Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
Are you sure about that?

Im pretty sure I heard the draft starts at like 3 pm central time

I was just going to say this.

I don't get why the draft is starting so late, though, but it is.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
Are you sure about that?

Im pretty sure I heard the draft starts at like 3 pm central time

I read the wrong start time (Day 2 starts at 9am) Day 1 starts at 3pm, per wikipedia. So the Bears draft at about 10:10pm... good lord!

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 02:40 PM)
I read the wrong start time (Day 2 starts at 9am) Day 1 starts at 3pm, per wikipedia. So the Bears draft at about 10:10pm... good lord!

Yeah its horses***

The draft needs to start at 10am or noon at the latest. Especially if its going to take all f***in night.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
NFL = Popular

Draft = Popular

Prime-Time = More money (regardless of cable or broadcast)

NFL + Draft + Prime-Time = $$$$$$$$$$$$

Except its on a Saturday, so it doesn't need to be in prime time as most people will be able to watch whenever.

Add in the fact that starting it at noon still takes it into primetime anyways.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)
Except its on a Saturday, so it doesn't need to be in prime time as most people will be able to watch whenever.

I'm not saying it's logical, but I can almost guarantee that is why they did it. If it was 100% for the teams only, rounds 1 and 2 would be 15min and the draft would start at 10am. But it's not 100% about the teams. it about fans and views. Viewers dotn want to sit around for 15 minutes waiting for a pick and 3-5 hours for their team to draft.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 03:33 PM)
You shouldn't wish

Its beyond dumb to give away all your draft picks for players. Its even sillier to think that works.

You build your team through the draft, not trading picks. It hasn't worked out for Washington, it wont work out here either. I doubt the Bears are in those talks anyways.

And seeing that its going to take 3-4 hours to get to pick #25.. it could feel like an eternity before you get to see the Bears do something.

As much as I agree with building through the draft, if you can trade a second round pick for a dominating player who is still young, you do it. Lets see, we can rely on Angelo's inept ability to draft a WR, and have more guys like Bradley, or you can have a known commodity who fills a HUGE hole on your team and instantly makes you a super bowl contender, all while still having a lot of picks that Angelo excels at (later in the draft). To me, if you can do a Boldin for Second Round Pick, you do it.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
I'm not saying it's logical, but I can almost guarantee that is why they did it. If it was 100% for the teams only, rounds 1 and 2 would be 15min and the draft would start at 10am. But it's not 100% about the teams. it about fans and views. Viewers dotn want to sit around for 15 minutes waiting for a pick and 3-5 hours for their team to draft.

Viewers don't want to sit around for 10 minutes waiting for a pick and it is STILL going to take hours for some people to see their team pick (Like Me)

I get what you are trying to say, however, if it was all about the fans they would start it earlier so people aren't waiting till 10-11 pm to find out whats going on with their team.

Its a Saturday, start that sumb**** around Noon

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
As much as I agree with building through the draft, if you can trade a second round pick for a dominating player who is still young, you do it. Lets see, we can rely on Angelo's inept ability to draft a WR, and have more guys like Bradley, or you can have a known commodity who fills a HUGE hole on your team and instantly makes you a super bowl contender, all while still having a lot of picks that Angelo excels at (later in the draft). To me, if you can do a Boldin for Second Round Pick, you do it.

Bradley wasn't inept, just a product of mediocre offensive coaching along with some bad luck (although Bradley was kinda dumb with the playbook)

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 04:00 PM)
Bradley wasn't inept, just a product of mediocre offensive coaching along with some bad luck (although Bradley was kinda dumb with the playbook)

Well, I was calling Angelo's ability to draft good WRs inept, not him specifically, but I was calling him a bad player, as evidenced by his inability to do anything in the league. Yes, maybe coaching had something to do with it, but thats my point to, you get a fantastic player in Boldin and you just put him in the offense and watch him succeed, no coaching risk or questions aobut ability risk.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)

Plus if they did that, they'd want to start the 1st round in prime time and than just do all the remaining rounds on day 2. That would be the smart way to do it cause everyone tunes in for the first few picks but a lot of people zone in and out after that.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 07:19 PM)
Plus if they did that, they'd want to start the 1st round in prime time and than just do all the remaining rounds on day 2. That would be the smart way to do it cause everyone tunes in for the first few picks but a lot of people zone in and out after that.

