Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

Kurkjian on Mike and Mike:

Says it probably isn't going to happen with the Sox though it makes sense. He seems to think the Pads will wait a little longer. Frankly he seemed to have no real thoughts.

BTW: Why would a player meet with a manager to discuss a trade? Shouldn't he meet with the GM?

Edited by G&T

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is, do we really want Peavy? His career ERA is 3.80 away from Petco. Now he comes into a better league in a hitter's park. Can we say regression? I know Peavy's a good pitcher and he would probably be our best pitcher if we got him, but damn, he pitched in the WBC in 06 and sucked that year and he's coming off the WBC this year as well and he's also not pitching too well other than his last start against the Reds.

I honestly don't see a Jake Peavy in both Richard and Poreda. I think those guys make sense. They're expendable. If this deal doesn't involve Beckham or Alexei, I'm fine with it. I also don't like the idea of getting rid of Dye since this offesne already sucks. The thing with this deal is, I don't see the Sox winning the division even with Peavy. Not with Gavin Floyd pitching the way he has been.

from yahoo team report on padres:

Jake Peavy(notes) to the Chicago White Sox for four prospects? It could happen, possibly as soon as Thursday. According to a source, all that needs to happen for the trigger to be pulled is for Peavy to OK the trade.

Peavy has a no-trade clause in his contract. He would have to agree to any deal and reportedly has until Thursday morning to say “go” or “stay” to a trade to the White Sox.

Peavy is owed approximately $60 million through the end of the 2012 season—an amount the cash- and talent-strapped Padres would surely exchange for four good prospects.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:11 AM)
Thing is, do we really want Peavy? His career ERA is 3.80 away from Petco. Now he comes into a better league in a hitter's park. Can we say regression? I know Peavy's a good pitcher and he would probably be our best pitcher if we got him, but damn, he pitched in the WBC in 06 and sucked that year and he's coming off the WBC this year as well and he's also not pitching too well other than his last start against the Reds.

I honestly don't see a Jake Peavy in both Richard and Poreda. I think those guys make sense. They're expendable. If this deal doesn't involve Beckham or Alexei, I'm fine with it. I also don't like the idea of getting rid of Dye since this offesne already sucks. The thing with this deal is, I don't see the Sox winning the division even with Peavy. Not with Gavin Floyd pitching the way he has been.

Peavy affords the Sox time to get Floyd straightened out, especially if Contreras can figure things out.

I dont know why you are so hesitant to put a pitcher of this caliber on the starting 5

I will say a deal like this makes sense in one aspect... Hawk has been hyping the s*** out of minor leaguers. It doesn't surprise me that he would be trying to build major league value in them. I thought it was just in case the Sox stunk and started next year with many of the players on the roster. It would make sense that he is doing the old Yankees/Cubs prospect PR hype to increase their value trick.

The guy has had arm trouble and is owed a s*** ton of money and is having a really bad year. Pitching in a launching pad like the cell as opposed to the giannt crater that is Pet Co would make his numbers even worse. The guy would be smacked around in the AL. They aren't getting 06 Peavy. Horrible move if they make it.

This would put the talk about JR never taking pitchers (even though this wouldn't be a FA deal) for 4+ years and being "cheap" to bed for quite awhile. Remember how much of a fight there was in the FO about whether to give Buehrle a contract of that length, and he was one of our homegrown World Series heroes and the most popular player on the club to many. FWIW, Mark isn't the type of guy to complain if another pitcher was brought into the fold at a higher salary.

It would definitely energize and motivate the fanbase, not unlike the trades for Contreras and especially Garcia in 2004.

It also would put us over a financial barrel if anything went wrong with Peavy, either injury or non-performance...KW's financial flexility, which was one of the selling points of shedding salary of veterans over the next 3 years, would be reduced substantially.

