Sox vs Texas 3:05pm

knightni

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

BA eneds to hit like he did today for the next 2 weeks if he wants to have any chance of being the CF this season.

I agree with Dick that I think the best solution for a leadoff man could still be outside of this organization.

We can only hope that BA continues to hit for the final two weeks. Owens is all but done, and I like Wise, but he's best suited for the bench. If BA can't get it going then either start Wise, or platoon until one gets hot during the season and basically takes over the job permentally. Lilly isn't quite ready yet, but I like his ears for comic view so he might have to make this team. :D

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 14, 2009 -> 05:49 PM)
Lillibridge hasn't shown the last 18 months that he could be anything close to a good leadoff man. I'm still hoping KW makes some sort of trade.

He'd be a disaster. Whether you look at his minor league production or his spring showing/numbers, he's not a major league hitter at this point in time.

I still think if the Sox could get a young guy like Gregor Blanco (who's in a competition for a CF job himself) for the right price, who is young and shown he can get on base at the major league level, they should definitely do that.

You gotta just play Wise against righties, get BA in late for defensive replacement. Normally I'd hate to go to the 4th OF so regularly, but you have that nice option of Alexei as an emergency OF in case of injury/extra innings freak scenarios.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Mar 14, 2009 -> 05:09 PM)
Wise had a very nice year pinchhitting last yr, albeit not being here the whole yr

Sure Dewayne and Brian were both good in their limited pinch hit opportunities last season but neither has the pure power or ability to work the count like Wilson Betemit, especially against right handed pitching.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 14, 2009 -> 06:21 PM)
Given Williams interest in the past regarding Edmonds, it has to be fairly safe to assume he has checked back in with Jim this off-season. If something was going to happen, it probably would have been taken care of a few weeks ago.

I really honestly believe that KW and Ozzie both wanted to give Owens every opportunity to take this thing, and his piss poor performance is really making them JUST NOW realize they cant go to war with this guy.

So it's possible they were holding off on Edmonds til that was clear. But at the same time they seem pretty happy with Wise given what they're paying. They are apparently saving up to make a wallop in free agency next year.

I hope.

If they were willing to bring in Erstad, coming off the crap year he was having way back with LAA, then they should be willing to make an offer to Edmonds, who while older had more success more recently than Erstad had at that point.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 14, 2009 -> 06:21 PM)
Given Williams interest in the past regarding Edmonds, it has to be fairly safe to assume he has checked back in with Jim this off-season. If something was going to happen, it probably would have been taken care of a few weeks ago.

Quiet you. We still have like 3 weeks of Spring Training left, I'm not ready to accept Dewayne Wise as the starting/lefty platoon CF (75% of the league is right handed, that's a lot of AB and CF innings). I will hold out hope that Kenny expected Owens to come into camp and blow everyone away, winning the starting CF and leadoff job. No need to have Edmonds around if Jerry Owens is going to be your starting CF.