Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 12:32 AM)
If the bears could get Boldin for the 49th overall pick... they have to do it. I agree that you build a team through the draft... but who would you rather have at 49? Hakeem Nicks or Anquan Boldin? Massaqoui? Robiskie? Iglesias? or Boldin?

I understand that Washington has tried and failed at that approach, but i think they went about it all the wrong way. I still think that when a an all-pro caliber player (in his prime) becomes available you have to give it serious thought.

If the Cards will take the 49th overall for Boldin... lock it in and watch the Bears light up the NFC.

**** Note -- I still think the Cards will get more than a 2nd for Boldin but you still gotta kick the tires and see if a deal could get done.

I agree with all this. And I'm one that totally recognizes (and I probably overvalue them) how precious draft picks are in the NFL. But with Cutler aboard now, our priorities have changed considerably. If we can get a weapon like Boldin, who's only 28 and should have another 3-5 solid years left in him, you do it.

Edited by Jordan4life

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 11:53 PM)
I agree with all this. And I'm one that totally recognizes (and I probably overvalue them) how precious draft picks are in the NFL. But with Cutler aboard now, our priorities have changed considerably. If we can get a weapon like Boldin, who's only 28 and should have another 3-5 solid years left in him, you do it.

Unless they get the defense right it doesn't matter if you add Boldin and Fitzgerald, they prolly wont be winning anything.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 12:53 AM)

Generally, I understand the notion that you don't trade picks for players. If the Bears were offering a 2nd or 3rd Rd pick for Donald Driver, I would jump on the "don't do it bandwagon." However, when a guy like Boldin becomes available you have to re-consider that philosophy given the context.

(Presumably) the Bears would be trading 1/2 picks or a player off their roster for a proven PRO BOWL receiver. If you're going to tell me that you'd rather take a chance that maybe the 6th or 7th receiver taken in the draft will turn out to be better than Boldin... than I simply do not see where you are coming from.

There is a marked difference between what the Redskins have tried (Champ Bailey and a 2nd for Clinton Portis WTF?... signing Deion, Bruce Smith, Jason Taylor past their primes) and what the Bears could do -- add a 25 y/o franchise QB and potentially a 28 y/o x3 pro bowl WR at the cost of 5-6 draft picks.

Yes. The Bears will have to find ways to supplement their roster outside of the draft, but the level of talent they would add to the roster would be too good to pass up.

If Boldin can be had for 2nd and (Vasher, Corey Graham, Harrison, Anderson, or non-core player) than you do it.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 12:19 AM)
Generally, I understand the notion that you don't trade picks for players. If the Bears were offering a 2nd or 3rd Rd pick for Donald Driver, I would jump on the "don't do it bandwagon." However, when a guy like Boldin becomes available you have to re-consider that philosophy given the context.

(Presumably) the Bears would be trading 1/2 picks or a player off their roster for a proven PRO BOWL receiver. If you're going to tell me that you'd rather take a chance that maybe the 6th or 7th receiver taken in the draft will turn out to be better than Boldin... than I simply do not see where you are coming from.

There is a marked difference between what the Redskins have tried (Champ Bailey and a 2nd for Clinton Portis WTF?... signing Deion, Bruce Smith, Jason Taylor past their primes) and what the Bears could do -- add a 25 y/o franchise QB and potentially a 28 y/o x3 pro bowl WR at the cost of 5-6 draft picks.

Yes. The Bears will have to find ways to supplement their roster outside of the draft, but the level of talent they would add to the roster would be too good to pass up.

If Boldin can be had for 2nd and (Vasher, Corey Graham, Harrison, Anderson, or non-core player) than you do it.

I understand what you are trying to say, but for what its worth Boldin was a 2nd round draft pick himself.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 01:43 AM)
I understand what you are trying to say, but for what its worth Boldin was a 2nd round draft pick himself.

T. Calico -- no idea who this is

Taylor Jacobs -- out of the NFL?

Bethel Johnson -- out of the nfl?

Keary Colbert - ?

Darius Watts -- out of the NFL?

Devry Henderson -- inconsistent 2/3 receiver for NO

Vincent Jackson -- a beast for Rivers in SD

Terrence Murphy --?

