Dallas McPherson?

JPN366

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 05:37 PM)
Yea I remember him from the Angels org. when he was the next big thing. Citadel guy as well, pretty high potential and still has. Can be a real late bloomer, still hasn't really gotten a "true" shot at the bigs. He'll help Charlotte's playoff chances that's for sure not to mention a potential callup if Fields struggles or if Viciedo isn't quite ready though i'm sure he'll probably be pretty low on their depth chart..

Charlotte gets to use a DH right?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 07:41 PM)
The fact that Dallas McPherson is still looked at as a third baseman is just stunning to me.

We are a little short a 1B considering there has to be a better than 25% chance that PK does at least one stint on the 15 this season... especially if he is struggling.

Also, if we are rebuilding or at least kind of rebuilding, wouldn't you prefer your backup corner infielder have the upside McPhereson has?

He is a slam dunk for me. Ask any stat idiot and they will tell you that you can book him for 25+ HR in 450 at bats.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
We are a little short a 1B considering there has to be a better than 25% chance that PK does at least one stint on the 15 this season... especially if he is struggling.

Also, if we are rebuilding or at least kind of rebuilding, wouldn't you prefer your backup corner infielder have the upside McPhereson has?

He is a slam dunk for me. Ask any stat idiot and they will tell you that you can book him for 25+ HR in 450 at bats.

No doubt. He's a lot like Jack Cust in that there was never any doubt that if given a full time job he'd hit 25 or 30 homeruns in any stadium in baseball you just have to hope that he doesn't kill you with the rest of his quite unpolished game (since getting his shot post-30 Cust has proven to be an incredibly valuable player). I'd feel a lot more comfortable with Dallas McPherson in Charlotte this season (hitting maybe 50 HR) than Ben Broussard he just has no business ever playing the hot corner again.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 05:58 PM)
No doubt. He's a lot like Jack Cust in that there was never any doubt that if given a full time job he'd hit 25 or 30 homeruns in any stadium in baseball you just have to hope that he doesn't kill you with the rest of his quite unpolished game (since getting his shot post-30 Cust has proven to be an incredibly valuable player). I'd feel a lot more comfortable with Dallas McPherson in Charlotte this season (hitting maybe 50 HR) than Ben Broussard he just has no business ever playing the hot corner again.

What kind of OPS do you think he'd put up in the big leagues if he had the DH role?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 08:00 PM)
What kind of OPS do you think he'd put up in the big leagues if he had the DH role?

Maybe ~.730-.750 but with a ~.230 ISO and a 40%+ K rate. That's assuming it doesn't click for him.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 08:04 PM)
Maybe ~.730-.750 but with a ~.230 ISO and a 40%+ K rate. That's assuming it doesn't click for him.

In other words something you do not want out of your dh.

High side i can see him anywhere from .810-830... if he were to click.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 08:07 PM)
In other words something you do not want out of your dh.

High side i can see him anywhere from .810-830... if he were to click.

Yep, with 40 HR, 240 K and an IsoD of ~.70. In other words: .250/.320/.500/.820, he'd have to have an astronomical BABIP.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 07:12 PM)
I'd definitely take him in Charlotte just for the pure depth and to make our affiliate better. He can potentially be a callup in case of an injury, and in Charlotte he can switch between playing 1B, 3B, and DH.

If he can't make it as a part time player with the Marlins I have trouble believing he can do better than a AAA team anywhere else right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 09:17 PM)
If he can't make it as a part time player with the Marlins I have trouble believing he can do better than a AAA team anywhere else right now.

I don't really know why this was directed towards me, but I agree.

There's a reason why he's a 29 year old who spent the season in AAA and hasn't ever really gotten a full time chance at the bigs and that reason is injuries. He's had major back problems for a long time and was out of the game for a couple years, from about 06-07 I think. He's had a couple of vertebrae fused and you never really know if his back will hold out long term. He's also a butcher at 3B but that's besides the point.

Also- I doubt he'd want to sign with us as he wouldn't really have much of a chance at playing time. We've got Fields and Viciedo blocking him not to mention pretty good organizational depth at 3rd with Retherford and Morel in the lower levels.

He'll probably sign with a team where he could legitimately get some PT like the Yankees or he could even sign with the Twins and they could have two 3B with bad backs.