3/29 - Sox @ DBacks

scenario

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 03:08 PM)
If you think cracking 100 K is bad discipline then you'll be shocked to see how many highly touted prospects K at a much higher rate than that. Of current and former top prospects in our organization, Fields, Anderson, Nix, Allen and Flowers have cracked that. Shelby would have easily cracked that last year if he'd have played a full season, Viciedo will almost certainly crack that if he's down there all year, so will Jordan Danks, and it just goes on. Beckham and Getz are pretty rare. Why do you think Jeremy Reed was such a huge prospect for us?

Lilli actually walks (through his minor league career) at a pretty good rate (career .352 minor league OBP).

I'm sorry but you will never convince me that 129 K's vs 36 BB's as he had last season is anything but a terrible K/BB ratio, on top of that, he's a leadoff type hitter, not a slugger. Power hitters will always K more often than speed guys.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 05:13 PM)
I'm sorry but you will never convince me that 129 K's vs 36 BB's as he had last season is anything but a terrible K/BB ratio, on top of that, he's a leadoff type hitter, not a slugger. Power hitters will always K more often than speed guys.

I'd never try to convince you of that, because I wouldn't support the .294 OBP he carried around with him in Richmond that year. Like I said from the getgo, his career in the minors is much better than that, a .352 OBP. He K'd 119 times the year before and still looks like he got on at about a .340+ clip combined between AA and AAA.

Edit: Also, if you look at his numbers in Triple A last year, he only hit .220. His OBP was 74 points higher than his BA, and over his minor league career there's generally a 50-100+ point difference between his average and OBP. If he hits .270 that season then he's getting on at near a .344 clip. The players you need to watch out for are the ones who can't open up that gap between AVG and OBP, making their whole games reliant upon a .300 batting average in order to post a respectable OBP.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

Getz with a seeing-eye single up the middle off former White Sox lefty Schoenweis (he off the steroids list) for two RBI's to blow the game wide open, now 9-3.

Jerry Owens also had an RBI single (first hit of game), but too little, too late.

MacDougal continuing to make a bid to make the team in his second inning this game, after getting hit on the foot by a pitch while batting.

They said Lillibridge really deked the runner on that home run, making him think it was a double play ball and completely stopping him in his tracks...once again, I think that's the kind of thing that everyone who knows baseball notices (but doesn't make the box score) and momentum is certainly undoubtedly in his favor to make the team, with Nix and Kroeger both out of the running.

By the way, Kroeger was born in Davenport, Iowa, so with Sweeney and now Gilmore, we're getting a disproportionate share of native Iowans on the White Sox these days. Good to see.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 04:37 PM)
Terrero had some pop, he could throw, he could make the plays in the OF, and he could run. He could also hit for pretty good average coming up for the D'Backs. Things just didn't work out for him, but that doesn't mean he was never a prospect. Alex Cintron was a pretty big prospect coming up for them too and he also turned into a bench player. And actually, Andy Gonzalez was once considered a good prospect for us as well. The truth is, normally you have to have some kind of talent to ever get any kind of shot in the big leagues. Many if not most of guys who end up on benches, like Pablo Ozuna, Willie Harris, Ben Davis if you remember him, etc. were at one time pretty big prospects.

Kroeger might be a story if he had a shot at making the team, but unfortunately he doesn't. It appears Wise and BA have locked up jobs.

I saw Luis Terrero play one of his first professional games in the Pioneer League. Yikes!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
By the way, Kroeger was born in Davenport, Iowa, so with Sweeney and now Gilmore, we're getting a disproportionate share of native Iowans on the White Sox these days. Good to see.

Why is that good? As a U of I alum, I hate Iowa and everything in it. You know why it's always windy in Illinois, don't you? :)

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 04:43 PM)
A swarm of bees causes a delay of game.

"Bees!!!! Save yourself. Your fire-arms are useless against them."

Oh man, for all the good lines in Tommy Boy, that is by far the most underrated. One of my favorite lines ever...especially when you see and hear how Chris Farley delivered it (may he rest in peace).

Great call, Scenario.