Books Thread

BobDylan

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last few years, I've read more non-fiction than fiction. Anyone else read any substantial amount of non-fiction, particularly history-related books?

--

Here's a seperate question. Name an author who you like that you'd call a guilty pleasure. Something you know is not great literature, but you just enjoy it anyway.

I'll throw one out there: Tony Hillerman

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
Last few years, I've read more non-fiction than fiction. Anyone else read any substantial amount of non-fiction, particularly history-related books?

No, but I know people who do if you're looking for recommendations.

I recently finished a book on the first transition of power from one political party to another (Adams to Jefferson). Good read but I can't recall the title. I'll check when I get home.

EDIT: I can drop it in my mailbox if you want to pick it up. I know you live in the area.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)

--

Here's a seperate question. Name an author who you like that you'd call a guilty pleasure. Something you know is not great literature, but you just enjoy it anyway.

Currently rereading Beer: A History of Suds and Civilization From Mesopotamia to Microbreweries by Gregg Smith. I had to Travel to Philly the other week and there is so much colonial and Industrial Age brewing history there that I pulled of off the shelf to read while sipping hand-blended Cantillon gueuze lambic at Monk's cafe which is officially the best beer bar I've ever been to.

I've learned that the best way for me to enjoy history books is if they involve a good bit of drinking history! The book on my birthday wish list is called Rum: The Epic Story of the Drink That Conquered the World by Charles Coulombe.

My guilty pleasure for a long time was any and all vampire novels, particularly the Anne Rice vampire books, but she eventually wore me down with the offshoot book from the main Chronicles line.

I'll throw out another question. What was the last book you read? And what'd you think?

The last one I read was The Trial by Franz Kafka. It's not the first time I've read it, but it's one I've always enjoyed (that's not the right word for a story like this, but whatever). It's an unfinished novel, but there is more than enough inside it to gain an understanding. It starts with a man, a bank teller, being arrested at his home, but they won't tell him why. Eventually, they leave, and he is left at home. Then it gets bizarre. If you've read any Kafka, I'm sure you know how it ends, and you've probably, in fact, read it already.

It is not an encouraging story. It is very dark, but is actually pretty funny in absurd ways. Anyone into existentialism, this story is a must read.

trial-fk.jpg

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2009 -> 08:44 AM)

I'm always slightly embarrassed when somebody catches me reading Stephen King. I don't know why, there really is no reason to be.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 20, 2009 -> 09:10 AM)
Currently rereading Beer: A History of Suds and Civilization From Mesopotamia to Microbreweries by Gregg Smith. I had to Travel to Philly the other week and there is so much colonial and Industrial Age brewing history there that I pulled of off the shelf to read while sipping hand-blended Cantillon gueuze lambic at Monk's cafe which is officially the best beer bar I've ever been to.

I haven't read it, but you might enjoy B is for Beer. Tom Robbins is pretty fun.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ May 20, 2009 -> 10:15 AM)
I'm always slightly embarrassed when somebody catches me reading Stephen King. I don't know why, there really is no reason to be.

I have read some King stuff that I liked.

I've noticed this in books and music... there is this weird phenomenon where if you are reading a popular author or listening to a popular piece of music, that people who read or listen a lot look down their nose at you. Like, oh, that is so passe. Well, guess what? Some authors get popular because they are good. I don't feel embarrased reading Stephen King. I used to be a big Tom Clancy fan too, before he went off the deep end and his books fell apart (everything up through The Sum of All Fears was pretty damn good). I ALSO read obscure stuff. Neither should result in feeling guilty.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ May 20, 2009 -> 11:18 AM)
I haven't read it, but you might enjoy B is for Beer. Tom Robbins is pretty fun.

I do like Tom Robbins. I've also liked some of the recent forays "adult authors" have made into young reader territory, including Hiaasen and especially Neil Gaiman with The Graveyard Book.

My kids would probably enjoy that, and I'd probably get them kicked out of school for bringing the book to class. :lolhitting

--

A great book is: Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond.

I'ts an historal and cultural persprective on why culture and civilizations developed the way they have on different continents.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)

Yes, a lot. I just finished reading a book called "The Crusades: Islam and Christianity in the Struggle for World Supremacy" by Geoffrey Hindley and a couple months ago read "1066: The Hidden History in the Bayeux Tapestry". The one about the crusades was kinda hard reading. Didn't love Hindley's writing style as I felt I spent too much time trying to decipher what I just read rather than remembering what I just read (if that makes any sense). The one about the Bayeux tapestry was very interesting. It gives some background on it and also proposes an alternate theory for it's creation.

