Should fans 'Blackout' Opening Day?

wilmot825

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)
Yeah, the blackout was cool last year but I prefer the Sox steer clear of as many gimmicks as possible. Let's keep the blackouts only for when we're facing playoff elimination.

Only elimination? Or clinching games too?

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 08:34 AM)
Only elimination? Or clinching games too?

No clinching game, just when facing elimination. How embarrassing it would it be to see the Sox go 0-3 during blackouts in a late September series against the Indians where we were supposed to clinch. Ugh. Just do it for the elimination games. That way if we win it makes the blackout look good, and if we lose, we look like asses for one game instead of an entire series.

Just think about the Braves chop chop "oooooo OOOOO oooOOOOooooo OOOOOoooooOOOO OOOO ooooOOOO OOOOO OOOO oooooo OOOOO OOoo oooooo" thing that went on far too long. If they had done it selectively instead of every damn meaningful game then it would still be cool.

I respectfully disagree.

If you do it too much it loses the nostalgia. Save it for when we really need it (I.E. clinching games).

We should take to another level and start wearing blackface. Robert Downey Jr. made it cool again!

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
We should take to another level and start wearing blackface. Robert Downey Jr. made it cool again!

Hahah, awesome. :D

Honestly, though, I have to agree with those who say overdoing it would water down it's effect. It was one of the most awesome things I've seen the White Sox fan base do, ever, and if it becomes a too often used rally cry, it'll get old. It was bad ass enough to be kept playoffs only, or big game in the playoffs only -- it's intimidating for other teams, and if we use it all the time they'll just be like...meh.

QUOTE (wilmot825 @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 12:18 AM)
I am going to Opening Day on the 6th and just thought maybe us Sox fans should keep it going. The whole Blackout thing was so cool from last year that maybe it should carry over into Opening Day 2009. Does anyone else agree?

On opening day & every Friday (Night) home game of the year. Pass it on!

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)
Should be done every game. Those who think it would water it down by doing that are flat out wrong. Look no further than Penn State football or Illinois basketball. Seeing a solid one color never gets old.

Except it would lose its luster when half of the crowd is black and half is green.