3/16 Game Thread - Sox vs. Royals

daa84

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
IP, 2 ER, 1H, 1BB for Colon.

He was throwing pretty well though, seemed to have good control over the fastball and wasn't afraid to attack the hitters.

Restovich may have cost him a run with some questionable routes in RF.

Bart was actually elevating the fastball above the strike zone pretty consistently. That does tend to happen when you haven't thrown from a mound in a while, though. Restovich misplayed that triple, and KC didn't do much else against Bart otherwise.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
How was Colon's velocity? How about the tilt on his off-speed stuff?

threw almost all fastballs...no gun, but he doesn't look like hes throwing too hard....90-92 i'd guess...decent movement

threw one nice back door breaking ball to either crisp or dejesus, cant remember

his command isn't good he's missing high...looks like he has no feel for hte plate out there, but id expect a bit of that from his first outing

QUOTE (almagest @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
Bart was actually elevating the fastball above the strike zone pretty consistently. That does tend to happen when you haven't thrown from a mound in a while, though. Restovich misplayed that triple, and KC didn't do much else against Bart otherwise.

I missed the first 2 AB's, but his fastball looked solid against the other guys.

Not here though, ehh...

so colon looked pretty bad, he doesn't have the stuff to not locate....i imagine its mainly due to the fact that its his first time on the mound really, and that he'll figure it out, but he can't be the hard thrower he was early in his career....he's gonna have to pitch

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 09:29 PM)
so colon looked pretty bad, he doesn't have the stuff to not locate....i imagine its mainly due to the fact that its his first time on the mound really, and that he'll figure it out, but he can't be the hard thrower he was early in his career....he's gonna have to pitch

I wasn't expecting much. Let's face it...there's a reason he got a much cheaper contract than guys like F. Garcia.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
thats really encouraging to see from josh...back up the middle on the 2 strike fastball on the outside corner
He's got to have much better bat speed, because in '07 and '08 that would've been a K or foul to the right, not solid contact up the middle.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 03:42 PM)
I really resented Getz before seeing him, because of all this grinder hype he was getting. That’s changed. He actually looks like a good hitter.

I've never taken the grinder title to be a bad thing. I think it was made into a bad thing here on SoxTalk. I always took to mean a player that, at ANY given level of talent or ability, went the extra effort to get more out of that talent. And that is never a bad thing. But here on ST, it turned into some ethereal quality that was some subsititute for actual playing ability.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 03:44 PM)
I've never taken the grinder title to be a bad thing. I think it was made into a bad thing here on SoxTalk. I always took to mean a player that, at ANY given level of talent or ability, went the extra effort to get more out of that talent. And that is never a bad thing. But here on ST, it turned into some ethereal quality that was some subsititute for actual playing ability.

A former nebraska punter screwed the entire grinder meaning up.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
A former nebraska punter screwed the entire grinder meaning up.

Yeah, I think that was the biggest part of it. KW and others tried to shield Erstad with that title. And he was a grinder, but, he also happened to no longer be a good baseball player in 2007. All the grinding in the world wasn't going to help him.