Getz is the leader for 2B

southsider2k5

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,4413145.story

Chris Getz on regular track for Chicago White Sox

Starting second base job appears his to lose

By Mark Gonzales | Tribune reporter

March 19, 2009

PHOENIX — Jayson Nix's injury probably secured Chris Getz's chances of winning the White Sox's starting second base job as well as opening a gap for Brent Lillibridge to win a roster spot.

With Nix out indefinitely because of a right quadriceps strain, Getz's prospects also improved Wednesday. He raised his batting average to .364 when he extended his hitting streak to eight games after a two-hit performance in the Sox's 4-1 loss to the Los Angeles Angels.

"I can't say that yet," manager Ozzie Guillen replied as to whether Getz secured the job. "We want that, but I'm not going to say yes when we have [21/2] weeks of spring training left."

Lillibridge's value has increased with Nix unlikely to be ready April 6.

Related links

White Sox send down Dayan Viciedo

Spring training recap: Angels 4, Sox 1

White Sox at spring training White Sox at spring training Photos

Hardball: White Sox updates from Glendale Hardball: White Sox updates from Glendale

Before Nix reaggravated his right quadriceps strain Tuesday while legging out a double, he played shortstop Sunday and was going to receive more appearances there as the Sox look for ways to enhance his value on top of his .462 batting average.

Lillibridge's best position is shortstop, and the Sox value that position highly. Last year, they kept Juan Uribe over Pablo Ozuna at midseason because Uribe was the better defender at short and third.

"A lot can still happen," said Lillibridge, who played center flawlessly Wednesday with three putouts in the first four innings. "As long as I can break camp with the team, that's my goal. I feel I've shown enough at the plate. It's not consistent, but it's spring training, thank God."

Wilson Betemit, who was acquired from the New York Yankees in November, has struggled at shortstop and could be employed solely as a backup at third and first unless he improves his defense.

The Sox apparently plan to keep 2008 first-round draft pick Gordon Beckham at shortstop, for now. During Wednesday morning's workout, Betemit worked at third, Beckham at short and non-roster invitee Eider Torres at second on one practice field.

The other infield group included Josh Fields at third, Alexei Ramirez at short and Chris Getz at second.

"Even before this whole thing started, I wasn't paying attention to what anyone else was doing," Getz said. "You don't wish [injuries] on anyone. Hopefully [Nix] can get back and be healthy because he has a value to the team when he's able to play."

Beckham, who is looking more likely to start the season in the minors, started Wednesday at short.

Despite an impressive showing in his first spring training, Beckham appears realistic.

"If [Nix] is hurt, that might open the door a little bit for me," Beckham said. "But I'm the underdog in this situation, and I should be."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 01:19 PM)
Also wanted to throw in here that someone in today's game thread hear Ozzie mention that Getz is now being considered for the leadoff spot.

That would be moi and its right here. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,0,323351.story Under leadoff woes in the paragraph starting with the words Jerry Owens..

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

tribune says ozzie is considering fields or anderson for leadoff as well...fields is an interesting candidate if he can get on base, im ok with it....i know he Ks a ton though...i still feel like getz is the best option

Scott Gregor of the Chicago Daily Herald writes that the White Sox need to make a deal for a center fielder who can bat leadoff. He thinks GM Kenny Williams is "probably close" to making a deal. Gregor doesn't like Jim Edmonds or Juan Pierre for the job, but he doesn't rule out Kenny Lofton.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 09:56 PM)
Scott Gregor of the Chicago Daily Herald writes that the White Sox need to make a deal for a center fielder who can bat leadoff. He thinks GM Kenny Williams is "probably close" to making a deal. Gregor doesn't like Jim Edmonds or Juan Pierre for the job, but he doesn't rule out Kenny Lofton.

Here's the full blog. http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/1661

I think it's just Gregor blowing smoke. The Kenny Lofton comment...he was joking in the first line, since Lofton and Phillips both used to play for the Sox.

Yeah, Kenny might be trying to do something...but isn't he always? But Podsednik? Edmonds? No way. And Pierre? Only if the Dodgers paid like, 80% of his contract.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)

I think it's just Gregor blowing smoke. The Kenny Lofton comment...he was joking in the first line, since Lofton and Phillips both used to play for the Sox.

Yeah, Kenny might be trying to do something...but isn't he always? But Podsednik? Edmonds? No way. And Pierre? Only if the Dodgers paid like, 80% of his contract.

Ahh I didn't see all that. I just seen this blub on MLBTraderumors site...

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)

Try 90% and I wouldn't give them anything of value in return. He's due $28.5M over the next 3 years. I'd have a tough time paying him more than $1M a year in this market. I still don't understand why he's regarded as a regular in the big leagues, he'd be a nice pinch runner/bunter/slap hitter but unless you're a hardcore masochist I don't know why you'd want to watch him everyday.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 10:16 PM)
Try 90% and I wouldn't give them anything of value in return. He's due $28.5M over the next 3 years. I'd have a tough time paying him more than $1M a year in this market. I still don't understand why he's regarded as a regular in the big leagues, he'd be a nice pinch runner/bunter/slap hitter but unless you're a hardcore masochist I don't know why you'd want to watch him everyday.

People thought it was bad with Orlando Cabrera at the top of the order.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 09:22 PM)
BA or Fields leading off = LOL

The fact that this is even a consideration by Guillen says a hell of a lot.

Ozzie thought it was April 1st.

This is the dumbest idea I in the history of the spoken word. Fields or BA leading off? The wiff kings?

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 10:30 PM)
Ozzie thought it was April 1st.

This is the dumbest idea I in the history of the spoken word. Fields or BA leading off? The wiff kings?

Wise and Anderson had the same K rate last season yet it looks like Dewayne Wise is going to be the leadoff hitter against righties.