Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:28 PM)
FWIW... Schuster on the Score said he fully expects Peavy to decline this deal due to the concern about pitching in a launching pad such as US Cellular....

If this is seriously the deal breaker, all I see him as is gutless. Any pitcher that doesn't welcome a challenge and opportunity to prove himself is someone I just can't respect... even if that pitcher is a perrenial Cy Young candidate.

Edited by SmashROT

As I said before, the longer it goes on, the more likely it is to get done.

If Peavy didnt want to go to the AL and there was no chance hed come to the Sox, hed say no immediately, he wouldnt need to discuss it or think about it.

There is no reason for him to think it over, unless its about the option year. And if thats the case then SD and Sox should go Solomon on it and just split the baby.

Sox on the hook for half, Pads on the hook for Half (of the option). Pads get him off their books, Sox dont have to worry about a crazy option salary, Peavy gets more money.

Everyone wins, I hope they think of this.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 21, 2009 -> 06:31 PM)
It's funny how this is gonna turn out. If Peavy excepts the trade, I love him. If he declines it, he's going into a group of my top 5 most hated ball players.

haha exactly...thats why I added the question mark in my sig

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
It's funny how this is gonna turn out. If Peavy excepts the trade, I love him. If he declines it, he's going into a group of my top 5 most hated ball players.

tru dat

FWIW... Schuster on the Score said he fully expects Peavy to decline this deal due to the concern about pitching in a launching pad such as US Cellular....

Sounds like somebody speculating.

If KW has been trying to get this done for a while as was pointed out earlier in the thread, you would think that he had some conversation with Peavy that had a positive ovature. I also would add that with a trade of this magnitude, you'd have thunk if the GM's were going to put in the effort to make this move that Peavy would have been asked if he was at least interested.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 21, 2009 -> 12:31 PM)
I guess the one thing that boggles my mind is that even if he doesnt except the deal the Sox are "Buyers" and not sellers.

well, he's 27 and signed until 2012 with the big 2013 option. With the roster and the contracts as they are, the Sox were going to go through an overhaul soon anyway and have money to play with. This move wouldn't be done just for this year.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:31 AM)
I guess the one thing that boggles my mind is that even if he doesnt except the deal the Sox are "Buyers" and not sellers.

Long-term buyers. Peavy would fit perfectly into the mold of competing strong over the next 3 to 4 years, not necessarily just this year. The Sox obviously have identified the one flaw in there system which I've talked about in the past (not that I have any inside knowledge of these talks) and that is they flat out lack a premiere front of the rotation pitching prospect. So dealing to get a true ace is brilliant, especially when you have the potential for cheap bats at 3B, SS, C, 1B, and CF (Vic, Beck, Flowers, Allen, DanksII)

Schuster doesn't have any inside information. He's speculating just like we are.