Yeah

I think the fact that round 1 and 2 are done in one day and it takes all day they don't really care about putting it into prime time and trying to market it as some huge event that they intend to make big money from.

If that's what they wanted to do, it would be round 1 from like 5-10 on Saturday night with the rest of the draft an afterthought.

The draft is EXTREMELY boring when your team isn't picking. I will have it on for as long as I can, but I will be doing other stuff and just listening because I don't really give a s*** who Green Bay drafts. Oh Jacksonville doesn't want pick 8? Don't care. Get to Miami so I can either b**** at or celebrate the pick and then sit and wait till they pick again in round 2.

The draft isn't geared for large audiences to stay interested in it, and for the most part until your team picks or does something its not that great of an event. I would hate to be a Bears fan for the next two days because of how long you will have to sit there and watch nothing just waiting for that second round pick.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 09:19 PM)
Stafford signs for 6/41.7. All of it guaranteed.

IMO, that's cheap considering Ryan got $72 over 6 years with $32 or something guaranteed.

Mortensen also says Tyson Jackson to KC at #3 is pretty much a lock.

Finally the Lions do something right..

I also HOPE that Jackson is a lock for #3, push some more talent on back.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 10:25 PM)
Finally the Lions do something right..

I also HOPE that Jackson is a lock for #3, push some more talent on back.

How is drafting Stafford right? The Dolphins won 1 more game then Detroit last year, and they went into the draft and got a franchise LT and signed a veteran QB. The Lions should have done that.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 08:26 PM)
How is drafting Stafford right? The Dolphins won 1 more game then Detroit last year, and they went into the draft and got a franchise LT and signed a veteran QB. The Lions should have done that.

What veteran QB? Leftwich? Grossman? Losman? Culpepper? (Oh, wait.)

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 09:26 PM)

That's because the Dolphins liked Chad Henne, not Matt Ryan.

Also, just because Chad Pennington fell into their laps (Who is better than anyone Detroit would be able to scoop up before the season starts by a long shot) doesn't mean that EVERY team should follow that type of move.

They also have another first round pick which can be used on the best LT left or to help their defense. They took Cherilus last year, maybe the new staff are high on him or think he can get the job done. All I know is, there isn't another QB they can grab like Miami did and when you are making over your franchise, you need to find a QB.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
Actually I'll go the exact opposite. They string out the NFL Draft way too long. It needs to be cut down and teams don't need that much time in between picks, imo. I know they've already made some adjustments but as things drag out its pretty ridiculous that the first round takes as long as it does (than again, these franchises are making a big investment on these guys, however, with the months they have to do the homework I would think pretty much every team has lists to the extent that they know for the most part exactly who they are going to draft come draft day (although the ocassional surprise happens). So really the only reason you need time is for trades.

Oh I definitely agree that the time taken between picks on the first day (the draft goes at a much quicker pace on day 2) is ridiculous. Other than that? The draft > SB

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 09:43 PM)
Oh I definitely agree that the time taken between picks on the first day (the draft goes at a much quicker pace on day 2) is ridiculous. Other than that? The draft > SB

The draft is only > than the SB if no one you care about is playing in it.

Don't try to say you would rather watch the draft than a Bears Superbowl game.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 03:33 PM)
You shouldn't wish

Its beyond dumb to give away all your draft picks for players. Its even sillier to think that works.

You build your team through the draft, not trading picks. It hasn't worked out for Washington, it wont work out here either. I doubt the Bears are in those talks anyways.

And seeing that its going to take 3-4 hours to get to pick #25.. it could feel like an eternity before you get to see the Bears do something.

If the bears could get Boldin for the 49th overall pick... they have to do it. I agree that you build a team through the draft... but who would you rather have at 49? Hakeem Nicks or Anquan Boldin? Massaqoui? Robiskie? Iglesias? or Boldin?

I understand that Washington has tried and failed at that approach, but i think they went about it all the wrong way. I still think that when a an all-pro caliber player (in his prime) becomes available you have to give it serious thought.

If the Cards will take the 49th overall for Boldin... lock it in and watch the Bears light up the NFC.

**** Note -- I still think the Cards will get more than a 2nd for Boldin but you still gotta kick the tires and see if a deal could get done.