3/27/09 Sox @ Cubs, 3:05 WGN/WSCR

Kalapse

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
Why would they cut him early if he's out of options?

Not saying he's going to turn it around but there's no upside to it. If your pinch runner Lillibridge gets hurt, you have Owens to fall back on.

That's the downside to doing it, there's no upside.

I'm glad fan-type passion is absent from most coaching staffs out there.

The downside is he is taking playing time from players that may serve a purpose.....wanna keep him around fine. There is plenty of room on the bench.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)
He's still fighting for a starting spot. Why not have the guy who should leadoff during the season get a whirl there before the season starts? The question I have is why ignore what has happened his whole career and base everything on a couple of exibition games at the end of a brutally long spring training? Don't they know Jerry Owens yet? Are their opinions really going to change if he gets a couple of hits? What value other than a pinch runner does he have? Can a team that will carry 12 pitchers keep a guy around just to pinch run? Besides, its not like he's been tearing up the basepaths this spring.

The fact that Ozzie still mentions his name after games is embarrassing.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 08:25 PM)
Hate to say it but that extra base hit couldve been had by another 3b

He was playing the line too

Oh dear lord, tell me we won't have to deal with these type of posts all year. There's not a 3rd baseman in the history of baseball who could have fielded that.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 08:23 PM)
Am I being overly negative when I say that this offense looks like it may be easily shut down again this season and could have some really ugly games?????

KW would have no one to blame but himself for failing to upgrade the offense.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 03:26 PM)
Oh dear lord, tell me we won't have to deal with these type of posts all year. There's not a 3rd baseman in the history of baseball who could have fielded that.

Wait till we play the twins. At least the legend is out in San Fran playing where the fanboys can't see him regularly.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 03:23 PM)
Am I being overly negative when I say that this offense looks like it may be easily shut down again this season and could have some really ugly games?????

They will have a low OBP guy leadoff.

Quentin is a high OBP, but he may not be able to duplicate last season.

Thome is a high OBP but has been declining a bit and he can't run.

For all the "speed" added to the line-up, I see Fields for Crede, definitely more speed, but Fields will most likely be a lower OBP guy. Getz for Cabrera. I think if Getz matched Cabrera's offensive numbers of 2008, most would be thrilled. I don't see this huge increase in team speed they have been preaching. I think they will score a lot of runs but it will be just as inconsistent as it has been the past few years.

Oh we will. And every Crede accomplishment will be screamed.

So, this is interesting to me. I watched the Cubs/Sox game a week or so ago, and noticed that the Cubs were just pounding the 3rd base line. Seemed like every hit went down that line. Doing it again today, from what I can tell. I wonder if that is intentional with Fields being a near-rookie over there, or if the Cubs are just pull happy, or what.

NOT saying Crede would be getting them, at all. I'm just saying it seems like a habit of this Cubs team to hit there. Probably something worth remember for when we play them, positioning wise.

Farmio indicated immediately he felt Fields didnt see that one early enough off the bat.

There's no 3rd baseman in history who couldve gotten to that one as late as Fields started moving.

By no means a very doable play but it was not a top tier absolute scalder down the line

Edited by Princess Dye

Its not dead arm, its way too early. He's probably just having a s***ty game, unless he's hurt. Richard was inconsistent last season too, from outing to outing. He's still adjusting. I hope he stays in the pen until he can consistently keep pitches down, and consistently deliver his breakers without hanging them.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 03:29 PM)
They will have a low OBP guy leadoff.

Quentin is a high OBP, but he may not be able to duplicate last season.

Thome is a high OBP but has been declining a bit and he can't run.

For all the "speed" added to the line-up, I see Fields for Crede, definitely more speed, but Fields will most likely be a lower OBP guy. Getz for Cabrera. I think if Getz matched Cabrera's offensive numbers of 2008, most would be thrilled. I don't see this huge increase in team speed they have been preaching. I think they will score a lot of runs but it will be just as inconsistent as it has been the past few years.

The Sox got a .323 OBP from their 3B last year, Josh should be able to match that.

1.) no way anyone gets to that ball hill hit on the line...

2.) Dye is f***ing unbearably slow in the OF

3.) Richard and Carassco aren't good enough to not throw strikes and pitch ahead....

4.) i think its within the realm of possibility now that Richard goes to AAA and Williams breaks camp as teh second lefty in the pen

edit 5.) any cub fan who says kasper and brenley are less of homers than hawk needs to put the crack pipe down

Edited by daa84