Minor League Catch-All thread 2009 edition

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
Hi all, I'm driving the family to Disney next weekend and convinced my wife that we should go through Birmingham so we can see the Barons, I'll be there on Saturday night. If anyone has any interesting tips of has any idea as to whom might be pitching, it would be appreciated.

I was born in Springfield way back in 1962. Now live in Alabama and may be going to the game that night. What is your story?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 05:58 PM)
Fernando Hernandez, Justin Cassel and Matthew Zaleski are also on Charlotte's roster. Poreda and Russell are gone so that explains 2 of those. Nunez's promotion in Richard's roster spot is spot 3.

Santos, Johnnie Lowe and Miguel Socolovich moved up to Bham.

Charlis Burdie and Daniel Albritton moved up to W-S. I think they have an open roster spot. Their roster is at 24, isn't it 25 down in A ball?

Serafin got a well deserved promotion to Kanny. Joining him is Enrique Lechuga. Dylan Axelrod is a catcher that I have no info on, he could be another addition.

FS story on the promotions

Corley, Burdie and Albritton have been promoted from Kanny to W-S in the pen, and not Remenowsky. Someone needs to explain this to me.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 10:58 PM)
Fernando Hernandez, Justin Cassel and Matthew Zaleski are also on Charlotte's roster. Poreda and Russell are gone so that explains 2 of those. Nunez's promotion in Richard's roster spot is spot 3.

Charlis Burdie and Daniel Albritton moved up to W-S. I think they have an open roster spot. Their roster is at 24, isn't it 25 down in A ball?

Serafin got a well deserved promotion to Kanny. Joining him is Enrique Lechuga. Dylan Axelrod is a catcher that I have no info on, he could be another addition.

Axelrod is a pitcher, he was in a different org last year and first 2 months of this year, then we signed him after he was released. The transactions info was incorrect calling him a catcher. He pitched in relief last night.

QUOTE (MnSoxFan @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
Axelrod is a pitcher, he was in a different org last year and first 2 months of this year, then we signed him after he was released. The transactions info was incorrect calling him a catcher. He pitched in relief last night.

He was signed away from the Windy City Thunderbolts of the Frontier League.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 06:58 PM)

And the last remnant of the White Flag trade gets closer to Chicago, haha

He should be if Mobile's performance the past two nights is any indication.

Let's also hope Viciedo keeps getting better with his offense. He's made some strides in the last 2 weeks. I think no erros either although not 100% sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting stats from the Southern League...Dayan Viciedo is second in the league with 124 hits, he's only struck out 79 times. He also has the most AB's. David Cook leads the league in runs scored, and is tied for the lead in RBI's. He'll take that lead soon because the guy he was tied with has been promoted. He's also second, but soon to be first in homeruns. C.J. Retherford is second in the league in doubles.

Marrero nearly killed the Montgomery pitcher last night. Hit a double off the pitcher's skull.

"August 18, 2009

Tampa Bay Rays minor-leaguer in ICU with fractured skull after being hit by line drive

UPDATE, 3:13: The Rays issued a statement saying Downs remains hospitalized in "serious, but stable" position.

DEVELOPING: Darin Downs, a pitcher for the Rays' Double-A Montgomery (Ala.) team, is in the intensive care unit of a Birmingham, Ala., hospital with a fractured skull after being hit by a line drive in Monday's game, the Montgomery (Ala.) Advertiser's Stacy Long reported.

Downs is alert and conscious, with doctors monitoring cranial bleeing and swelling, Biscuits spokesman Jon Laaser told the paper.

Downs, a 24-year-old lefty, was hit on the head during the fifth inning by a line drive by Christian Marrero, with the ball deflecting into the Barons' dugout for a ground-rule double.

Downs never lost consciousness and was taken by ambulance to St. Vincent's Hospital in downtown Birmingham.

Downs was 12-4, 2.00 at Class A Charlotte before being promoted to the Biscuits, and was making his second Double-A start.

Also, new White Sox pitcher Jake Peavy will make a rehab start for Charlotte today against Triple-A Durham.

"http://blogs.tampabay.com/rays/2009/08/tampa-bay-rays-minorleaguer-in-icu-with-fractured-skull-after-being-hit-by-line-drive.html"

Weird Peavy shout-out at the end.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)
Marrero nearly killed the Montgomery pitcher last night. Hit a double off the pitcher's skull.

"August 18, 2009

Tampa Bay Rays minor-leaguer in ICU with fractured skull after being hit by line drive

UPDATE, 3:13: The Rays issued a statement saying Downs remains hospitalized in "serious, but stable" position.

