Bulls To Let Ben Gordon Go?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me how many teams win titles with a 6-3 shooting guard that doesn't get to the rim all that well.

I like BG as instant offense off the bench. I like BG if the price is right. But I don't want the Bulls to tie up a ton of money in a guy who, in my opinion, is not going to bring an NBA title to Chicago as your starting SG.

Ben has already turned down great deals two straight years.

With those two refusals, they went out this year and covered their bases by getting Salmons and Miller. Taking on Miller meant eating up all the flexibility for next year.

The only possibility perhaps is saving some money by Jerome James' contract being insurance paid. And maybe a Hinrich trade can reduce year one payroll. Or someone else could go in a trade.

But it probably cant be reduced enough to avoid the luxury tax, which JR does not like paying. Maybe he'd agree to pay it for one year though if Ben signs at a discount. Not too many teams will have money to spend.

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 08:01 PM)
I think it would be one of the bigger mistakes in the history of our franchise. Unless they intend to open cap space for LeBron, theres no reason to let this guy go.

Bigger mistakes in the history of our franchise? We're talking about Ben Gordon here right? He has his big games, but i'm not ready to lock this guy up...especially after turning down 2 great deals.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 06:28 PM)
Ben has already turned down great deals two straight years.

But it probably cant be reduced enough to avoid the luxury tax, which JR does not like paying. Maybe he'd agree to pay it for one year though if Ben signs at a discount. Not too many teams will have money to spend.

There are a whole lot of names on the market this offseason and virtually no one who's actually looking to spend $. BG is going to have lost a ton of money by not having signed 2 years ago.

He's not asking for Kobe money.

And he turned down one lowball offer at 6 years, 45 million, and he accepted an offer last summer for 6 years for 56 million, but was told the offer was pulled. The reason he didn't originally accept was because he was pissed about the Luol Deng situation in which was the same as his, but was given a high offer from the Bulls and they told Mr. Gordon to find his own deal before they give him an offer.

Obviously, you can see what a bad move that was. If anything, they should've just split the offers down the middle, and if they rejected it, then both should've had to find their own offers.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 08:48 PM)
He's not asking for Kobe money.

And he turned down one lowball offer at 6 years, 45 million, and he accepted an offer last summer for 6 years for 56 million, but was told the offer was pulled. The reason he didn't originally accept was because he was pissed about the Luol Deng situation in which was the same as his, but was given a high offer from the Bulls and they told Mr. Gordon to find his own deal before they give him an offer.

Obviously, you can see what a bad move that was. If anything, they should've just split the offers down the middle, and if they rejected it, then both should've had to find their own offers.

Ben is going to be in for a rude awakening if he is planning on a huge money deal this off-season. We're going to see what we in MLB outside of the Yankees, where you got guys waiting for the big deal that never comes.

I'm not going to argue with you guys, because I know I am in the minority here, but I agree with the OP. Not many Bull fans appreciate him for what he is worth. All you need to do is browse other team forums to see the praise BG gets. My prediction is he will sign with Toronto, and THEN he will get the respect he deserves from Chicago fans. It will be a bittersweet moment in my eyes, happy for Ben, sad for the organization.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 09:36 PM)
They were saying on CTL that they believe he is asking for Kobe money.....

stop buying into the garbage Chicago media train. Suntimes, Trib,WGN, Comcast etc That's where all the BG hate started. It will be refreshing when I see people start thinking on their own rather than buying into all these media opinions.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 09:07 PM)
Tell me how many teams win titles with a 6-3 shooting guard that doesn't get to the rim all that well.

I like BG as instant offense off the bench. I like BG if the price is right. But I don't want the Bulls to tie up a ton of money in a guy who, in my opinion, is not going to bring an NBA title to Chicago as your starting SG.

AI would have had a great chance in 2001 if he had Drose in his prime next to him.

Gordon being 6'3? That's what they say. I've been at a Bulls game by the tunnel and he's my height and I'm 6'0.

But anyways. Ben really doesn't do anything except shoot. He's a fantastic scorer. But he doesn't play defense, give an attempt to rebound, or help other teammates score by finding an open man.

I'd love to keep him. But didn't he turn down a 5-55 deal? If he wants more then that, peace out.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 10:02 PM)
Gordon being 6'3? That's what they say. I've been at a Bulls game by the tunnel and he's my height and I'm 6'0.

But anyways. Ben really doesn't do anything except shoot. He's a fantastic scorer. But he doesn't play defense, give an attempt to rebound, or help other teammates score by finding an open man.

I'd love to keep him. But didn't he turn down a 5-55 deal? If he wants more then that, peace out.

He plays pretty damn good defense nowadays. The only guy who constantly beasts him is really only Kobe Bryant.

I'm all for re-signing him. I'm with rangercal on this one, his scoring would be hard to replace. He's still bad on defense, but he's definitely improved from the horrific defense we saw in past seasons. If he learned how to work around screens better, I'd say he'd be a slightly above average defender.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 11:09 PM)
He plays pretty damn good defense nowadays. The only guy who constantly beasts him is really only Kobe Bryant.

No. He's still bad defensively, doesn't know how to work around screens, and gets lazy on defense too often. But like I said, he's improved leaps and bounds the past few seasons.

I'm not too worried about seeing him go. In fact, I welcome the Bulls to draft Tyreke Evans who if he develops properly will be Gordon with a bit more driving ability and some better athleticism, but maybe not the same shooting ability.

Gordon will never be a key piece on a championship team his style is too hot/cold.

QUOTE (FedEx227 @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 11:55 PM)
I'm not too worried about seeing him go. In fact, I welcome the Bulls to draft Tyreke Evans who if he develops properly will be Gordon with a bit more driving ability and some better athleticism, but maybe not the same shooting ability.

Gordon will never be a key piece on a championship team his style is too hot/cold.

I'd shoot Paxson if he drafted Evans. If we're going to draft a guard in the 1st round, give me Gerald Henderson or Wayne Ellington. Or if you want pure scoring and size isn't an issue, Steph Curry or Eric Maynor. I don't want Tyreke Evans anywhere near Derrick Rose.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Apr 21, 2009 -> 10:02 PM)

Same, I ran into him at the Kanye concert last summer & I was slightly taller than he was & i'm 6'2.

Rangercal, I don't think anyone underestimates Gordon's importance to the team. He's just not worth BIG money. Until he can create his own shot & chill out on the overdribbling...i'm not overpaying him anything. I really think the Bulls can find a cheaper option.

I think competing to keep Ben Gordon on this open market would be a travesty. You can't pay one-dimensional players that type of money. If he were 6-6, we'd be onto something, but he's barely 6-2 in reality.

Yes, he can score. However, I don't want to be stuck with the guy for 5 years at a ridiculous rate just because he hit some 3s in a playoff game.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 22, 2009 -> 12:05 AM)
I'd shoot Paxson if he drafted Evans. If we're going to draft a guard in the 1st round, give me Gerald Henderson or Wayne Ellington. Or if you want pure scoring and size isn't an issue, Steph Curry or Eric Maynor. I don't want Tyreke Evans anywhere near Derrick Rose.

See, here's the problem. The Bulls aren't the only team that pick in this year's draft.

Also they don't have a pick till 16, when Henderson and Ellington will both be gone.

And no Steph Curry for me, he's a college 6'1, which will likely "magically" transform to 5'9 once he gets to Pre-Draft camps. He'll be a marginally better version of JJ Reddick at the next level. Pass.