Sox @ Royals, 3/12/09

Balta1701

Butler Doubles over Wise's head. 6-3 Royals.

Randy Williams in.

Gordon grounds to Kroeger, 1 out, Butler moves to 3rd with 1 out.

Buck grounds sharply to Fields, Fields forces Butler back to 3rd and throws to 1st to get Buck.

Gload Flies to Wise in shallow CF, inning over.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 04:24 PM)
I don't see any way Wise doesn't leadoff and get 75%+ of the PA in CF. He's fast and bunty that just screams top of lineup hitter, never mind the fact that he's bad.

Ozzie and Kenny came out today and said that speed doesnt matter to them for a leadoff hitter.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 04:42 PM)
Sounds like a final motivational ploy to get Owens going.

isnt that what the "Owens not off to a good start" article may have been days before? I think they actually see what everyone else can see, that he sucks. He has the most AB's because they are giving him every chance which he isnt winning. They will have zero doubt when they dont take him up with the team after all the chances he's had.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
Ozzie and Kenny came out today and said that speed doesnt matter to them for a leadoff hitter.

I made that post before I read that article (which I posted in the Owens thread). I still think if Wise continues to hit .350+ in the spring he's going to be the leadoff man on Opening Day.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
I made that post before I read that article (which I posted in the Owens thread). I still think if Wise continues to hit .350+ in the spring he's going to be the leadoff man on Opening Day.

I'm really not looking forward to having potentially 2 guys taking 1 pitch each before Q comes up every game.

Anderson, Restovich, Lucy in.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 03:43 PM)

what other options are there? (assuming Owens has sucked his way out of the spot).

Beckham at 2b leading off? (I dont think they are going to bring Beckham until later so they don't start his arb clock)

Getz at 2b leading off?

One of those with Wise/BA platooning in CF batting 9?

I'm thinking that Wise leading off in CF with Getz batting 9th seems most likely. I just dont think they want Getz leading off, nor Beckham for multiple reasons, one of which listed above.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 04:48 PM)
what other options are there? (assuming Owens has sucked his way out of the spot).

Beckham at 2b leading off? (I dont think they are going to bring Beckham until later so they don't start his arb clock)

Getz at 2b leading off?

One of those with Wise/BA platooning in CF batting 9?

I'm thinking that Wise leading off in CF with Getz batting 9th. I just dont think they want Getz leading off, nor Beckham for multiple reasons, one of which listed above.

As for the bolded: The Sox don't play that game. If he's ready to go by Opening Day he's gong to make the team, they're not going to send him down for 2 weeks just to postpone his arb clock, that's a loser's mentality and not something KW believes in.

The part in red, yes.

The last part is probably what they'd go with if the season started today which is a damn shame since DeWayne Wise is one of the last guys I'd want at the top of my lineup and not at all what Kenny Williams described today.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
Has Wise had any patience in any of his stops before playing with us last year?

His highest career OBP (outside of 2007 where he had 5 ab's) in the big leagues is .293, with the White Sox last year. His career minor league OBP is .309 (with a .259 BA).

Basically, if we want a .340 OBP out of him, he needs to be hitting in the .290+ range.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 04:56 PM)
Has Wise had any patience in any of his stops before playing with us last year?

No. He's always had an awful BB/K ratio and a below average Pit/Pa. This is why I hate Spring Training competitions. Wise getting hot for a few weeks in March doesn't make him a better baseball player, he has a pretty long track record of sucking. He's not just going to change his ways at age 31.

Wise saw almost 1000 pitches between '02 and '04 and posted a well below average pit/pa.

Beckham has really had a nice game today. Excellent in the field, a single up the middle, a walk and a run scored.

He continues to be the story of spring training...Wise (up until that last inning) and Fields will also get some attention.

Wise, Lucy and Anderson not picking the Sox up last inning. Man, can't Anderson just come through with ONE big hit this spring besides a homer against an A-ball equivalent Australian pitcher???

Blue Jays' castoff Jimenez into the game. I thought he or Nunez had an outside shot at the final place in the pen...we haven't seen or heard much at all about DJ Carasco this spring, have we? A lot of attention has been on Marquez and Richard and even our Rutgers hurler, but I haven't listened to or seen a game that DJ got into...wonder if he pitched in one of those 3 B games?

Former Pirates' first round draft pick JR House into the game at catcher.

I think the bloom is coming off the Josh Kroeger rose a little bit today.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 04:00 PM)
I've realized that I'm a bigger fan of DWise than a lot of people on here.

I think he's ok for what he is. I'd have no problem at all with him batting 9th. I'm just not sure about him leading off. Much better than BA or Owens for me tho.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 05:00 PM)
I've realized that I'm a bigger fan of DWise than a lot of people on here.

There's nothing there to like. He's a good baserunner and pretty fast but that's all he's got going for him. I'd rather not have a below average defender with a .309 career minor league OBP anywhere in my lineup regardless of his baserunning prowess. He's never shown any sort of consistency against RHP in his career, there's no reason for me to believe he's going to start hitting them now.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 05:02 PM)
I think the bloom is coming off the Josh Kroeger rose a little bit today.

You know what you get with this guy, he's shown in over multiple seasons in the minors, he can hit, cant field. He's always hit.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
There's nothing there to like. He's a good baserunner and pretty fast but that's all he's got going for him. I'd rather not have a below average defender with a .309 career minor league OBP anywhere in my lineup regardless of his baserunning prowess. He's never shown any sort of consistency against RHP in his career, there's no reason for me to believe he's going to start hitting them now.

The whole reputation of Wise is based on 2-3 clutch homers in the second half of the seaon and in the playoffs.

Overall, he was really "MEHHHHHH" statistically in August and September, it's just that Swisher was SO bad that Ozzie didn't feel he had any other choices against RH pitchers.

KW's comments the last couple of days show that his "winging" it plan (which he and we and EVERYONE knew going in) isn't working at all...

Edited by caulfield12

Lubanski was another high draft choice that probably won't make it with the Royals.

Dan Cortes will probably start the season in NW ARK (AA) or Omaha, might be used by the Royals this season, according to Dean Taylor (former Brewers' GM and another Braves' protege of Schuerholz).

Edited by caulfield12