"He's Next"

Marty34

QUOTE (beck72 @ May 24, 2009 -> 09:52 AM)
I certainly wouldn't want to give up much for DeRosa. But if the price was doable, why not.

I'm just having a hard time seeing who'd be at 3b for the rest of 2009, who could help fix the sox problems with avg. and OBP besides Beckham--who IIRC, hadn't played 3b before recently. As much as I like Gordon, playing 3b would be tough for him let alone trying to adjust to major league pitching.

The only choice we realistically have is a Nix/Betemit platoon.

There's really no other option, except for moving Getz from 2B to 3B (he could play there, and has experience) and putting Beckham at 2B or moving Ramirez off that position and leaving Beckham at SS.

I agree that Beckham playing 3rd in the majors is much less desired than him staying at SS or playing 2B.

Beckham has a better arm to play 3rd, but if you had to choose, I guess you'd rather take a chance for this season moving Getz there than trying Gordon at a completely foreign position to him.

Plus, Gordo played quite a bit of 2B in spring training, specifically, with Alexei.

QUOTE (beck72 @ May 24, 2009 -> 01:53 PM)
It's pretty clear that Fields can't keep hitting the way he is and start for the sox. The question then becomes "who's next to play 3b"?

Betemit's Uribe without the power or glove. .

That would mean he is fat?

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ May 24, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)
That would mean he is fat?

And that he stole Uribe's/Jenks' blonde goatee dye?

Betemit, as fathom has pointed out over and over again, would be fine against RHP. He has an OPS line of around 800 in that situation.

Just don't play him as a RH bat against lefties, which Ozzie has seemingly done more often than the reverse this season.

I will say this...I think Juan Uribe might have been the favorite person on the team (along with Crede, too) that we jettisoned. Buehrle even offered $1 million to JR/KW to keep him on the team, he's that loved in the clubhouse.

Betemit, so far, hasn't been a good fit at all for this team. Would love to have a healthy Pablo Ozuna from 04/05 back, but that train left the station a long time ago. A Craig Grebeck/Paco Martin type of player.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 24, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)

Betemit, as fathom has pointed out over and over again, would be fine against RHP. He has an OPS line of around 800 in that situation.

Just don't play him as a RH bat against lefties, which Ozzie has seemingly done more often than the reverse this season.

I will say this...I think Juan Uribe might have been the favorite person on the team (along with Crede, too) that we jettisoned. Buehrle even offered $1 million to JR/KW to keep him on the team, he's that loved in the clubhouse.

Betemit, so far, hasn't been a good fit at all for this team. Would love to have a healthy Pablo Ozuna from 04/05 back, but that train left the station a long time ago. A Craig Grebeck/Paco Martin type of player.

At this point I think a Betemit for Uribe + low-level spect is a great deal for both teams. The Sox could use some IF versatility and the Giants could plug in Betemit and let him play. Betemit is a luxury if he's only a PH.

The worry there would of course be that Ozzie would play Uribe over his youngsters instead of continuing to let them develop, and we need to see what we have out of these young guys because our future depends on it. We don't want to be forced to sell off good players at low value because that makes it harder for us to improve the pitching staff, and we don't want to be forced to thrust Viciedo for instance into a role that he cannot handle simply because we wouldn't give Fields a long enough leash to prove he can hit in the Majors.

If it were me, I'd bring Uribe in but use him as a rest guy. Let him sub around the IF when someone gets hurt or needs a rest, and use him as a PH in a situation where you want some power and aggressiveness up there. Otherwise, he's there to sit on the bench and threaten people. Maybe he can threaten Josh Fields into good performance.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 24, 2009 -> 07:39 AM)
Last time I popped off about Fields' ineptness he came through, so I will do it again. 1 extra base hit in his last 88 AB. 0 in his last 47. As far as DeRosa, I can't see the Sox and Cleveland making a trade. I think the next guy you see at 3rd is Beckham.

:lolhitting: looks like he came through with an rbi single today. :)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 24, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)

Didn't Uribe try to kill Bailey (Buehrle) once? Haha.