Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

At the end of the day the team needs to part with a ton of salary AND talent. The Brewers were offering CC this money. Now they are offering this money and top level talent. There are very few teams that can join in this conversation. There is a part of me that thinks the framework for this deal was laid this past offseason or the thought of it.

Should this deal get pulled off, the Swisher and Vazquez deals are what made it happen.

I could also see the Sox trying to put Giles in center and lead-off or grab Eckstein in the deal.

Edited by Jenks Heat

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:08 AM)
When this trade falls through, will KW be willing to pick up salary elsewhere? He obviously isn't at his limit.

I'm not going to go through 18 pages so if this has been said, I apologize.

Whether Peavy decides to come to the Sox or not, this is HUGE for Kenny and for the team. This shows the team that they want to win, they want to win now and that pitching wins championships. This shows the fans that a lead-off hitter and center fielder, while important, isn't a turning point. This shows the players that he believes in them turning this s*** around. It's a nice kick in the pants, hopefully the Sox...from the highest paid to the lowest paid get the message.

This is why I think Kenny is one of the best GMs in baseball.

Plus, it's a fantastic shot in the guts to the Cubs. Suckers.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:20 AM)
At the end of hteday the team needs to part wit ha ton of salary AND talent. The Brewers were offering CCthis money. Now they are offering this money and top level talent. There are bery few teamsthat can join in this conversation. There is a part of me that thinks the framework for this deal was laid this past offseason or the thought of it.

Should this deal get pulled off, the Swisher and Vazquez dealsare what made it happen.

I could also see the Sox trying to put Giles in center and lead-off or grab Eckstein in the deal.

You drunk?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2009 -> 02:18 PM)
Who are these "people" that these players have that are feeding lines to the media. And why is Peavy so scared to pitch in the AL? PLenty of good arms throw in the AL, you dont think you are one of them?

+1

I just know he is going to be a little b**** and "prefer to stay in the NL"

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
It was said Eck and Getz may swap teams here to we can lead off with Eck.

While i'm impressed with Eckstein's ability to pull the ball seemingly no matter where it's thrown, the fact is that if Getz is gone and Nix is not starting, someone deserves to be fired.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:22 AM)
Peavy has a career line of .178/.219/.234. But his last two years have actually been much better, and even decent for a pitcher:

07: .233/.250/.315

08: .265/.302/.306

So...he'll lead off for us? I bet he's fast and grindy :lolhitting

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:18 AM)
Who are these "people" that these players have that are feeding lines to the media. And why is Peavy so scared to pitch in the AL? PLenty of good arms throw in the AL, you dont think you are one of them?

That's what I don't understand. If he's willing to play for the Cubs or Brewers, why would he even have to think about the White Sox. It makes you wonder if he truely is an "ace". If he says yes, its KW's best trade IMO. If he says no, good riddance. I'm actually shocked that they have agreed to a deal if they actually have.

If Peavy says no, KW is going to have to do a lot of backpedaling when talking about finances. I'm sure he'll give the line JR was willing to bust the budget by $10 million to get the "right guy". The right guy being a guy who is hesitant to pitch in the AL.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:24 AM)
+1

I just know he is going to be a little b**** and "prefer to stay in the NL"

The reporter on the SCORE was very interesting. He basically said that Peavy will do what is in the best interest of the Padres and does not want to leave. He sounds even more low key than Buerhle.