Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:29 AM)
The Score is indeed reporting the deal is done pending Peavy approval, no mention of players at all.

It makes sense. The division is crap and we have played our worst baseball. Kenny smells blood and thinks he can win this division again. In a short series. Peavy, Danks, and Buerhle is deadly.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is true, and I still have my doubts, its the type of move KW should have been looking at months ago instead of going cheap. I thought they were at their payroll limit. If there is any truth to this rumor, it does show you they BS about that. Of course the Hunter and Fukudome pursuits are more proof of that.

A couple of other things, maybe Floyd is in the deal. The Sox would not be getting SD to pay part of Peavy's contract because financial relief is the reason SD is trading him.

Interesting that Peavy supposedly has reservations about playing for Ozzie. There have been a few names that have rejected trades to the White Sox. Delgado, Edmonds...the only guy I know who rejected going to the Cubs is Palmiero, which probably was a big mistake by him. He may have avoided his positive test or it could have been more awesome for us if he tested positive as a Cub.

If this is true, it would be KW's finest hour IMO. Pitching wins. This just reminds me of the Soriano rumor in 2006. Probably not as much to it as has been reported.

Edited by Dick Allen

Half of the Cubs talks for Padres didn't even involve their best prospect Josh Vitters, and instead focused on marginal/above average pitchers like Kevin Hart, and Sean Marshall. This could be the direction the package is going in.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:33 AM)
This just reminds me of the Soriano rumor in 2006. Probably not as much to it as has been reported.

My thoughts exactly. Kenny's big moves usually come in under the radar.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:32 AM)
I don't know why he would want to stay in San Diego. Yeah the weather is nice, but the team is gonna be awful for years.

He either stays in SD or the Padres can trade him to a place he finds more desirable. I don't know what's wrong with Chicago in the summer. He doesn't want to go to the AL, but if the White Sox decide to become bullies, they can dominate the AL Central for years.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:39 AM)
As long as the PTBNL's are not any of Beckham, Danks, Flowers, Allen, Viciedo, Carter or Hudson i'm completely fine with it.

The last 2 I could live with.

I'd say the Pads would want all of the good young pitching they could get with this deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:29 AM)
The Score is indeed reporting the deal is done pending Peavy approval, no mention of players at all.

The Score tends to be wrong a lot, but if its true, wow, everytime people start doubting KW and getting upset with him, he starts pulling moves like these.

Within the clubhouse, though, Peavy referred to the situation as “something to think about” yet also restated his desire to stay in the National League. One of Peavy's teammates said he believes Peavy respects the Sox's aggressiveness in pushing for him but may have reservations about pitching for Ozzie Guillen, the White Sox's volatile manager.

I think this deal would be made with the long term in mind. Giles would be a placeholder in RF for the season and bat lead off. Peavy would solidify the top of the starting rotation with Buerhle and Danks and mean that we only are relying on the minors for one starter next season from Marquez, Hudson, and whomever else. I can see KW signing Abreu in the offseason to fill the gap in RF when Giles moves on/retires.

So the deal sounds like Dye, Poreda, Richard, and Getz? Peavy and Giles ??

QUOTE (WSoxMatt @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:44 AM)
Within the clubhouse, though, Peavy referred to the situation as “something to think about” yet also restated his desire to stay in the National League. One of Peavy's teammates said he believes Peavy respects the Sox's aggressiveness in pushing for him but may have reservations about pitching for Ozzie Guillen, the White Sox's volatile manager.

A phone call from Scott Linebrink should clear that up.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:42 AM)
The last 2 I could live with.

I'd say the Pads would want all of the good young pitching they could get with this deal.

On their own I'd agree, but giving up one of them in combination with Richard and Poreda is a bit much IMO.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:45 AM)
I think this deal would be made with the long term in mind. Giles would be a placeholder in RF for the season and bat lead off. Peavy would solidify the top of the starting rotation with Buerhle and Danks and mean that we only are relying on the minors for one starter next season from Marquez, Hudson, and whomever else. I can see KW signing Abreu in the offseason to fill the gap in RF when Giles moves on/retires.

So the deal sounds like Dye, Poreda, Richard, and Getz? Peavy and Giles ??

That sounds awful to me...

QUOTE (beautox @ May 21, 2009 -> 08:44 AM)
So long as Gordon, Jordan, Tyler and Brandon aren't mentioned ill be happy.

Wow, this thread is growing exponentially. As soon as I read a page another pops up. Anyway, although I'm not very well versed in our minors, from what I've read from the more knowledgable folks here I would agree that Beckham, Danks, and/or Flowers cannot be part of this deal. It's not worth it.

QUOTE (Maverick0984 @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:46 AM)
That sounds awful to me...

I actually think that's fair. Giles is just now starting to hit, and his numbers will experience some severe inflation in the Cell. Best case scenario for Poreda and Richard's combined numbers could be Peavy, and Getz remains something of an enigma.

Edited by Thunderbolt