Minor League Catch-All thread 2009 edition

southsider2k5

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Getz, Wise, Flowers, Fields & Torres going up to Chicago and Kroeger, Negron, Armstrong, Wassermann & Harrell joining their respective Baseball World Cup teams, Charlotte needed players to fill out their roster. With Bristol's season ending today, Charlotte received Brent DeFoor, Miguel Gonzalez, Jose Fulgencio and Brady Shoemaker from Bristol. They also received Lee Fischer from Kannapolis, Kent Gerst and Ryan Rote from Winston-Salem as well as adding Brandon Hynick. Justin Fuller was assigned to Winston-Salem, but is not active yet. The Barons received pitcher Jacob Marceaux as a free agent. He was a former first round pick of the Marlins and had not pitched in affiliate ball this year, nor in the indy leagues as far as I know. I doubt he'll be eligible for the postseason. Gerst and Rote should be returning to Winston-Salem for the playoffs after Charlotte's season ends next Monday, as well as Fischer likely returning to Kannapolis for their playoffs. As all three are eligible to play in the playoffs for the Dash and the Intimidators.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
With Getz, Wise, Flowers, Fields & Torres going up to Chicago and Kroeger, Negron, Armstrong, Wassermann & Harrell joining their respective Baseball World Cup teams, Charlotte needed players to fill out their roster. With Bristol's season ending today, Charlotte received Brent DeFoor, Miguel Gonzalez, Jose Fulgencio and Brady Shoemaker from Bristol. They also received Lee Fischer from Kannapolis, Kent Gerst and Ryan Rote from Winston-Salem as well as adding Brandon Hynick. Justin Fuller was assigned to Winston-Salem, but is not active yet. The Barons received pitcher Jacob Marceaux as a free agent. He was a former first round pick of the Marlins and had not pitched in affiliate ball this year, nor in the indy leagues as far as I know. I doubt he'll be eligible for the postseason. Gerst and Rote should be returning to Winston-Salem for the playoffs after Charlotte's season ends next Monday, as well as Fischer likely returning to Kannapolis for their playoffs. As all three are eligible to play in the playoffs for the Dash and the Intimidators.

What the heck is a baseball world cup?

Also, Ehren Wassermann is from Alabama. Did they secede and become another country?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 1, 2009 -> 05:27 PM)
What the heck is a baseball world cup?

Also, Ehren Wassermann is from Alabama. Did they secede and become another country?

Negron (Puerto Rico), Wassermann, Kroeger, Harrell (USA) and Armstrong (Canada).

Poreda's line yesterday: 5.1 IP, 1 hit, 3 ER, 8 BB, 8 K's. Good Lord.

I know an adjustment period is to be expected, but 37 BB in 32 innings? That's Marmol-esque, without the wipeout slider. At least Dexter's on the DL, so maybe he wasn't 100%, but Poreda is all over the place. How did the Sox coaches get through to him where San Diego's aren't?

Edited by CSF

QUOTE (CSF @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 09:34 PM)

I know an adjustment period is to be expected, but 37 BB in 32 innings? That's Marmol-esque, without the wipeout slider. At least Dexter's on the DL, so maybe he wasn't 100%, but Poreda is all over the place. How did the Sox coaches get through to him where San Diego's aren't?

He actually only made a couple AAA starts with the Sox, so he's really not use to such patient veteran hitters yet. I'm surprised he's not in San Diego pitching yet. What do they have to lose by pitching him in the majors now?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 07:39 PM)
He actually only made a couple AAA starts with the Sox, so he's really not use to such patient veteran hitters yet. I'm surprised he's not in San Diego pitching yet. What do they have to lose by pitching him in the majors now?

He wasn't really up that long with us, they might be able to get another year of arb-eligibility if they hold him down there for extra time right?

QUOTE (CSF @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 09:34 PM)

I'm guessing that is a product of the Sox pitching philosophy of taking a little off of the top to get repeatability in the motion. I'd be willing to bet he is back to throwing 96+ again.

So, Charlotte's season is over, but I was thinking, their rotation next year should be interesting to watch. Assuming Freddy gets the #5 slot, which I think is likely, and that they like Hudson as a starter (also likely), it would probably look something like this...

Hudson/Torres (I figure one of them is in the pen in Chicago, and Torres may go away)

Ely

Shirek

Omogrosso

Harrell

If Omogrosso is converted to a reliever, which seems possible, then Matt Long or some reclamation project slides in there.