Note to KW...it would have been nice to do this before we let the Tigers get out to a lead, but of course it's not too late. One wonders if KW and Towers spoke at all about this option before the season started. If we had added Peavy then, we wouldn't have heard quite so much about the 11% season ticket price increase.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (POPPY_HIDALGO @ May 21, 2009 -> 07:45 AM)
The guy has had arm trouble and is owed a s*** ton of money and is having a really bad year. Pitching in a launching pad like the cell as opposed to the giannt crater that is Pet Co would make his numbers even worse. The guy would be smacked around in the AL. They aren't getting 06 Peavy. Horrible move if they make it.

I wish my really bad year consisted of a 3.82 ERA while leading the NL in strikeouts.

Well, they would have to do extensive medical examinations to avoid another Sirotka situation, but that's S.O.P. It wouldn't hurt to have Dr. Andrews look at him, either.

The two WBC's are worth taking into consideration, as well.

But it would definitely be a shot across the bow against the Cubs, who certainly aren't looking like sure things anymore in the NL Central.

Well, I asked for an "ace" and wondered where it was going to come from...so if KW pulls this off, we can't say he isn't trying hard or is just bagging this year or waiting to completely rebuild in 2010...unless he brought him in with the idea he was going to "flip" him to another organization and get prospects he liked even better than Poreda, like Fernando Martinez, someone of that ilk.

Can a player waive a NTC twice within the span of one calendar year?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:52 AM)
Well, they would have to do extensive medical examinations to avoid another Sirotka situation, but that's S.O.P. It wouldn't hurt to have Dr. Andrews look at him, either.

The two WBC's are worth taking into consideration, as well.

But it would definitely be a shot across the bow against the Cubs, who certainly aren't looking like sure things anymore in the NL Central.

This has nothing to do with the Cubs.

So if this deal were to be pulled off, we'd be looking at a rotation compiled of Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Colon (?), and Peavy? Not too bad, provided they all performed like they can. Danks' performance last night was encouraging.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:01 AM)
If this deal happens, you can bet your money the Cubs are going to be all over the papers for missing out

Exactly. Although it's true that the deal has nothing to do with the Cubs, it will have EVERYTHING to do with the Cubs in the media.

FWIW, who are the available FA SP's this off-season.

Because the Sox are probably going to have to sign someone there, otherwise you could have both Poreda and Richard starting in the rotation from next season.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:01 AM)
If this deal happens, you can bet your money the Cubs are going to be all over the papers for missing out

That's fine, but the Sox are not making this deal as a "shot across the bow" of the Cubs.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:48 PM)
I wish my really bad year consisted of a 3.82 ERA while leading the NL in strikeouts.

Bring that over to the AL and see how it pans out. The AL is far superior...

Let's just hope they don't give up too much for a guy that can't save a season all by himself.

from mlb.com and comments from towers

It appears a team from Chicago -- no, not the Cubs -- might be making a play for Padres pitcher Jake Peavy.

According to a baseball source late Wednesday, a potential trade between the Padres and White Sox was being explored.

San Diego general manager Kevin Towers didn't return a message on Tuesday and Peavy himself, when asked about the rumor of a potential deal said "I only know what you guys [media] knows."

Peavy, who has a no-trade clause, has stated before that his intention is to remain in San Diego and, at the very least, the National League.

Another potential stumbling block is the remaining money left on the contract Peavy signed in December of 2007.

Peavy, who is making $11 million this season, will make $15 million in 2010, $16 million in 2011 and $17 million in 2012. The Padres hold a team option for $22 million with a $4 million buyout.

Peavy was nearly traded in the off-season to the Cubs, who pulled the plug on a potential deal at the Winter Meetings in December. The Padres were actively shopping Peavy because they were trying to shed payroll to get close to the $40 million majority owner John Moores sought.

The Padres, should they make a deal for the 2007 National League Cy Young Award winner, would certainly want some pitching in return. Left-hander Aaron Poreda, a first-round Draft pick in 2007, would be the kind of frontline starter the Padres would desire.

Peavy is 3-5 with a 3.82 ERA this season and is coming off a complete-game victory over the Reds on Sunday where he allowed one run with eight strikeouts and no walks. He threw a career-high 92 strikes in that game (against 29 balls).

Peavy has an 89-67 record with a 3.21 ERA in 208 career starts, all with the Padres.

-- Corey Brock