DEVELOPING: Darin Downs, a pitcher for the Rays' Double-A Montgomery (Ala.) team, is in the intensive care unit of a Birmingham, Ala., hospital with a fractured skull after being hit by a line drive in Monday's game, the Montgomery (Ala.) Advertiser's Stacy Long reported.

Downs is alert and conscious, with doctors monitoring cranial bleeing and swelling, Biscuits spokesman Jon Laaser told the paper.

Downs, a 24-year-old lefty, was hit on the head during the fifth inning by a line drive by Christian Marrero, with the ball deflecting into the Barons' dugout for a ground-rule double.

Downs never lost consciousness and was taken by ambulance to St. Vincent's Hospital in downtown Birmingham.

Downs was 12-4, 2.00 at Class A Charlotte before being promoted to the Biscuits, and was making his second Double-A start.

Also, new White Sox pitcher Jake Peavy will make a rehab start for Charlotte today against Triple-A Durham.

"http://blogs.tampabay.com/rays/2009/08/tampa-bay-rays-minorleaguer-in-icu-with-fractured-skull-after-being-hit-by-line-drive.html"

Wow. I certainly hope he pulls through OK. Hit his head so hard it went into the dugout? Sheesh. Marrero must feel terrible as well (I realize of course its not his fault at all, but thinking if I was him, I'd still feel badly).

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)

"August 18, 2009

I saw it happen, it was awful. Marrero hit that ball so hard, it must have been going about 120 MPH on the way back. Downs put his glove up, but it still got a good bit of his head. It actually deflected into Montgomery's dugout.

Edited by JPN366

The Barons, Dash & Voyagers have all clinched spots in the playoffs. B'ham and W-S have a chance to win both halves. Kanny is in good position to win the second half and get into the playoffs. Winning the second half favors that team in the playoffs. Bristol and Charlotte suck. Not bad to pretty much get 4 out of 6 minor league teams into the playoffs.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)
Anyone ever hear why Lucy went to the DL?

I was at the game against the Mudcats when he got hurt. He hit a grounder, was safe, and nothing looked abnormal, but the trainer came out and Donny had to come out. He was walking gingerly. He had to walk back to the clubhouse.

The Cubs were 27th in spending on their first 10 draft picks, ahead of only the Phillies, Rangers and Mets. The White Sox, according to Baseball America, were 19th on the list and the third most compliant in staying within MLB's slotting guidelines. Only the cash-strapped Rangers (43 percent) and Blue Jays (81 percent) stayed below the slot recommendations more than the White Sox (84 percent). ...

The biggest spenders, compared with slots, were the Tigers (214 percent), Red Sox (191 percent), Athletics (190 percent) and Yankees (177 percent). Look for firm slotting guidelines to be an issue in the next labor negotiations. ...

Thought this was a good spot for this little blurb on Sox spending. Was stunned to see where the Cubs were and wasn't at all surprised at where the Sox stood on slot spending.

I will be thrilled when baseball adjusts the draft process.

Another rough outing for Dexter Carter with Fort Wayne: 3.2 IP, 4 runs, 5 hits, 3 BB, 2 K's. His ERA is now at 12.86 since leaving Kanny.

And Poreda continues to suffer from crappy control: 4 IP, 2 runs, 1 hit, 6 BB, 3 K's. His ERA now at 7.57 since joining Portland.

QUOTE (CSF @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 06:36 PM)
Another rough outing for Dexter Carter with Fort Wayne: 3.2 IP, 4 runs, 5 hits, 3 BB, 2 K's. His ERA is now at 12.86 since leaving Kanny.

And Poreda continues to suffer from crappy control: 4 IP, 2 runs, 1 hit, 6 BB, 3 K's. His ERA now at 7.57 since joining Portland.

Man, whatever we were doing to make those guys look so good we need to keep it up.

Adam Russell has a 5.25 with Portland as well. Though he actually has been decent. He's got 4 saves, and of the 9 appearances he's had, all 7 runs he gave up were in 1 outing. Of course, 6 BB in 12 IP is not so good.

Again, at least Clayton is giving them a bit on the return.

QUOTE (CSF @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 10:11 PM)
Adam Russell has a 5.25 with Portland as well. Though he actually has been decent. He's got 4 saves, and of the 9 appearances he's had, all 7 runs he gave up were in 1 outing. Of course, 6 BB in 12 IP is not so good.

Again, at least Clayton is giving them a bit on the return.

I think Russell was called up.