I have a lot of historical non-fictions, the majority are of medieval Europe (mostly England) or ancient Egypt. I have not read the majority, I just have a bad habit of going into Barnes and Noble and leaving with two or three books every time I'm there.

As for fiction, I just finished Steve Berry's "The Third Secret" last night. It was meh. It's one of his older ones. I generally like him and love his books with Cotton Malone as the protagonist. This book was pre-Cotton Malone and it took too long for me to get into it and it just wasn't as exciting IMO as his latest works.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 20, 2009 -> 10:56 AM)
Yes, a lot. I just finished reading a book called "The Crusades: Islam and Christianity in the Struggle for World Supremacy" by Geoffrey Hindley and a couple months ago read "1066: The Hidden History in the Bayeux Tapestry". The one about the crusades was kinda hard reading. Didn't love Hindley's writing style as I felt I spent too much time trying to decipher what I just read rather than remembering what I just read (if that makes any sense). The one about the Bayeux tapestry was very interesting. It gives some background on it and also proposes an alternate theory for it's creation.

I have a lot of historical non-fictions, the majority are of medieval Europe (mostly England) or ancient Egypt. I have not read the majority, I just have a bad habit of going into Barnes and Noble and leaving with two or three books every time I'm there.

As for fiction, I just finished Steve Berry's "The Third Secret" last night. It was meh. It's one of his older ones. I generally like him and love his books with Cotton Malone as the protagonist. This book was pre-Cotton Malone and it took too long for me to get into it and it just wasn't as exciting IMO as his latest works.

Good writer and a very good series.

I just finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. I have to say I wasn't real impressed with it. I'm also reading "I am Legend". It's kinda interesting reading these two together because they are both post-apocalyptic stories.

My parents just got two boxes full of books for free and asked me if I wanted any of them. I picked up a couple by Michael Crichton simply because I recognized his name. Don't remember the titles though.

I'm a huge Stephen King fan and have read all his books. I've also got a handful of books from Dean Koontz (who I've heard many people compare to SK) but I haven't really found any by him that I really like.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 20, 2009 -> 10:43 AM)
A great book is: Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond.

I'ts an historal and cultural persprective on why culture and civilizations developed the way they have on different continents.

That's a good one, read it a few years back.

I think I've pimped it here before, but if you want a historical book that reads as interesting as fiction, and is among the best I've seen at painting a picture of how the American persona was built... Blood and Thunder, by Hampton Sides.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 20, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
I just finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. I have to say I wasn't real impressed with it. I'm also reading "I am Legend". It's kinda interesting reading these two together because they are both post-apocalyptic stories.

My parents just got two boxes full of books for free and asked me if I wanted any of them. I picked up a couple by Michael Crichton simply because I recognized his name. Don't remember the titles though.

I'm a huge Stephen King fan and have read all his books. I've also got a handful of books from Dean Koontz (who I've heard many people compare to SK) but I haven't really found any by him that I really like.

Some of Chrichton's earlier stuff, particularly some short stories like Sphere, were good reads. After a while though, he was just writing books that were clearly meant to become screenplays. Characters shallowed out, everything was too clipped and over-reaching for poignant.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2009 -> 11:31 AM)
Some of Chrichton's earlier stuff, particularly some short stories like Sphere, were good reads. After a while though, he was just writing books that were clearly meant to become screenplays. Characters shallowed out, everything was too clipped and over-reaching for poignant.

Crichton jumped the shark with Congo. Oh my lord was that a bad movie. After seeing it, I swore off reading the book, which i am told is a good book.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
That's a good one, read it a few years back.

I think I've pimped it here before, but if you want a historical book that reads as interesting as fiction, and is among the best I've seen at painting a picture of how the American persona was built... Blood and Thunder, by Hampton Sides.

I've read it. I'ts good as well.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 20, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)
Crichton jumped the shark with Congo. Oh my lord was that a bad movie. After seeing it, I swore off reading the book, which i am told is a good book.

The book, which is short, is pretty good. Not great, but entertaining.

Actually, the book Jurassic Park was a decent read, far better than the movie.