new. I enjoy their expansive use of chain link. There are a lot of security guard posted about every 300 yard on both the sox and dodger sides. Security guard seemed informed about the confines but are not too knowledgeable aobut the sox. I asked one of the security personel if he met anyone. HE said he stopped one black guy going onto a field but both seem to be surprised the guard didn't recognize Kenny williams and kennycouldn't believe that someone might not recognize him on the grounds. We are to be here a week so touring other stadiums seems to be a logical and fun occupation of your time. Yesterday we toured the KC and rangers park the sox played kc plent of whitesox fans there. today we are going to watch SanDiego play the sox. There are so many stadiums in the Phoenix area that one should see as many parks as possible. One KC fan said that on one practice field George Brett was there available to sign autographs and on the rangers side Nolan Ryan signed a few autographs

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 12:41 PM)
If I purchase a lawn ticket, do I have access to the rest of the park?

Can I expect a frenzy for lawn space for Sox-Cubs?

yes, the ushers do watch you closer than at the cell but you can walk down just don't sit in someone's seat because they will ask you for your ticket. As for the lawn seats they are getting more popular. Weather is great and it is fun just laying outside on lawn. Will there be a frenzy for the lawn seats at a sox-cubs game the answer would be maybe. The cubs are drawing wherever they go. When the sox aren't playing the cubs at camelback I would say you would have a great time. However; with a cub fan invasion room will become scarce. Lawn seat room will no longer be ample instead will be contaminated with cubs fans germs which I myself cannot tolerate. Earth worms also die when exposed to their bacteria.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 11:35 PM)
yes, the ushers do watch you closer than at the cell but you can walk down just don't sit in someone's seat because they will ask you for your ticket. As for the lawn seats they are getting more popular. Weather is great and it is fun just laying outside on lawn. Will there be a frenzy for the lawn seats at a sox-cubs game the answer would be maybe. The cubs are drawing wherever they go. When the sox aren't playing the cubs at camelback I would say you would have a great time. However; with a cub fan invasion room will become scarce. Lawn seat room will no longer be ample instead will be contaminated with cubs fans germs which I myself cannot tolerate. Earth worms also die when exposed to their bacteria.

For a 1:20 start time, would the sun be at my back if I'm on the lawn? Thx for the info by the way.

Hey guys, just got back from a whole week in Arizona and I gotta say that Camelback is gorgeous. It really is amazing and hope more of you get out there. I would def get to the park around 10ish and watch the player practices and drills on each field. 5 dollar parking but after the game is really annoying to get out of the lot. Prepare for sun galore and as far as the sun to your back question, if you sit in the RF lawn the sun will be over you and moving to your back throughout the game. LF you will have sun facing you all game. Also, if you get food try the Jalapeno Sausage haha

:gosoxretro:

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 12:59 AM)
Heading out the 20th to the 25th! I let StubHub bend me over for Sox-Cubs tix.

Why are we paying so much at Camelback when we can drive over to the other parks and watch the Sox for a fraction of the price?? Serioulsy, $30-$45 for a decent seat? It's MF'in spring training.

Just buy a lawn ticket and move to any open seat thats what I did for some games.

I strongly suggest (when leaving on busy days) to go west on Camelback to Dysart Rd and either go up to Glendale Ave or down to Indian School then back east to hit the freeway to avoid the bottleneck on Camelback when leaving. Might seem a tad out of the way by a few miles...but I HATE sitting in traffic. Gorgeous place. GREAT FOOD! Really good Chicago Dogs as well as brats. Also...if you get a lawn seat remember the Sox bullpen is in right field.

if you go this week...make sure you take sunscreen. It's supposed to be sunny and close to 90. 82 tomorrow. I'll be out there!

Edited by Wanne

just got back today and I already miss Arizona. Great facilities all around. My one piece of advice: Just buy a lawn seat unless you know the game is going to be crowded. I paid like six bucks I think for my lawn ticket and sat 12 rows up behind home plate with no hassles. Save your money for beer.

Traffic did suck leaving though, and rush hour doesn't help at all.

Today will be our 15th game there and it's amazing. The staff and the park is unreal. I've been to every st field in Fla and 6 here and this is by far the best and not just cause its the sox, but because it completely caters to the fans. The facility opens at 9am. You can get players autos on the way in if you wait by their lot. they have been awesome at signing this year. After that you can sit at any 1 of the 9 practice fields and watch drills for both the sox and the dodgers. They are very lax. We've been able to sit right behind the plate on the concrete steps and no one has bothered us when we probably don't belong there. As for getting in the park, the gates open at 11:30 and any ticket gets you complete access except to the upper level which is reserved for team brass and special invites. The 1st base grass has the sun behind you and the 3rd is in your face. The sox are on the first base side and the players are awesome at signing before the game and after in the walkway back to the clubhouse. Even Thome has been signing which has been a rarity in the past 3 years. Sitting in seats you don't belong in is a no-no. But there really isn't a bad seat in the house. We've got tickets for all the games behind the Sox dugout and the plate but end up sitting in the law with the kids because its a lot more fun out there. The Cubs played there earlier this week playing the dodgers and their fans did come out in full force but the ones we encountered were mostly nice. A few autograph jerk offs, but when I made a comment to Z about taking his meds they all laughed :-). Overall I am completely pleased with the park. It's more than I expected. We'll be here till the 26th going every day but next monday (off day) and probably sitting in the 1st base lawn right at the wall (except for Saturday we'll be in our seats that day), so if you see us (2 chicks and 2 kids) stop by and say hi. Hope those of you going have an awesome time. IMO it would be hard not to!!

Steff

QUOTE (Steff @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 09:02 AM)
Today will be our 15th game there and it's amazing. The staff and the park is unreal. I've been to every st field in Fla and 6 here and this is by far the best and not just cause its the sox, but because it completely caters to the fans. The facility opens at 9am. You can get players autos on the way in if you wait by their lot. they have been awesome at signing this year. After that you can sit at any 1 of the 9 practice fields and watch drills for both the sox and the dodgers. They are very lax. We've been able to sit right behind the plate on the concrete steps and no one has bothered us when we probably don't belong there. As for getting in the park, the gates open at 11:30 and any ticket gets you complete access except to the upper level which is reserved for team brass and special invites. The 1st base grass has the sun behind you and the 3rd is in your face. The sox are on the first base side and the players are awesome at signing before the game and after in the walkway back to the clubhouse. Even Thome has been signing which has been a rarity in the past 3 years. Sitting in seats you don't belong in is a no-no. But there really isn't a bad seat in the house. We've got tickets for all the games behind the Sox dugout and the plate but end up sitting in the law with the kids because its a lot more fun out there. The Cubs played there earlier this week playing the dodgers and their fans did come out in full force but the ones we encountered were mostly nice. A few autograph jerk offs, but when I made a comment to Z about taking his meds they all laughed :-). Overall I am completely pleased with the park. It's more than I expected. We'll be here till the 26th going every day but next monday (off day) and probably sitting in the 1st base lawn right at the wall (except for Saturday we'll be in our seats that day), so if you see us (2 chicks and 2 kids) stop by and say hi. Hope those of you going have an awesome time. IMO it would be hard not to!!

Steff

I'm heading over there tomorrow morning for four days - thanks for the tips!

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 01:24 PM)
Have the Dodgers vs. White Sox games so far been sellouts?

Thinking of getting a ticket now possibly for the game on the 03/28, to save the trouble of missing out.

The only sellout so far that I've heard about since I've been here is this Saturday's Cubs/Sox game.