Official Opening Day Post Game Thread

nitetrain8601

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 03:52 PM)
Mahay, Cruz, or even Soria with the game in the balance there.

Also, as Ozzie is talking about it here, why did Cox send Jermaine after we scored our first run? The man was out as soon as Cox waived his hand.

2 years, $9.25M for Farnsworth at the beginning of free agency. What an awful, awful deal.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 09:47 PM)
HUSH you!

JI JIM THOME!!!!!!

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

:P

I made a pledge after the Angels walk-off thrilling homer by Thome last year (off of Speier) that I would never doubt his clutchness. Of course, he confirmed that with game 163.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 04:52 PM)
He plays well above his skill-set. I expect to see him put up 30+ doubles this season and 10+ homers too along with a .280ish average. He's just a smart player with a good idea of what he wants to do at the plate.

I'm excited as hell.

And that's a very good ballplayer. I'll take it any day.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 04:52 PM)
Mahay, Cruz, or even Soria with the game in the balance there.

Also, as Ozzie is talking about it here, why did Cox send Jermaine after we scored our first run? The man was out as soon as Cox waived his hand.

Meh, the alternative was letting Wise hit again.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)
you went to a movie on Sox opening day??? for shame :)

Agreed.

BTW, favorite play of the game was Getz using his baseball IQ and seeing that his weak single made it out of the infield and stretched a single into a double. Even with Podsednik in '05, I don't think he would ever do that.

I really think Getz and Mike Fontenot could be brothers seperated at birth. They're pretty good defensively, don't do anything great, but know how to use their head to make sure they don't do anything bad. Sometimes that's all you need.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)
And that's a very good ballplayer. I'll take it any day.

Yeah, I probably get the majority of things wrong around here, but I am confident that my longstanding faith in Chris Getz is one of the few things that will prove to be accurate. He's just a solid player.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 01:58 PM)
Yeah, I probably get the majority of things wrong around here, but I am confident that my longstanding faith in Chris Getz is one of the few things that will prove to be accurate. He's just a solid player.

He's the kind of guy we really needed to come up with.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)
you went to a movie on Sox opening day??? for shame :)

The people I went with didn't care for me or the Sox and I really wanted to see Fast & Furious. I wasn't going to get another chance this week either...so there was no other option. I was seriously hoping that the theaters would have wifi and let me see the score through my iPod touch. Didn't happen. Oh well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)
He's the kind of guy we really needed to come up with.

Absolutely. And on the contrary, speaking of things I might be wrong about, Clayton Richard. I still don't think he has the stuff to ever be a starting pitcher, but he throws strikes and uses his left hand to do it, so he could be a valuable swing man type in the bullpen for days just like today where the starter doesn't go deep into the game. He looked good today.

and on Getz, given it has only been one game, but I still don't think it's unreasonable (and perhaps it's very reasonable) that someone will have to move, either to a new position or organization, because Getz is that good. And the players I'm speaking of specifically are Beckham and Alexei.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 02:01 PM)
and on Getz, given it has only been one game, but I still don't think it's unreasonable (and perhaps it's very reasonable) that someone will have to move, either to a new position or organization, because Getz is that good. And the players I'm speaking of specifically are Beckham and Alexei.

Beckham for Halladay later this year. You heard it here first.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)

Methinks Getz moves to make room for them, not the other way around. We'll see though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
What was more likely...the Royals making an error or bobbling a ball so that Dye could score, or Wise getting a hit with 2 outs?

Well, I rip on Wise a LOT but he has some respectable clutch stats (at least he did in 2008 because in his career, he's garbage).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)

I agree. He's a glue guy that you need in your lineup or else you have a bunch of guys who can't run the bases and who can't start off a rally.

Maybe move Beckham to 1B. Maybe they plan on Alexei in CF. There's a ton of possibilities. Maybe Beckham does so great we deal him for an awesome package that we can't refuse. Either way, I hope Getz sticks around.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 01:52 PM)
He plays well above his skill-set. I expect to see him put up 30+ doubles this season and 10+ homers too along with a .280ish average. He's just a smart player with a good idea of what he wants to do at the plate.

I'm excited as hell.

As am I. Getz looks like he could be another Ray Durham (but better defensively). Perhaps even a legit leadoff hitter by next year.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 7, 2009 -> 05:00 PM)
The people I went with didn't care for me or the Sox and I really wanted to see Fast & Furious. I wasn't going to get another chance this week either...so there was no other option. I was seriously hoping that the theaters would have wifi and let me see the score through my iPod touch. Didn't happen. Oh well.

Fast and the Furious? Really? The Sox gods offer you no forgiveness.