Could be a pretty good AAA rotation right there.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
So, Charlotte's season is over, but I was thinking, their rotation next year should be interesting to watch. Assuming Freddy gets the #5 slot, which I think is likely, and that they like Hudson as a starter (also likely), it would probably look something like this...

Hudson/Torres (I figure one of them is in the pen in Chicago, and Torres may go away)

Ely

Shirek

Omogrosso

Harrell

If Omogrosso is converted to a reliever, which seems possible, then Matt Long or some reclamation project slides in there.

Could be a pretty good AAA rotation right there.

They could give Justin Cassell another look too.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 11, 2009 -> 11:21 AM)
They could give Justin Cassell another look too.

He's another possibility - it will be key to see how he does in the AFL.

Also, one or more of Ely/Shirek/Hudson/Torres/Cassel/Long/Omogrosso/Harrell will probably be somewhere else on Opening Day next year, more than likely. But I like that field of 7-8 guys that we'll have 5 from to get a good look in AAA.

John Ely, made an appearance in the most recent Ask BA:

I never see White Sox righthander John Ely mentioned in prospect rankings. He went 14-2, 2.82 in Double-A this year, but Chicago has four set starters in the major leagues and prospect Daniel Hudson ahead of him. What do you see for Ely?

Jamie Lewis

Princeton, Ill.

Don't say never—Ely came in at No. 9 and No. 11 in our White Sox rankings lists in the last two Prospect Handbooks. A third-round pick out of Miami (Ohio) in 2007, he led the Southern League in victories and strikeouts (125 in 156 innings) and finished second in ERA. Not that wins are the most telling stat for a pitcher, but Ely consistently racks them up and has posted an 83-27 record going back to his days as a high school star in suburban Chicago.

Ely can't overpower hitters with his fringe-average fastball and his curveball is inconsistent, but he does have a nifty changeup. That repertoire doesn't give him a huge ceiling, but he does locate his pitches down in the zone and rarely beats himself by surrendering walks or home runs.

He's a favorite sleeper of mine and I wouldn't rule out Ely carving a niche for himself in the back of someone's rotation. White Sox GM Kenny Williams isn't afraid to trade prospects, and Ely could find a better opportunity elsewhere. He'll probably open 2010 in Triple-A.

More on John Ely from a BA Q&A:

Mike (Chicago): How far away is John Ely from reaching the big leagues and was there any consideration for him to get called up this month?

Ben Badler: He doesn't have much more to go, but he's still going to be a fringy starter. He's 88-90 with an excellent changeup, but there's not much a breaking ball there and his below-average fastball doesn't give him much margin for error.

Dash stadium update:

I talked with a superintendent with Samet, the general contractor that's building the stadium. He said work still hasn't resumed (they still haven't been paid from months ago), and there's no way it will be ready to start next season. He said if nothing is resolved by the 26th of September, the city will have to determine what to do with the project (the city has invested a lot of money in the project, so they'll have to decide what their options are). Samet was asked if they'd buy the stadium, and they said no. He told me the whole project has become a mess.

QUOTE (MckayChristensenFan @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 09:26 PM)
Dash stadium update:

I talked with a superintendent with Samet, the general contractor that's building the stadium. He said work still hasn't resumed (they still haven't been paid from months ago), and there's no way it will be ready to start next season. He said if nothing is resolved by the 26th of September, the city will have to determine what to do with the project (the city has invested a lot of money in the project, so they'll have to decide what their options are). Samet was asked if they'd buy the stadium, and they said no. He told me the whole project has become a mess.

Will they have somewhere to play in 2010 if the stadium is not done?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 14, 2009 -> 05:48 PM)
So, those who have seen him, tell us more about that curve ball? It sounds like that pitch developing is the difference between him being a fringe #5 and a solid #3.

Ben Badler doesn't have any idea what he's talking about. Ely has a nice hook.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/nat...-ely-white-sox/

^Speaking of Ely, here's an old interview with him. I've liked him since I read it. He's a Sox fan and he sounds like a real pitcher, and so far his track record would appear to back that up.

He's a real nice kid too. Great character. He looks like a golfer in street clothes.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 01:33 PM)
Anyone know which of our minor leaguers become free agents this offseason? Or who can point me to a place to find out?

I'd think some of the AAA guys, like Egbert and maybe Torres, would be eligible.

Fernando Hernandez is the one I'm semi-certain will be a FA.