3/21 Sox v. Cubs

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (qwerty @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 06:43 PM)
His arm strength has been questioned for a while now, along with his accuracy. At the very best he has an average arm all around at this point in time.

Accuracy, maybe. Arm strength, no.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 05:51 PM)

He has made some strong throws, but a lot of the time, he's hunting rattlesnakes. He holds on to it too long most likely. He also isn't very accurate. He had 2 today where just a halfway decent throw nails the runner, and they both were in very easily. He can hit, no doubt about it, but his defense is definitely a minus. Its not Ron Kittle bad yet, hopefully he can improve, but just the little I've seen of him this spring, he looks no different to weaker defensively compared to 2008.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 05:51 PM)

Maybe compared to the average minor leaguer he is above average, for a major league player that would not be the case (arm strength). I cannot recall many touting quentin's arm strength to be anything above average. In college ball he was supposedly a very strong defender (compared to what else was around him), the times change though, as the competition gets stronger. Dye's arm strength easily blows quentin's out of the water and he no longer has the accuracy he once possessed, we all know dye is has become a very bad outfielder, he is does nothing but hurt the sox while in the field. Dye is realistically nothing more than a dh at this point.. If anderson is not in center the sox will be be fielding one of the worst, if not the worst defensive outfields in the majors once more.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)
Maybe compared to the average minor leaguer he is above average, for a major league player that would not be the case (arm strength). I cannot recall many touting quentin's arm strength to be anything above average. In college ball he was supposedly a very strong defender (compared to what else was around him), the times change though, as the competition gets stronger. Dye's arm strength easily blows quentin's out of the water and he no longer has the accuracy he once possessed, we all know dye is has become a very bad outfielder, he is does nothing but hurt the sox while in the field. Dye is realistically nothing more than a dh at this point.. If anderson is not in center the sox will be be fielding one of the worst, if not the worst defensive outfields in the majors once more.

I think you may be overstating this point just a bit here. The guys on the other side of town aren't anything to write home about with Soriano, Bradley and Fukudome in CF.

Also, Quentin isn't a bad fielder, just not as good as he was supposed to be so people are kinda down on him, and despite his lack of speed JD still takes great routes to the ball and has a cannon for an arm. He did win a gold glove at one point in time and hasn't lost his skill, just his wheels.

I would also say that the Yankees could contend for worst outfield with Damon, Matsui, Swisher and Gardner splitting time.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
Um. what?
Did you watch the game? He hit the cutoff man on a play to home on about 4 bounces, twice. Both times he could've had the runner pretty easily, and the first time the runner wasn't even around third base by the time Quentin fielded the ball. The strength might've been there, if he didn't throw it straight into the ground 10 feet to the right of where the catcher would be.

Brian Anderson also threw someone out at home again today (from RF this time), on a similar play to the ones Quentin had. BA has a good arm, but not what you'd consider a prototypical RF arm.

We may have to get used to Quentin playing LF, since he might not have the arm for RF anymore.

QUOTE (almagest @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 10:52 PM)
Did you watch the game?

No, obviously, I occasionally watch ST games but I don't watch them like they're real games nor should I. It's spring training. I don't care that much and it's silly to overreact.

edit: Anderson also has had trouble with accuracy sometimes.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 21, 2009 -> 11:58 PM)
No, obviously, I occasionally watch ST games but I don't watch them like they're real games nor should I. It's spring training. I don't care that much and it's silly to overreact.

edit: Anderson also has had trouble with accuracy sometimes.

Anderson also has 5 outfield assists this spring, so evidently he's worked on accuracy.

Maybe in the past Quentin had a good arm, but he's had shoulder and wrist surgery, which certainly could have brought a good arm down to mediocre. The fact is, Quentin had 2 easy outs with even a halfway decent throw, and his throws were terrible. He needs to do better otherwise teams are going to run on him all day.