Chris Stewart traded to NYY

justBLAZE

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 03:20 PM)
I guess that blows my whole theory of Donny Lucy backing up/mentoring Tyler Flowers in B'ham.

yep, looks like Lucy and Armstong to Charlotte. Oh well, I always liked Stewart and I hope him the best of luck.

I knew they would never keep all 4 of these backup candidates in the system.

So now there are only two left in camp - Miller and Lucy. Seems likely that Miller has the job, so, him and Armstrong will split time in Charlotte. If Miller falters, we'll see whichever is doing better, though Lucy makes more sense being a right handed hitter.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 05:20 PM)
Is Flowers definitely going to AA or is he joining Danks and the Purple Phallus?
sorry going back to the original post "future considerations" what does that mean? another minor leaguer or is the value of future considerations have to do with how Stewart is valued after he goes to the yankees? A draft pick what or when does the yankees have to give back. do we have a choice now or are we offered something later.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 05:33 PM)
sorry going back to the original post "future considerations" what does that mean? another minor leaguer or is the value of future considerations have to do with how Stewart is valued after he goes to the yankees? A draft pick what or when does the yankees have to give back. do we have a choice now or are we offered something later.

When its for a guy like Chris Stewart, chances are, it will be for a guy who you never have heard of, and probably will never hear of again. Its probably based on his performance and/or if he plays for the Yankees or in the minors. If Posada can't play much, Stewart may be in NY.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 05:20 PM)
Is Flowers definitely going to AA or is he joining Danks and the Purple Phallus?

Flowers spent all last year in the Carolina League with Myrtle Beach, so it's safe to assume he'll be assigned to B'ham based on progression.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)
yep, looks like Lucy and Armstong to Charlotte. Oh well, I always liked Stewart and I hope him the best of luck.

I guess that means they will promote Francisco Hernandez to B'ham, unless Adam Ricks is ticketed to back up/mentor Flowers.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 06:09 PM)
I guess that means they will promote Francisco Hernandez to B'ham, unless Adam Ricks is ticketed to back up/mentor Flowers.

Ricks isn't going to start anywhere, so they'll put him whereever needs a backup. Is Ricks good defensively? If so, B-Ham seems logical.

Then again, where does Innouye go? Is he still going to catch, or move to another position?

I assume Dubler will start in Kanny.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)
I heard the other day from a friend of Corky Miller's that he will be the back-up catcher for the Sox. Should be official shortly. I didn't think it was possible to find a worse hitter than Toby Hall (during his Sox career).

I guess you're not old enough to remember Chuck Brinkman.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 02:45 AM)
Corky has outhit Brinkman .176 to .172. They are basically the same. KW did the near impossible, he downgraded from a torn labrumed Toby Hall.

It's amazing how he did nothing to upgrade the CF/leadoff position or the back-up catching position. Like you said, he basically did the near impossible this offseason.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 10:12 PM)
From what I have seen this spring, I'd gladly take Corky Miller over Toby Hall... I'm not saying Corky would be my first choice, but I think he is a lot better defensively and a whole lot more competent at plate.

He is better defensively than Hall (but then again, so probably am I), but offensively he his horrible. He is a career .176 hitter with a 1-55 stretch from 2004-2006. He's had hits this spring, but they don't count. When the bell rings, if he really is the back-up, AJP is going to be one tired player. Many of his "off" days will see him get some action as Miller, basically a pitcher at the plate, will have to be hit for.

You have to take spring training results with a grain of salt. Especially offensive ones. Pitchers aren't up to speed, and many AB are against guys who will be nowhere near the major leagues when the games count.

Finally, its not like he's a young guy who may figure things out. He's 33.

Edited by Dick Allen

Well, I haven't seen official word on this, and Lucy is still in camp. So I wouldn't call it a done deal yet. If they were sure, then why didn't they send Lucy over to the minor league camp when they send Flowers and Armstrong over?

Not that I think Lucy will light it up in the majors, but, playing part time against mostly LH pitching, I'm fairly certain he'd out-hit Miller by a lot, and give you solid defense as well.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 06:10 PM)
Ricks isn't going to start anywhere, so they'll put him whereever needs a backup. Is Ricks good defensively? If so, B-Ham seems logical.

Then again, where does Innouye go? Is he still going to catch, or move to another position?

I assume Dubler will start in Kanny.

I've always heard Ed Collari, the W-S radio guy, say Ricks is a very good defensive catcher. He could back-up/mentor Flowers for B'ham. Ricks has been in W-S for like 3 years, so he deserves a promotion. Hernandez probably will remain in W-S for 2009, John Curtis will probably move up to W-S. Inouye will probably start in Kanny, unless W-S carries 3 catchers. I have noticed that the tthree top levels have always carried a third "injured" catcher who is on the reserve list most of the time unless there is a need for him. The best example of that has been Charlotte and B'ham the last two years. In B'ham, they have Eric Hollis, who always seems to have a "sore back" and is on the DL unless he is needed for depth. He is coincidently from a town not far from B'ham. He played at Samford with Ehren Wassermann. Ryan Smith at Charlotte did the same thing all of 2007 and part of 2008 until he apparently retired.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Mar 22, 2009 -> 06:31 PM)
Isn't Ricks capable of playing multiple positions? If so, he'll find a spot on the bench for either Charlotte or Birmingham.

Are minor league roster limits 25 also?

EDIT: I found my answer. If anyone else is interested, the link is: http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?opt...y&Itemid=75

That AA roster limit thing is a b**ch. At least in the Southern League, the 23 man limit seems like it hasn't been enforced over the past few years. I've noticed that the Barons had 24 active most of the season the past three years.