Roscoe Parrish -- KR/PR

Mark Bradley -- couldn't develop him

Reggie Brown

Greg Jennings -- awesome

Sinorice Moss

C. Jackson

Dwayne Jarrett

Sidney Rice

Dexter Jackson

Limas Sweed

Malcolm Kelly --

Jerome Simpson -- ?

James Hardy -- ?

Eddie Royal -- 5-10 behind Brandon Marshall

Donnie Avery -- 5-11 speedster

This is a list of the 25 WRs drafted in the 2nd round since Anquan Boldin was drafted in 2003.

Besides Greg Jennings and Vincent Jackson -- 0 pro bowls combined -- who on this list would you qualify as a number 1 receiver? I can't find one.

Donnie Avery looked good at times, Eddie Royal was great as a rookie but they are both undersized and are probably 2nd options at best.

This isn't to say that the Bears couldn't find a good option in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on (berrian was a 3rd rounder) but Boldin is the real deal and they don't have to develop him to find out if he can be a number 1 option. He was a number one option in 2003 (B.F. before Fitzgerald) with Jeff Blake and Josh McCown throwing passes to him.

If the deal is Boldin for a 2nd round pick -- I make the deal

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 01:44 AM)
This is a list of the 25 WRs drafted in the 2nd round since Anquan Boldin was drafted in 2003.

Besides Greg Jennings and Vincent Jackson -- 0 pro bowls combined -- who on this list would you qualify as a number 1 receiver? I can't find one.

Donnie Avery looked good at times, Eddie Royal was great as a rookie but they are both undersized and are probably 2nd options at best.

This isn't to say that the Bears couldn't find a good option in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on (berrian was a 3rd rounder) but Boldin is the real deal and they don't have to develop him to find out if he can be a number 1 option. He was a number one option in 2003 (B.F. before Fitzgerald) with Jeff Blake and Josh McCown throwing passes to him.

If the deal is Boldin for a 2nd round pick -- I make the deal

I wasn't trying to say that you can easily grab a star receiver in the 2nd round, you just made it seem like you couldn't. You can find a good WR anywhere in the draft, that all depends on your scouting etc. and some luck. Its not just limited to the 2nd round.

Either way, I think it would be smarter for the Bears to keep that second round pick and work on their defense if they are going to get serious about making this team an elite threat.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 24, 2009 -> 07:05 PM)

Pretty interesting mock draft there. I really liked how the Yahoo! guy had the Bucs drafting LeSean McCoy in the second. That would be a great pick up since the Bucs dont even have a second round pick! haha. Guess that's why that writer is at Yahoo.

But anyways, as the resident Tampa Bay fan this is what I'd like to see tomorrow for us.

We have glaring holes up the middle on defense, ie DT. I'd also like to see the Bucs find a WR that can stretch the field. Here is my draft board for Tampa Bay in the first round:

1. DT Jerry from Ole Miss

2. WR Heyward-Bey from Maryland

3. OLB Matthews from USC

4. DT Hood from Missouri

5. WR Nicks from UNC--wouldnt like him at 19 but wouldnt mind if the Bucs were able to trade down a few spots to get him.

I really think the Bucs can find a quality DT in the third round if Jerry or Hood isnt their first round selection.

RIP Miami Hurricanes First Round Draft Streak.

1995-2008.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 07:59 AM)
http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

Bears getting Nicks in the second, thats what ive been wanting forever.

Nicks is built like Boldin and from what ive seen Nicks is going to be a good NFL player.

Nicks is the guy I want too. He's strong, physical and will go out and get the football. I think he has a chance to be one of those guys that isn't amazingly quick but finds ways to make plays. Much like TO and Boldin do. I don't know if he can or will but thats who I want. I'll get excited over almost any WR, but Nicks is the guy that excites me the most and otherwise I have no problem moving down and taking Mike Wallace later on purely because of his measurables.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 25, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)
I'm on the Nicks bandwagon as well. Head he put on weight though.

Brian Robiskie FTW!!!

I like Nicks, but I like Robiskie's size and background just a little bit more. However, Robiskie probably won't be there at 49.