Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:01 AM)
I have a hard time believing Flowers would be traded too. We have absolutely no other catching prospects and AJ is getting up there in age. The guy i'm most worried about being included is Brandon Allen

Ah, I'd give up Allen for Peavy. If it was Richard and Poreda, who I think of as two pen arms, and a bat who COULD be good, you'd have to do it.

Oh and if Getz was included, it would be alot easier now seeing how good Nix could be.

Edited by RockRaines

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:04 AM)
I assume Peavy would be asking the Sox to pick up his option year.

That is going to happen no matter what.

This trade is like the Cutler deal and the talk about Deng for Kobe. The Sox give up any player that is not named Buerhle or Quentin within the organization that the Padres want and go from there. The guy is 27 years old and an ace that is signed long term.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:03 AM)
Someone close to Peavy dismissing the trade, per the score

Bleh

All they said was SI's Jon Heyman talked to Peavy's people and they said Peavy preferred the NL Central--probably the Cubs or Brewers.

Ok, we already knew this. Now the question is, will Peavy have a change of heart. He knows he's getting traded in the next two months. HOw does he know the Padres will get a package of players good enough from one of those teams? He doesn't. So maybe Peavy rethinks this and comes to the White Sox. It could still happen.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:01 AM)
I have a hard time believing Flowers would be traded too. We have absolutely no other catching prospects and AJ is getting up there in age. The guy i'm most worried about being included is Brandon Allen

The Pads have Nick Hundley at C, so I am not sure that position is a priority. Allen would be behind Gonzalez and Kyle Blanks, so that doesnt make much sense for them either. They are week in the middle infield and the OF so I would expect any PTBNL to be from there. The Pads are trying to acquire Yuniesky Betancourt, so a 2B would be appear to be their most pressing need.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:08 AM)
When this trade falls through, will KW be willing to pick up salary elsewhere? He obviously isn't at his limit.

I'm hoping he has something else in store, because this deal doesnt look too likely if Peavy is having a bunch of other people communicate that he wants to go somewhere in the weakest division in baseball.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:11 AM)
I'm hoping he has something else in store, because this deal doesnt look too likely if Peavy is having a bunch of other people communicate that he wants to go somewhere in the weakest division in baseball.

AL Central isn't tearing it up this year.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:12 AM)
you'd have to think other teams have been digging for Peavy with deal scenarios all offseason and up until this point

the fact that *this* deal is the one getting reported could mean a lot

The only thing I am concerned about is if this is the deal that is being thrown out there to have a team(most likely the Brewers) sweeten the pot.

Kind of like what happened with the Miguel Cabrera trade to detroit

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:11 AM)

The problem is at this point of the season there are very few teams willing to admit they are out of contention, and of those few teams there are not many impact pitchers available, so outside of Peavy a deal would have to wait for at least a month while the division races continue to shake out.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:14 AM)
The only thing I am concerned about is if this is the deal that is being thrown out there to have a team(most likely the Brewers) sweeten the pot.

Kind of like what happened with the Miguel Cabrera trade to detroit

Right, and by naming player's names, teams have a target to shoot over. Not many teams would be willing to give up a Poreda and Richard though, Im sure the Cubs and Brewers dont even have two arms like that to give.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:08 AM)
When this trade falls through, will KW be willing to pick up salary elsewhere? He obviously isn't at his limit.

Same with all other trades that don't happen - we will have no idea whether or not there was even a trade discussed, and if there was, what the details were. Therefore, nothing to draw from it really, unless you want to create evidence to support your already existing bias in one way or another (i.e. Kenny is cheap).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2009 -> 09:18 AM)
Who are these "people" that these players have that are feeding lines to the media. And why is Peavy so scared to pitch in the AL? PLenty of good arms throw in the AL, you dont think you are one of them?

He must love to hit.