Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 01:27 PM)
Wow, thats a monster pick up for the Eagles.

Didn't Peters give up the 7th most sacks as a LT last year?

EDIT- actually, he was tied for giving up THE MOST sacks. Going by that number, that's too much to give up.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)

I've never believed in the individual stat for an OL giving up sacks. YOu given them up as a whole line. There are some instances on the guards, but I think it maybe a tad overrated.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
I've never believed in the individual stat for an OL giving up sacks. YOu given them up as a whole line. There are some instances on the guards, but I think it maybe a tad overrated.

In this case, the stat was right. Peters was a total weakness last year. But it may have been a motivation/holdout issue driving it.

If I'm the Bills I think that's a fine deal, I just now need to target LT with one of my first round picks.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 10:15 PM)
Damn. I could only imagine all the ass those guys get.

Actually, my friend met Cutler out at a bar last Saturday night and they exchanged phone numbers. I guess they were texting eachother all day on Sunday.

I told her to make sure he is memorizing the playbook and not to take any more of his bodily fluids than was necessary. :)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
Actually, my friend met Cutler out at a bar last Saturday night and they exchanged phone numbers. I guess they were texting eachother all day on Sunday.

I told her to make sure he is memorizing the playbook and not to take any more of his bodily fluids than was necessary. :)

lol good stuff. As long as he lives up to expectations, I don't care what he does with his body fluids.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)

EDIT- actually, he was tied for giving up THE MOST sacks. Going by that number, that's too much to give up.

I think they gave up too much for him, I just think it was a bold move for them. Peters was considered a top tier tackle not too long ago and didnt want to be in Buffalo anymore. If he turns out to be a mainstay on the line in Philly for years and plays at the level he is capable of its a solid pick up.

Edited by DrunkBomber

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 01:24 PM)
SportingNews

I'm fine with that move, as it now allows the Bills to look into a franchise LT with the #11 pick now, and they can go tight end and defensive end with 28 and 42 respectively.

Thats a steal for Buffalo. He made a lot of money and didn't perform. Plus with the 28th pick, I think if you draft right you get an olineman who doesn't have attitude and hold out issues at a lower financial price tag. That said, they might not be a probowler immediately, but Peters was far from a probowler last year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 17, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
Thats a steal for Buffalo. He made a lot of money and didn't perform. Plus with the 28th pick, I think if you draft right you get an olineman who doesn't have attitude and hold out issues at a lower financial price tag. That said, they might not be a probowler immediately, but Peters was far from a probowler last year.

If they plan on taking a LT in round 1 this year I would assume they go at it with the earlier of their firsts as the elite talent will be gone by the time pick 28 rolls around.

Elite LT talent I mean, there will still be good talent there at 28 for other areas

Edited by T R U

ESPN.com news services

The Jacksonville Jaguars are nearing a deal for free agent wide receiver Torry Holt, but it has not yet been finalized, sources tell ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Holt was released by the St. Louis Rams on March 13 shortly before he was due a $1.25 million roster bonus on the 17th.

Holt, a seven-time Pro Bowl selection, ranks 11th on the league's all-time reception list with 869 catches.

The 10-year veteran caught just 64 passes last year for 796 yards and three touchdowns, the fewest scoring catches of his career. His total receptions and total yards were the second-lowest of his career, ahead of only his rookie season of 1999.

The Jaguars are in need of a veteran receiver. The team released troubled receiver Matt Jones last month after he violated a plea agreement from an earlier drug charge. They also released Jerry Porter and didn't re-sign free agent Reggie Williams.

HOLT to the Jags.... now what?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)
anyone get as jacked about the draft every year as me? Cuz right now, I can't wait for it to start

couldn't agree more... don't care that the Bears don't have a 1st rd pick. I can't wait until it starts and I will probably watch it all day on saturday.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 04:44 PM)
couldn't agree more... don't care that the Bears don't have a 1st rd pick. I can't wait until it starts and I will probably watch it all day on saturday.

I have a pretty big obligation, but I'm going to watch as much of it as I can. I want to atleast stick around until atleast the Bills pick, and if I can, until Mark Sanchez goes. The Bills might pick after that, so it'll be win-win.

QUOTE (goblue5699 @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 08:36 PM)
I'm hoping Percy Harvin's extracurricular activities scares off a few teams and he falls to the Bears in the second round, but that's really wishful thinking.

I'd love him here. Everytime he touches the ball, he has the chance to take it for 6.

People say we don't need another Hester. I ask you- really? We don't need another guy with world class speed with ridiculous talent, right?

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 10:43 PM)
I'd love him here. Everytime he touches the ball, he has the chance to take it for 6.

People say we don't need another Hester. I ask you- really? We don't need another guy with world class speed with ridiculous talent, right?

In some sense, no, because the Bears need a legitimate wide receiver. Sure, it's cool to have that Hester or Harvin type guy, but if they can't run routes and have bad hands, then you are just ignoring a problem that still persists.

Hester has gotten better at that, but it's worth considering. Harvin came out of a spread offense, so he's going to be raw as is and might be limited to like 4th WR and returning this year, with the possibility of some wild cat thrown in.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 08:21 AM)
Hester has gotten better at that, but it's worth considering. Harvin came out of a spread offense, so he's going to be raw as is and might be limited to like 4th WR and returning this year, with the possibility of some wild cat thrown in.

Now that the Bears have Cutler, I don't know why you'd want to take the ball out of his hands.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 08:43 PM)

It's the "Too much of a good thing" effect. Yes, 2 speed burners is nice and can work, but it's not necessarily the best option. A QB, especially one with good footwork and scrambling ability, can benefit more from having a solid in-between option on the outside as well...someone that he can check down to when the protection breaks down. Now, I can't say for certain the Bears don't already have this, between their 2 TE's, Forte, and hell, throw in Wolfe while you're at it. If those guys can be solid "look to this guy 2nd-3rd" options, then the Bears can get by without the strictly possession receiver, but let's not pretend it can't be very useful.

Some examples I can give of that type of guy; in their super bowl playoff run, Steve Smith became exactly that kind of counterpoint to Plax, where Plax was able to stretch the defense, but every time the play got to 3rd down, it seemed the ball went to Smith for a first down. Hines Ward can be that kind of guy for the Steelers a lot; get those 8-10 yard catches, get a few YPC, and keep the chains moving. Wes Welker comes to mind. In Carolina, Moose playing next to Smith. Etc.

QUOTE (goblue5699 @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 08:36 PM)
I'm hoping Percy Harvin's extracurricular activities scares off a few teams and he falls to the Bears in the second round, but that's really wishful thinking.

Im still hoping that the SI covers of all the USC backers makes Little Animal slip down to the Bears.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 02:00 PM)
Tony Gonzalez traded to Falcons for a second rounder breaking news on the top of ESPN.com

Good pickup for them

Very smart move for the Falcons. Ryan will enjoy having that target the next two years.

I think Harvin would be bad for the Bears in the sense that they are still developing Hester into a WR. It's much harder to try and concentrate on two pretty raw WR's. If Hester was almost complete as a WR, I'd say the Bears should go after Harvin and have those two return kickoffs(I still don't get why Hester lost PR duties).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 23, 2009 -> 10:21 AM)
Im still hoping that the SI covers of all the USC backers makes Little Animal slip down to the Bears.

He was going to be falling down that way anyways