3/20 Sox vs Giants

RockRaines

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 06:13 PM)
I love the fact that there is never any in-between in regards to Brian Anderson. People either love him or hate him. You never see the "eh, he's OK"

There's actually not even really that much love for him, just people that think he can be a decent player and are realistic about how much he's underachieving or say he's better than Owens/Wise. That "love" only exists in the minds of the people that are irrational about how much they hate him and won't entertain any other argument besides "omg he's so f***ing horrible" or mock the idea that he's a plus defender.

Edited by lostfan

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 05:13 PM)
I love the fact that there is never any in-between in regards to Brian Anderson. People either love him or hate him. You never see the "eh, he's OK"

I think he's the tallest midget, would you constitute that as love?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 04:29 PM)
There's actually not even really that much love for him, just people that think he can be a decent player and are realistic about how much he's underachieving or say he's better than Owens/Wise. That "love" only exists in the minds of the people that are irrational about how much they hate him and won't entertain any other argument besides "omg he's so f***ing horrible" or mock the idea that he's a plus defender.

BA could murder my family and I would still give him his props as far as being a very gifted defender. I don't see how anybody can dispute that.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 06:34 PM)
BA could murder my family and I would still give him his props as far as being a very gifted defender. I don't see how anybody can dispute that.

I don't either. The fact that he's been pretty miserable with a bat in the major leagues (which nobody disputes) shouldn't have anything to do with his defensive ability.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 05:34 PM)

That's what I don't get. Some people actually question his defensive ability and act like we of Soxtalk are the only one's who believe him to be an elite defender.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 05:29 PM)

Everyone knows he a plus defender, but unfortunately some of us don't get it, that you need to hit to stay in the majors. You do not see teams carrying a roster full of below average hitters that can field. I wouldn't call BA a Underachiever, maybe reality shows us that he is not that good.

Edited by Soxpranos

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 05:53 PM)
After another awful performance by Brent Lillibridge (0-4 w/ 3 K), his BB/K ratio now stands at 1/18 on the Spring. He has no business making the opening day roster.

Maybe baseball isn't his thing.

After another awful performance by Brent Lillibridge (0-4 w/ 3 K), his BB/K ratio now stands at 1/18 on the Spring. He has no business making the opening day roster.

isn't Lillibridge a plus defender?

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 06:55 PM)
Everyone knows he a plus defender,

Not true, hence why I said it.

but unfortunately some of us don't get it, that you need to hit to stay in the majors.

Also not true. This isn't what's argued, everyone knows this, and it's just a strawman. Furthermore, people that say he's the tallest midget or otherwise participate in the discussion (like I'm doing right now) but aren't really arguing about how good he is tend to get categorized as fanboys because they're not ripping on him or whatever. Therefore this goes around and around in pointless circles ever since 2006.

You do not see teams carrying a roster full of below average hitters that can field. I wouldn't call BA a Underachiever, maybe reality shows us that he is not that good.

You don't, and really nobody on the board has ever actually said this except to say that if conditions A, B, and/or C are met, then Anderson is ok to hit 9th. Whether or not he'll ever hit more than .230 is disputed, along with the reasons he hasn't. And that's ok. But virtually every time his name comes up this part of the conversation is passed over.

Edited by lostfan

Not true, hence why I said it.

Please. How many people here have said that Brian Anderson is not a plus defender? Or that he's decent/average? Point them out to me cause his defense is valued alot here. I love BA, but he is very overrated on this board, which at times, makes me like him less. I just wish the sox brass (or Ozzie for that matter) would stop dicking around with him and get the man his CONSISTANT playing time (which he hasn't had up in the bigs since he was a rookie and even then wasn't as much) to see what hes really got. None of this platoon lefites bulls***, BA can hit right-handed pitching Ozzie.

i agree. but if he dosent make the team, who does instead of him? a bench of miller wise and lilli, blah lol

Sigh. I'm not really in the mood right now to clarify what I meant by that and I especially don't have the free time to dig up quotes, all I'm going to say is that it wasn't supposed to be read in the extreme like that (the fact that someone could take that out of context also kind of proves the point I was trying to make). I also wasn't really talking about only Soxtalk.

Edited by lostfan

perhaps I was a little extreme, as I'm in the part of the group that "feels he can be a decent player/tallest midget/yada yada," I just so happen to really, really like the type of player Anderson could be. It still feels as though there is no middle ground, but I believe that's just what I think when really those that like him think he should start, those that don't think he should be traded/sent down/burned alive, and those in the middle think he should be the 4th outfielder. I tend to bunch those that think he should be the 4th outfielder with the hate group, so that's more my misconception.

I still think he's the best option for CF but I'm not sure the opening day CFer is currently on the roster.

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
Increase trade value? The more he plays the more his value declines. Way to get his value up at the lead off spot, guy has no clue how to adjust at the plate.

Brian Anderson is the South side version of Felix Pie. :lolhitting