ST 3/7: White Sox vs. Rangers

flavum

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 03:24 PM)
uh

Dayan can play 3rd.

Was Guillen watching?

After 1 or 2 games, he started saying his defense is subpar and this and that. He was just preparing the kid for the news about being sent to the minors. This happens not only to Viciedo. It happens every year to many players. When you have minor league options or you are the first one to arrive, usually you are send down. It is time to get something in return for all the time and money the Sox have spent in Fields.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 05:32 PM)
Was Guillen watching?

After 1 or 2 games, he started saying his defense is subpar and this and that. He was just preparing the kid for the news about being sent to the minors. This happens not only to Viciedo. It happens every year to many players. When you have minor league options or you are the first one to arrive, usually you are send down. It is time to get something in return for all the time and money the Sox have spent in Fields.

sox have spent significantly more money on viciedo

QUOTE (Cubano @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 03:32 PM)
Was Guillen watching?

Viciedo's problem right now is that Fields is outplaying him offensively, Dayan needs to pick it up a bit if he wants to stand a chance

I like what I've seen from Dayan, he can definitely play that position adequately

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
what a boring game...offensively getz was the only one who really looked good...the 2b battle will be intriguing

apparently lillibridge is sick with flu-like symptoms, unfortunate

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 03:02 PM)
Really, right now, if Kroeger can handle CF (he really needs some games there) then he's got to be the frontrunner on all accounts right now. A Kroeger/Anderson platoon/defensive replacement setup would be something we could probably handle, especially if the last bench spot went to Lillibridge, who also hasn't had a lot of time yet but hasn't looked bad.

In other words, right now, my bench/2b/CF is:

2b: Nix

CF: Kroeger

Bench: Betemit, Anderson, Lillibridge, backup Catcher.

Kroeger has not played many games in CF in the minors. I'm sure there's a reason for that.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 03:32 PM)
It is time to get something in return for all the time and money the Sox have spent in Fields.

Viciedo probably got more than the Sox ever spent on Fields in his singning bonus alone. He won't be sent down for $$$ reasons. Both have been playing well this ST.

pretty good game, even though we lost, but we don't really know anymore than what we knew before the game

konerko is gonna take forever to heat up, macdougal is brutally bad

bright spot (to me) is seeing Dayan play a great 3B, making some above-average plays

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)
Kroeger has not played many games in CF in the minors. I'm sure there's a reason for that.

I'm thinking guys like Michael Bourn, Chris Roberson and Felix Pie might be a larger factor in Josh Kroeger's playing time in centerfield than his own defensive prowess. Those guys are going to take precedence over a minor league free agent signee or waiver claim like Josh Kroeger.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 04:34 PM)
Viciedo's problem right now is that Fields is outplaying him offensively, Dayan needs to pick it up a bit if he wants to stand a chance

I like what I've seen from Dayan, he can definitely play that position adequately

It is true. I just wish Guillen shuts up and let Viciedo play. If at the end of the camp his defense is bad, then you tell him. He should not be putting more pressure on this kid by saying his defense is so so. By the way, Guillen has not said anything good about his defense during the last two games but he was quick to point Viciedo needed to impreve defensively.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
I'm thinking guys like Michael Bourn, Chris Roberson and Felix Pie might be a larger factor in Josh Kroeger's playing time in centerfield than his own defensive prowess. Those guys are going to take precedence over a minor league free agent signee or waiver claim like Josh Kroeger.

Please, no more trying to wedge guys into centerfield because they can hit or are decent enough athletes. If the guy has played center before and well, then he's a centerfielder. If he hasn't, he shouldn't be out there. I am so tired of the Mack, Swisher route that this team has taken the past few years, all the while with Kenny expressing shock that centerfielders are hard to acquire. I think he's a fine GM, but you know what? Make centerfield a priority, not an afterthought, and you'd find a guy who can play out there.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
I did not watch the game. How did he look like with the bat? Did he swing at bad pitches?

Thanks

most of his at-bats were not shown, most of the broadcast was the rangers broadcasters doing player and front-office interviews during a couple of Dayan's ABs, he did not have any hits today though, no K's either

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Mar 7, 2009 -> 04:09 PM)
Please, no more trying to wedge guys into centerfield because they can hit or are decent enough athletes. If the guy has played center before and well, then he's a centerfielder. If he hasn't, he shouldn't be out there. I am so tired of the Mack, Swisher route that this team has taken the past few years, all the while with Kenny expressing shock that centerfielders are hard to acquire. I think he's a fine GM, but you know what? Make centerfield a priority, not an afterthought, and you'd find a guy who can play out there.

Its been said before, but moving Alexei to CF would solve a lot of problems.